Jump to topic:

Giving Up Possessions

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 8:13:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have long been planning to live without money. But just today after mediating for long hours I decided that I am going to go one step further and give up all possessions besides the cloths on my back. This will make it so I will be considerably less active here, as I will only log on when borrowing access to a computer.

Your thoughts?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 8:28:58 PM
At 7/31/2011 8:13:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I have long been planning to live without money. But just today after mediating for long hours I decided that I am going to go one step further and give up all possessions besides the cloths on my back. This will make it so I will be considerably less active here, as I will only log on when borrowing access to a computer.

Your thoughts?

Why???
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 8:47:25 PM
At 7/31/2011 8:28:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 7/31/2011 8:13:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Your thoughts?

Why???

Somewhere inside me some emotional claw is tugging at me that I can't ignore.

It baffles me how everyone goes with the flow. I question how they can even feel real; feel alive.

To do something so unconventional gives a feeling like no other, it lets you know who you are, it makes you fully a person. It gives you life. It defines you.

It's some existential romanticist bullsh!t of mine, or something like that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 8:51:38 PM
You can send your money to me :)

But seriously though... have you thought of what you're going to do afterward? How you're going to live?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 8:58:19 PM
At 7/31/2011 8:51:38 PM, nonentity wrote:
You can send your money to me :)

But seriously though... have you thought of what you're going to do afterward? How you're going to live?

It's of a lesser concern to me.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 9:17:15 PM
Ah, the glory of living as an hobo! Practically unlimited free time, all the crackhead prostitutes you could want *sigh* fond memories. Or you could simply move out and live in some undeveloped desert territory within a shack and invite other hobo's and homeless people to live with you.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 10:31:24 PM
I see where you are going with this Freedo but I personally believe that you are taking it a tad too far. I would suggest that, before you go and make this drastic change, that you think clearly about what you're doing. If you over-do it and fail, then you won't have gained much in the effort.

I would say that there is a difference between necessity and luxury. Throwing away luxuries is great, but if you also discard the necessities then I believe you will fail. As long as you aren't sporting name-brand stuff, there's no reason you shouldn't have a full compliment of clothing appropriate to the weather in your area. A place to live and a reliable means to procure food are also primary, and in order to work for the food you need tools and training. Basic furniture (wooden chairs as opposed to couches) is also probably along the lines of necessity.
Rob
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 11:25:40 PM
You are going the same road as Buddha. Giving up all your possessions and living a bear life was what he first did. After Enlightenment he didn't live a life of poverty, but rather lived simply, with few necessary possessions.

I agree with Lasagna.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:11:37 AM
Send your money to me and I won't bug you with any "but seriously's"
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:01:28 AM
I'm not sure if your motives are along the lines that Rob stated, or if it's about the mindset of material possessions owning you, you not owning them. We live in a very materialistic, and status conscious world and it is an admirable goal to not be caught up in this nonsense, but this can be achieved without subjecting yourself to a live of deprivation. Being absolutely honest with yourself, and knowing when you are falling into the trap that most everyone else lives in can happen, but it takes some self discipline. My goal is to live a humble and simple life, but we live in times that berate a humble life, and they are complicated times, so it takes great effort.

I would suggest that you at least consider spending some time with these guys: http://www.westonpriory.org... you don't have to convert or anything at all like that, but spend time thinking about life and what's truly important, and how to live in peace. This experience changed me quite a bit, and put things like materialism in perspective for me at a time when such values are completely contrary to the society that we live in. There are other such places in California that can accomplish the same thing for you.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:01:45 AM
At 7/31/2011 10:31:24 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I see where you are going with this Freedo but I personally believe that you are taking it a tad too far. I would suggest that, before you go and make this drastic change, that you think clearly about what you're doing. If you over-do it and fail, then you won't have gained much in the effort.

I would say that there is a difference between necessity and luxury. Throwing away luxuries is great, but if you also discard the necessities then I believe you will fail. As long as you aren't sporting name-brand stuff, there's no reason you shouldn't have a full compliment of clothing appropriate to the weather in your area. A place to live and a reliable means to procure food are also primary, and in order to work for the food you need tools and training. Basic furniture (wooden chairs as opposed to couches) is also probably along the lines of necessity.

