Jump to topic:

Idiotic Crooked Client

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 12:24:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've had this customer since 2001, and i had a great relationship with the decision maker for a long time. She and i got along quite well, and i enjoyed working with her, and she was happy to give me their business. Their company has grown, and we enjoyed their growth, but then she became pregnant. Never a good thing in my business, and she had twins and went part-time. She was replaced by someone who was clearly of a different style, but i did my diligence in reforming a relationship with her, but it just didn't feel right. Eventually i began to see sales fall, and i went in and presented her an agreement that was wildly advantageous for her company, but would require her to use us exclusively, it was an agreement that we routinely use, but this one was particularly aggressive in it's benefits to them. She said that it sounded like a good idea, but she didn't think so.

Meanwhile, i know that my competition is in there, and she even said that she likes to use several suppliers at once to keep them in check. - That's a stupid strategy, but fine, she's kind of stupid. The other supplier isn't the most ethical of companies, and plays the game a lot differently than we do.

Yesterday i spoke with someone who knew her and knew the situation. He told me that she takes personal gifts from her suppliers, and the supplier with the biggest gift would get their business. Now, we will give out some Redsox tickets as a courtesy to some of our good clients, but we don't engage in direct bribes to decision makers. The person who gave me this information told me that she personally profits from this supplier. OKay fine...however, this is a clear violation of the ethics of this company. This particular client is proud of their ethics and professional partnerships, and I am confident that her management would take a very dim view of her behavior. My dilema is, what should i do. Should i blow the whistle? The accusation could push back at me very negatively. I've written off the business, but she just irritates me, and i hate to just let it go without so much as a shot fired across her bow.

Like Badger, i'm really just venting here, and seeing my thoughts on the screen, before i do something stupid.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 12:36:56 PM
At 7/19/2011 12:24:02 PM, innomen wrote:
...she personally profits from this supplier. OKay fine...however, this is a clear violation of the ethics of this company.

Isn't it also a clear violation of the law? It would be here.

I would go above her head...she is damaging her company's profitability by giving business to suppliers who are not, necessarily, giving her employers the best value for money.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 12:43:32 PM
At 7/19/2011 12:36:56 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
...she personally profits from this supplier. OKay fine...however, this is a clear violation of the ethics of this company.

I would go above her head...she is damaging her company's profitability by giving business to suppliers who are not, necessarily, giving her employers the best value for money.

If she was receiving cash, then it would be a problem, but she's receiving nice gifts, some of which she is selling. It gets fuzzy on that. I'm very tempted to send a note to her manager, but i am unsure where that would go from there, and if it would trace back to me. If it were just me I'd do something, but i represent my company, and they run like a little girl at the thought of legal issues.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 12:49:50 PM
At 7/19/2011 12:44:55 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Talk about the new manager with the Mother of twins.

I cant really relate to this for obvious reasons.

Obvious reasons aren't so obvious to me.

I've been tossing that around. The mother with twins now works for this woman, who is half her intelligence.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 12:52:20 PM
I would go to her manager so fast that [insert joke relating to excess speed with excess gifts].

If you've basically already written off working with them in the future because of this habit, there really isn't anything to lose. The only question is how to go about it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 12:53:27 PM
At 7/19/2011 12:49:50 PM, innomen wrote:

I've been tossing that around. The mother with twins now works for this woman, who is half her intelligence.

That can pose problems, but if the mother of the Twins has a better relationship with her boss's boss, she might make a better whistle blower.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 12:57:09 PM
At 7/19/2011 12:53:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/19/2011 12:49:50 PM, innomen wrote:

That can pose problems, but if the mother of the Twins has a better relationship with her boss's boss, she might make a better whistle blower.

I wouldn't do that to her, nor would i presume that she would do that for me. I do have to figure the best course of action. It is a clear disservice to her company.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 12:59:34 PM
At 7/19/2011 12:43:32 PM, innomen wrote:

If she was receiving cash, then it would be a problem, but she's receiving nice gifts, some of which she is selling. It gets fuzzy on that. I'm very tempted to send a note to her manager, but i am unsure where that would go from there, and if it would trace back to me.
If yer talking in terms of email, yes, it can probably be traced to your ISP at the very least (might be worse if you aren't using web-based email), and who knows what the ISP might be tricked into revealing by someone sending an "abuse" complaint.

So, write out what you want said.

Have someone on the other side of the country who isn't in your business send it.

