Jump to topic:

Guns!!!

tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 2:34:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So I've been working on my first AR-15 build and I'm just a few parts short of completion (granted they're very important parts). Has anyone here done an AR build before? If so what did you put on it and how did it turn out?
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 1:18:30 PM
At 7/23/2011 2:34:19 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
So I've been working on my first AR-15 build and I'm just a few parts short of completion (granted they're very important parts). Has anyone here done an AR build before? If so what did you put on it and how did it turn out?

Are you doing a complete build or matching a complete lower to a complete upper and adding all the bling?

I've built six from nothing but a stripped lower.

What manufacture are you using? I like LMT myself. And for the bling I try to use YHM and Magpul.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 2:28:24 PM
All I know are FN P90's, ArmaLite AR-18's, Bushmaster M17S (Bull-Pup)'s, DIO KH2002 / Khaybar's, Heckler & Koch HK XM8's, IMI Galil ARM's, Vektor CR-21's, Agram 2000's, Ares FMG (Folding Machine Gun)'s, Heckler & Koch HK MP5SD's, and TDI Vector (KRISS Super V)'s and even then I only sell them.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 2:47:47 PM
At 7/26/2011 1:18:30 PM, jharry wrote:

Are you doing a complete build or matching a complete lower to a complete upper and adding all the bling?

What manufacture are you using? I like LMT myself. And for the bling I try to use YHM and Magpul.

I got a SOG arms stripped lower, then bought a Magpul moe butt-stock, then a Magpul moe grip, then a Magpul moe trigger guard, then a bolt carrier assembly and Magpul rear aperture sight plus a charging handle latch. I just ordered a lower parts kit and mags which will be here today or tomorrow and I'm just waiting for the BCM upper assembly I want to be in stock and then I'll just go the the local gun store to grab a charging handle. The upper and lower receivers are black and the barrel will be either black or chrome and everything else is flat dark earth.

Luckily my dad built his first AR just before the gun craze when Obama was elected so I have his experience to benefit from. He made the mistake of not using any light weight parts or accessories so it weighs a ton which would be nice if we were doing any competition shooting but he and I just plink and hunt and in east Texas there aren't any clearings (unless you're by a telephone line) bigger than 50 yards across.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:39:55 AM
At 7/26/2011 2:47:47 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 7/26/2011 1:18:30 PM, jharry wrote:

I got a SOG arms stripped lower, then bought a Magpul moe butt-stock, then a Magpul moe grip, then a Magpul moe trigger guard, then a bolt carrier assembly and Magpul rear aperture sight plus a charging handle latch. I just ordered a lower parts kit and mags which will be here today or tomorrow and I'm just waiting for the BCM upper assembly I want to be in stock and then I'll just go the the local gun store to grab a charging handle. The upper and lower receivers are black and the barrel will be either black or chrome and everything else is flat dark earth.

Luckily my dad built his first AR just before the gun craze when Obama was elected so I have his experience to benefit from. He made the mistake of not using any light weight parts or accessories so it weighs a ton which would be nice if we were doing any competition shooting but he and I just plink and hunt and in east Texas there aren't any clearings (unless you're by a telephone line) bigger than 50 yards across.

Sounds good. Buying a complete upper from a good manufacturer is the smart thing to do. I've built three uppers myself and ran into headspacing issues with one of them. It's not common in the AR but when it does it's a pain in the rear.

What kind of upper? Free floating hand guard? I like the four rail full length. A little more weight but the longer gas system is cooler and reliable. Plus you have a lot more room to mount lights, grips and other goodies.

If you going for hunting and target alone I like the free float aluminum tube types. But with the four rail you can still mount a bipod and the full length gives you a longer site distance.

Are you going with a carry handle upper or a rail?
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 11:25:23 AM
I'm getting a 16" lightweight BCM upper with an A2 front sight from Bravocompany.com and I'm going to have them install a Magpul moe handguard on it before they ship it. My dad's is a free floating quad rail setup and I just kind of wanted to do something different. In fact, the reason I'm doing an AR build is because I was originally saving up to buy an MSAR stg .556 but MSAR went belly up and now they're tough to find plus I didn't like the idea that they were going to stop making spare parts. The AR ended up being a pretty good alternative because of the sheer modularity of the platform.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 11:37:46 AM
I'm calling the police and having these weapons confiscated immediately. Please stay where you are and wait for the authorities to arrive and take control of the situation.
Rob
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 12:05:40 PM
At 7/27/2011 11:37:46 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I'm calling the police and having these weapons confiscated immediately. Please stay where you are and wait for the authorities to arrive and take control of the situation.

Lulz
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 1:09:06 PM

Lol. Tell em to bring back up.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 1:23:08 PM
At 7/27/2011 11:25:23 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
I'm getting a 16" lightweight BCM upper with an A2 front sight from Bravocompany.com and I'm going to have them install a Magpul moe handguard on it before they ship it. My dad's is a free floating quad rail setup and I just kind of wanted to do something different. In fact, the reason I'm doing an AR build is because I was originally saving up to buy an MSAR stg .556 but MSAR went belly up and now they're tough to find plus I didn't like the idea that they were going to stop making spare parts. The AR ended up being a pretty good alternative because of the sheer modularity of the platform.

