Jump to topic:

The Voices In My Head

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 2:56:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Last night when I was in half-sleep-half-awake mode waiting to go to sleep I heard voices. I was not startled by them because it was very dream-like and it took me a few minutes for me to realize I was 'dreaming' but still awake (I could still read the clock). The voices didnt talk to me but instead talked to eachother, which is odd because all the "voice" stories I hear are ones of the voices talking to the person. Two voices would be arguing, one voice would be stating off random facts, and another just mumbling. 90% of the speech was incomprehensible (I doubt they were even saying words, just tones that represented emotions). But what I was able to hear were phrases I had heard recently. Ex: "If you are within a half mile of the epicenter of the atomic bomb you will be vaporized instantly" and "Cars with V8 engines have eight cylinders".

It was very odd, and this is the first time this has happened...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:09:33 PM
At 7/10/2011 3:02:17 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Interesting. Not sure what else to say. If the voices tell you to kill someone, don't do what they say.

As I said they don't talk to me, they only speak to each other. Reminds me of Plato's diolouges.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:11:29 PM
At 7/10/2011 2:56:25 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Last night when I was in half-sleep-half-awake mode waiting to go to sleep I heard voices. I was not startled by them because it was very dream-like and it took me a few minutes for me to realize I was 'dreaming' but still awake (I could still read the clock). The voices didnt talk to me but instead talked to eachother, which is odd because all the "voice" stories I hear are ones of the voices talking to the person. Two voices would be arguing, one voice would be stating off random facts, and another just mumbling. 90% of the speech was incomprehensible (I doubt they were even saying words, just tones that represented emotions). But what I was able to hear were phrases I had heard recently. Ex: "If you are within a half mile of the epicenter of the atomic bomb you will be vaporized instantly" and "Cars with V8 engines have eight cylinders".

Holy crap, I know exactly what you're talking about. I read the first line, and then when I went to respond, I didn't know exactly how to word it so I went back and read yours in depth and it makes perfect sense to me. It's very strange, it's not like a direct conversation, but rather a bickering "chatter" with like a constant feeling that there are multiple people having a conversation even though I don't hear the entire conversation or even exact "words" so much. Every once in a while an extremely random seeming thought will come into my mind as if it's one of the things that someone out of the group would be saying to another except it has the sound of my voice in my head. The tones representing emotions thing is also spot on. Hasn't happened for a while now though.

I don't know if that's exactly what you're talking about but I think I'm going to research that now.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:12:10 PM
At 7/10/2011 3:11:29 PM, Denote wrote:
At 7/10/2011 2:56:25 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Holy crap, I know exactly what you're talking about. I read the first line, and then when I went to respond, I didn't know exactly how to word it so I went back and read yours in depth and it makes perfect sense to me. It's very strange, it's not like a direct conversation, but rather a bickering "chatter" with like a constant feeling that there are multiple people having a conversation even though I don't hear the entire conversation or even exact "words" so much. Every once in a while an extremely random seeming thought will come into my mind as if it's one of the things that someone out of the group would be saying to another except it has the sound of my voice in my head. The tones representing emotions thing is also spot on. Hasn't happened for a while now though.

I don't know if that's exactly what you're talking about but I think I'm going to research that now.

Oops, disregard one of those.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:14:42 PM
I wonder if it's like a coping mechanism for something. I know that when I have a big argument with someone, I can't help but think about things I should have said and replay the scene in my head for a while after. I wonder if it's like that but extra weird seeming because it has to do with sleep/dreaming.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:22:41 PM
Were you unable to move? If so, I think it's called sleep paralysis. You can have visual hallucinations too. Has something to do with your brain thinking you're asleep when you aren't yet.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:35:43 PM
were you high before you went to bed? or could you still have been sleeping?
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:39:16 PM
At 7/10/2011 3:22:41 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Were you unable to move? If so, I think it's called sleep paralysis. You can have visual hallucinations too. Has something to do with your brain thinking you're asleep when you aren't yet.

couldnt move
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:39:40 PM
At 7/10/2011 3:39:16 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/10/2011 3:22:41 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

couldnt move

Damnit I meant COULD. Yes I could move.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:41:05 PM
At 7/10/2011 3:39:57 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/10/2011 3:24:19 PM, Denote wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

That's it.

That's just the name of the phase when your thing would be happening most likely, I think.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:53:58 PM
At 7/10/2011 3:41:05 PM, Denote wrote:
At 7/10/2011 3:39:57 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/10/2011 3:24:19 PM, Denote wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

That's it.

That's just the name of the phase when your thing would be happening most likely, I think.

" Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on—or summations of—their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard"
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 2:27:22 PM
At 7/12/2011 2:13:31 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
Situation: Past midnight. Really tired. Hearing the voices bickering. One of them is british.

Thaddeus's plan for world domination must include putting thoughts into your head 0.o.
If he tells you to kill the unicorn, don't do it!!!!
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 12:55:49 AM
At 7/13/2011 2:27:22 PM, seraine wrote:
At 7/12/2011 2:13:31 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
Situation: Past midnight. Really tired. Hearing the voices bickering. One of them is british.

Thaddeus's plan for world domination must include putting thoughts into your head 0.o.
If he tells you to kill the unicorn, don't do it!!!!

I was serious LOL.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 6:11:38 PM
At 7/14/2011 4:34:37 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Exactly as planned.

we do make a fine team.
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 6:13:19 PM
if only you could kick that heroin dragon :(

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 6:14:06 PM
and me my heroin hippopotamus...