Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

My team and I need input... Please.

PiperPhoenix
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:22:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Okay I need help, or rather my debate team does. Our budget is $3,000 but that's for us and our oral interpreters for the whole year. Which shouldn't be a problem assuming we can raise the rest of the money ourselves. Now we are all for it we just aren't sure how. That's where I'd like your help. I need input as to what other people would be interested in. We've already got the car wash and the bake sale, but we have something called viking fest where the different clubs can promote themselves and sell things to raise money. I need to know what other people would want to buy cause we are meeting tomorrow and I've got ideas but I need unbiased input. To see if I even got anywhere near close. If you could help us out I would totally appreciate it!
Demons run when a good man goes to war;
Night will fall and drown the sun
When a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies,
Night will fall and the dark will rise,
When a good man goes to war,
Demons run, but count the cost,
The battle's won, but the child is lost,
When a good man goes to war.
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:24:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In the past I've done charity poker tournaments (where half of the money goes to charity, half is distributed among the winners of the tournament) that have done pretty well at raising money.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
PiperPhoenix
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:28:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
That's awesome! I mean we'd have to figure out a way to like chain text it cause any type of gambling at school or on campus but knowing us we could do it. Thanks!
Demons run when a good man goes to war;
Night will fall and drown the sun
When a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies,
Night will fall and the dark will rise,
When a good man goes to war,
Demons run, but count the cost,
The battle's won, but the child is lost,
When a good man goes to war.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:28:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yard sales can be successful. Ask if people can donate some of their junk and just have a large weekend long yard sale. Though that can take some effort, since you have to go around asking for donations, find a way to store it all, then haul it out to try and sell it. Anything that doesn't get sold goes to the goodwill.

If this is a school debate club, selling shirts with the school logo or something (would need to get permission from the school) could work. Just use white t-shirts with iron on decals.

Dunking-a-nerd dunking booths.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:32:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 1:28:19 PM, PiperPhoenix wrote:
That's awesome! I mean we'd have to figure out a way to like chain text it cause any type of gambling at school or on campus but knowing us we could do it. Thanks!

No problem. Depending on the type of people who would approve you doing this, you can say what we did. We said that the money that didn't go to charity would go to the winner, as a tournament. People would put money in at the start and play with chips (not actual money). The winner of the table would get half of the original pot. This way you're not gambling money, your hosting a sports (poker is a sport by ESPN's standards) tournament in which their is an entrance fee and prize money for the winner.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:46:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 1:42:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
that makes it like a raffle, but with a game rather than pure chance.

Exactly!
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
PiperPhoenix
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:48:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Okay it's official! You guys are Bloody Geniuses! Thank You so much.
Demons run when a good man goes to war;
Night will fall and drown the sun
When a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies,
Night will fall and the dark will rise,
When a good man goes to war,
Demons run, but count the cost,
The battle's won, but the child is lost,
When a good man goes to war.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 2:24:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 1:46:00 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
At 7/22/2011 1:42:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
that makes it like a raffle, but with a game rather than pure chance.

Exactly!

I was actually thinking raffle earlier, but thought that it wouldn't work well with younger kids (how many kids enjoy raffles?), I didn't think of putting a game with it.

Also, if the school has any issues with "poker" you could really do any game, where the winner (or 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, or whatever breakdown you want) gets the prize money.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 3:02:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 2:24:51 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/22/2011 1:46:00 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
At 7/22/2011 1:42:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
that makes it like a raffle, but with a game rather than pure chance.

Exactly!

I was actually thinking raffle earlier, but thought that it wouldn't work well with younger kids (how many kids enjoy raffles?), I didn't think of putting a game with it.

Also, if the school has any issues with "poker" you could really do any game, where the winner (or 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, or whatever breakdown you want) gets the prize money.

Yea, in fact, you should do multiple games to appeal to multiple markets.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:40:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 1:22:08 PM, PiperPhoenix wrote:
Okay I need help, or rather my debate team does. Our budget is $3,000 but that's for us and our oral interpreters for the whole year. Which shouldn't be a problem assuming we can raise the rest of the money ourselves. Now we are all for it we just aren't sure how. That's where I'd like your help. I need input as to what other people would be interested in. We've already got the car wash and the bake sale, but we have something called viking fest where the different clubs can promote themselves and sell things to raise money. I need to know what other people would want to buy cause we are meeting tomorrow and I've got ideas but I need unbiased input. To see if I even got anywhere near close. If you could help us out I would totally appreciate it!

How about selling opportunities to do a favor for an elderly person, or someone who is ill and can't do things for themselves. Anyone who buys a ticket can have a member go mow the lawn of an elderly lady, or take someone a meal, go get groceries for them, take them some flowers, etc. It's just a way to do something very nice for someone in need, and help out a good cause at the same time.
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 2:08:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
When I raised money for my Academic Decatholon team, we made chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate colored strawberries and sold them. Depending on the demand the price ranged from 1-5 dollars.

We raised 300 bucks in an hour.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 9:14:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
You could sell spirit wear... (Debate shirts, or even just shirts that show support for your school)
My madre's website - http://stitches-n-stones.com...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.