No risk of it being traced to you then, unless the world is nuts.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:04:06 PM
At 7/19/2011 12:59:34 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

If she was receiving cash, then it would be a problem, but she's receiving nice gifts, some of which she is selling. It gets fuzzy on that. I'm very tempted to send a note to her manager, but i am unsure where that would go from there, and if it would trace back to me.
If yer talking in terms of email, yes, it can probably be traced to your ISP at the very least (might be worse if you aren't using web-based email), and who knows what the ISP might be tricked into revealing by someone sending an "abuse" complaint.

Have someone on the other side of the country who isn't in your business send it.

Unless the owners are in on it, they aren't going to dig much into the ISP of the sender. They'll likely look into the actual accusations (espeically if any evidence is provided). The only reason they'd hunt down the sender would be if they are trying to silence the sender.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:07:29 PM
At 7/19/2011 1:04:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/19/2011 12:59:34 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Unless the owners are in on it, they aren't going to dig much into the ISP of the sender. They'll likely look into the actual accusations (espeically if any evidence is provided). The only reason they'd hunt down the sender would be if they are trying to silence the sender.

This is prima facie true, but it's a needless risk, and innomen seems too concerned to do anything with it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:09:02 PM
Innomen, offer her some amazing gift, and laze it with Anthrax... That'll teach her.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:10:53 PM
this is a clear violation of the ethics of this company. This particular client is proud of their ethics and professional partnerships, and I am confident that her management would take a very dim view of her behavior. My dilema is, what should i do. Should i blow the whistle? The accusation could push back at me very negatively. I've written off the business, but she just irritates me, and i hate to just let it go without so much as a shot fired across her bow.

Like Badger, i'm really just venting here, and seeing my thoughts on the screen, before i do something stupid.:

That's a tough decision. On the one hand, your competition is your competition, and eradicating them ultimatlely helps you. That said, it could backfire on you while you gain nothing. For instance, suppose you go in there and inform upper management about the bribes, yet have no hard evidence -- just hearsay.

Upper management might in fact make an inquiry, but now she knows it's you that dropped dimes. Because there is no hard evidence, nothing really happens to them, but now they know it was you.

If you don't gain anything by blowing the whistle, don't do it.

That's all the advice I can give without knowing all the details.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:13:50 PM
At 7/19/2011 1:10:53 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
this is a clear violation of the ethics of this company. This particular client is proud of their ethics and professional partnerships, and I am confident that her management would take a very dim view of her behavior. My dilema is, what should i do. Should i blow the whistle? The accusation could push back at me very negatively. I've written off the business, but she just irritates me, and i hate to just let it go without so much as a shot fired across her bow.

Like Badger, i'm really just venting here, and seeing my thoughts on the screen, before i do something stupid.:

That's a tough decision. On the one hand, your competition is your competition, and eradicating them ultimatlely helps you. That said, it could backfire on you while you gain nothing. For instance, suppose you go in there and inform upper management about the bribes, yet have no hard evidence -- just hearsay.

Upper management might in fact make an inquiry, but now she knows it's you that dropped dimes. Because there is no hard evidence, nothing really happens to them, but now they know it was you.

insert a sting opperation.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:18:00 PM

That's the most helpful post. You are correct, i ultimately would gain nothing, except a little satisfaction. I would do it fairly anonymously, and I'm not concerned that some Counter Terrorism Unit will trace the letter back to me. It's friggin' paperclips. So really my motive is truly revenge, not personal profit.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:33:23 PM
At 7/19/2011 1:18:00 PM, innomen wrote:

That's the most helpful post. You are correct, i ultimately would gain nothing, except a little satisfaction. I would do it fairly anonymously, and I'm not concerned that some Counter Terrorism Unit will trace the letter back to me. It's friggin' paperclips. So really my motive is truly revenge, not personal profit.

You would gain the satisfaction of knowing you did the right thing, which is worth a lot.

Maybe you could afford to lose her business but if she was dismissed somebody more deserving would take up her post. You should give them a chance.

Also, even though the 'bribes' are not cash, and may be legal, they are still benefits in kind, and, therefore, taxable: the IRS might be interested to hear from you on the matter.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:35:41 PM

Is it revenge or justice? Would doing it for personal profit be any better, morally?

Have they wronged you personally, or are they committing "wrongs" in general?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:50:28 PM
At 7/19/2011 1:35:41 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Is it revenge or justice? Would doing it for personal profit be any better, morally?