Have you seen the ACR? I'm thinking about getting myself one for my Bday.
http://www.bushmaster.com...

Sounds like your wanting a plinker/hunter. You do know the regular two piece handcarts can effect accuracy. I admit it's not noticeable unless your trying to put rounds thru the same hole but it is there. But you may not be concerned about that.

If you are after accuracy I have a few tips.

I prefer a tactical platform for my black guns. Thinking about selling most everything a going with the ACR though. Everything except my AK pistol though. I did some playing with an extra hammer and have a spare folding stock laying around. In case lasagna sends the law on day.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 10:49:51 PM
At 7/27/2011 7:10:09 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
@jharry: A relative of mine has an ACR. Its a good gun. I prefer it to the AR15. Though M14 is still the best :P

The M14 is an awesome weapon. But it is heavy and the 7.62x51 round is also very heavy when compared to the 5.56 round. You can carry twice as much ammo for a AR then you can the M14. Even the M14 is nearly useless when you have no ammo.

Reliability and sheer power make the M14 a mean weapon if you can pack the ammo. But if you are in a remote area I would take an AR any day.

I like the ACR because it's light and it is just as reliable as the AK due to having the same gas system. The ACR and AR are more ergonomic when compared to the AK, but the AR fouls more then the AK.

The ACR is the best of both worlds, and you can pack a couple hundred rounds. :)
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 10:56:39 PM
I've found M14 (and M1, it's predecessor) magazines to be easily stackable and easy to fit into a backpack. I can get quite a few into a vest, though low bullet per mag count is a bit of a downer.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 11:03:01 PM
At 7/27/2011 10:56:39 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
I've found M14 (and M1, it's predecessor) magazines to be easily stackable and easy to fit into a backpack. I can get quite a few into a vest, though low bullet per mag count is a bit of a downer.

Just look at like this.

Say your carrying 20lbs of ammo.

5.56 (AR-15) 650 rounds of ammo.

7.62x51 (M-14) 250 rounds of ammo.

More bang for the weight!!!
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2011 1:33:13 AM
At 7/27/2011 11:03:01 PM, jharry wrote:

Just look at like this.

And figure that, in a combat situation, you'd be spraying AR 15 ammo all over the goddam place trying to hit the vietcong or al kayduh or whatever we're dreaming about here, while an M14 is precise, one shot one kill. So unless you're using less than three bullets per target, which I doubt, m14 is the way to go.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2011 2:26:22 AM
At 7/28/2011 1:33:13 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

Just look at like this.

And figure that, in a combat situation, you'd be spraying AR 15 ammo all over the goddam place trying to hit the vietcong or al kayduh or whatever we're dreaming about here, while an M14 is precise, one shot one kill. So unless you're using less than three bullets per target, which I doubt, m14 is the way to go.

The AR-15 IS single only semi-auto. And who uses an AR in combat unless you count home defense?
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2011 12:56:43 PM
At 7/28/2011 2:26:22 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:

Just look at like this.

The AR-15 IS single only semi-auto. And who uses an AR in combat unless you count home defense?

Good point.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 2:57:14 PM
http://thehomegunsmith.com... This may be of some interest.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 8:07:53 PM

Just look at like this.

The majority if 11B grade soldiers are equipped and trained with semi and three round burst. One shot one kill is hammered into these boys. A typical squad will have a lite machine gunner for suppression fire, but the rest will have three round burst.

They can have tons of ammo, even the finest M14 turns into a heavy club when the ammo runs out.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 8:11:36 PM

Just look at like this.

And to be honest, the best home defense weapon is a 12ga shotgun. I load a heavy shot. It still inflicts massive tissue damage but doesn't have a high collateral damage risk.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 1:52:30 AM
At 7/31/2011 8:11:36 PM, jharry wrote:

Just look at like this.

And to be honest, the best home defense weapon is a 12ga shotgun. I load a heavy shot. It still inflicts massive tissue damage but doesn't have a high collateral damage risk.

You might be interested: http://www.the-backup.com...
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 5:21:52 AM
At 7/27/2011 1:09:06 PM, jharry wrote:

Lol. Tell em to bring back up.
and a lot of body bags.
turn down for h'what
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 9:02:51 AM
At 8/1/2011 1:52:30 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/31/2011 8:11:36 PM, jharry wrote:

Just look at like this.

You might be interested: http://www.the-backup.com...

That is nice, I've seen setups for pistols before but never shotguns. I'll look into that. Right now my 20in pistol grip stands between my head board and nightstand. Grip up. I made a stand where the barrel slides down over a nub on a plate. Works pretty good. The shotgun gets dusty, buts that really a good thing. It's hell having to kill a man.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 9:13:33 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:29:52 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
You've killed a guy?

Lol, I can't say that I have.
Rockylightning