Doesn't matter. If you see somebody benefitting from wrong-doing it is your moral duty to bring them to account.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:54:43 PM
Just a suggestion. But examine its viability in relation to your business.

Go to her seniors with the latest offer. Tell them that you have been their preferred supplier since early days of company and now you are concerned as you are losing business in spite of clearly providing the best deal for them. When asked about why you are bypassing the lady, you can complain that she did not give serious consideration to your offer. You can point out that you are their old partner while she is a new employee. You might be able to drop hints about something being wrong. Let them investigate after that.

You are well within you limits. You lose nothing. Even if upper management is hand in glove with her, I can't see a loss for you as you have already given up on doing business with them. However you have to take care to do it politely (which I am sure you will manage). You might regain the business. And just maybe, the sweet revenge...

If you have someone responsible for marketing, you might consider asking them to do this for you. That will give you a level of insulation for mending fences with this woman. On other hand, the marketing guy may not be taken as seriously. That is your call.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 1:56:35 PM
At 7/19/2011 1:35:41 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Since it's business, doing it for personal profit is a better motive. Since i am really pissed off, then i was wronged personally, and since it's essentially taking bribes at the expense of their company contracting the best possible deal then she is committing wrongs in general too.

Brian's point is one that i have considered. We are a better fit for their company for a variety of reasons. If she were replaced it might open a door that is otherwise closed.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 3:11:29 AM
At 7/19/2011 7:31:06 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
What's the address of the business? I can...take care of it.

Obvious reason: I'm unemployed.

Wanna send a note? That might work actually.
randolph7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 3:47:05 PM
At 7/19/2011 1:54:43 PM, baggins wrote:

Go to her seniors with the latest offer. Tell them that you have been their preferred supplier since early days of company and now you are concerned as you are losing business in spite of clearly providing the best deal for them. When asked about why you are bypassing the lady, you can complain that she did not give serious consideration to your offer. You can point out that you are their old partner while she is a new employee. You might be able to drop hints about something being wrong. Let them investigate after that.

You are well within you limits. You lose nothing. Even if upper management is hand in glove with her, I can't see a loss for you as you have already given up on doing business with them. However you have to take care to do it politely (which I am sure you will manage). You might regain the business. And just maybe, the sweet revenge...

If you have someone responsible for marketing, you might consider asking them to do this for you. That will give you a level of insulation for mending fences with this woman. On other hand, the marketing guy may not be taken as seriously. That is your call.

This is the best advice given so far. This is exactly what I would do -- to approach the accusation directly could backfire.
"ahh but i have indeed found the burdon of truth the, muffs have found it. oh mothy dear dear mothy"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 4:13:37 PM
At 8/2/2011 3:47:05 PM, randolph7 wrote:

This is the best advice given so far. This is exactly what I would do -- to approach the accusation directly could backfire.

It is very good advice, but upper management isn't much for spending time with their vendors, particularly office products vendors. The best i could hope for is a letter sent to someone in upper management, and i still might do that; the issue would be who in upper management that i should contact. My choices:

http://www.csgrp.com...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 4:17:25 PM
At 8/2/2011 4:13:37 PM, innomen wrote:

It is very good advice, but upper management isn't much for spending time with their vendors, particularly office products vendors. The best i could hope for is a letter sent to someone in upper management, and i still might do that; the issue would be who in upper management that i should contact. My choices:

do you watch the office?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 4:20:51 PM
At 8/2/2011 4:17:25 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 8/2/2011 4:13:37 PM, innomen wrote:

do you watch the office?

Yeah occasionally, that is essentially my job.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 3:13:24 AM
You could explain the situation to your manager and ask them their opinion. If your manager wants to back off, then you know it is not in the best interest of your company. If on the other hand, your manger complains against the new lady to her boss or asks you to do it, you can do it without fear of any repurcussions whatsoever since any potential lawsuit is now your manager's responsibility. You would bring a corrupt person to justice, and get your revenge while still following orders.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 3:45:14 AM
At 8/5/2011 3:13:24 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
You could explain the situation to your manager and ask them their opinion. If your manager wants to back off, then you know it is not in the best interest of your company. If on the other hand, your manger complains against the new lady to her boss or asks you to do it, you can do it without fear of any repurcussions whatsoever since any potential lawsuit is now your manager's responsibility. You would bring a corrupt person to justice, and get your revenge while still following orders.

I did tell my manager about her and he was pretty silent about the whole thing, almost as if saying 'do what you need to do, but don't tell me'.