There is no failing here because there is no ends. I honestly don't care if I starve to death but I don't think I will anyway.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:03:51 AM
At 8/1/2011 3:01:28 AM, innomen wrote:
I'm not sure if your motives are along the lines that Rob stated, or if it's about the mindset of material possessions owning you, you not owning them. We live in a very materialistic, and status conscious world and it is an admirable goal to not be caught up in this nonsense, but this can be achieved without subjecting yourself to a live of deprivation. Being absolutely honest with yourself, and knowing when you are falling into the trap that most everyone else lives in can happen, but it takes some self discipline. My goal is to live a humble and simple life, but we live in times that berate a humble life, and they are complicated times, so it takes great effort.

I would suggest that you at least consider spending some time with these guys: http://www.westonpriory.org... you don't have to convert or anything at all like that, but spend time thinking about life and what's truly important, and how to live in peace. This experience changed me quite a bit, and put things like materialism in perspective for me at a time when such values are completely contrary to the society that we live in. There are other such places in California that can accomplish the same thing for you.

Even if this isn't the "right" way to go about it. I feel it is a necessary experience.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:22:12 AM
At 8/1/2011 3:03:51 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Even if this isn't the "right" way to go about it. I feel it is a necessary experience.

I don't think it's 'wrong' necessarily; in fact all experiences are good, even bad ones, if you have learned from them. I wish you peace in your endeavors, but hope you are fully prepared. I assume you'll still be living at home and won't be on the streets or anything like that.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:26:10 AM
Firstly, I wish you the best of luck, but I'll tell you something. You can take it or leave it or disregard it, but I'd feel better if I said it.

People are dependent of each other, that is why we have a society. We need other people to learn about science so we can advance technologically, we need other people to build homes, make clothes, grow food, so our individual lives can be easier. We need other people to observe life and amass a record of the observations, so we can learn in days what took others a life time. Modernized people isolated from this ever giving society tend to suffer. I cannot pretend to understand why you have chosen this path, and I won't say anything against it, but I want you to at least hear this. You need people, you need these objects. They are not necessarily a weakness, you can make them a strength if you choose, like many have done.

If you don't care for any of that (above), then at least remember this extremely important thing:

Regret is an acute and inexplicably maddening manifestation of torture. Never let yourself bear regret.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:59:17 AM
At 8/1/2011 3:22:12 AM, innomen wrote:

I don't think it's 'wrong' necessarily; in fact all experiences are good, even bad ones, if you have learned from them. I wish you peace in your endeavors, but hope you are fully prepared. I assume you'll still be living at home and won't be on the streets or anything like that.

No, I'll certainly be on the streets.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 4:00:46 AM
At 8/1/2011 3:26:10 AM, 000ike wrote:
Firstly, I wish you the best of luck, but I'll tell you something. You can take it or leave it or disregard it, but I'd feel better if I said it.

People are dependent of each other, that is why we have a society. We need other people to learn about science so we can advance technologically, we need other people to build homes, make clothes, grow food, so our individual lives can be easier. We need other people to observe life and amass a record of the observations, so we can learn in days what took others a life time. Modernized people isolated from this ever giving society tend to suffer. I cannot pretend to understand why you have chosen this path, and I won't say anything against it, but I want you to at least hear this. You need people, you need these objects. They are not necessarily a weakness, you can make them a strength if you choose, like many have done.

If you don't care for any of that (above), then at least remember this extremely important thing:

Regret is an acute and inexplicably maddening manifestation of torture. Never let yourself bear regret.

Interaction with other people is very much at the center of all of this. No worries there.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 4:15:31 AM
At 8/1/2011 3:59:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 8/1/2011 3:22:12 AM, innomen wrote:

No, I'll certainly be on the streets.

I don't know that you are adequately prepared for something like that. You may be, but FREEDO it's a brutal and savage world that you're opting toward, and the net benefit could be minimal if at all.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 6:50:27 AM
Reply: Live through your excitement. That is your true path. If your excitement is telling you to do this... Then you must. For it will take you to the next step on your journey.

Be strong. Live true.

Love and Light to you brother. Good luck.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 6:59:25 AM
At 7/31/2011 11:25:40 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
You are going the same road as Buddha. Giving up all your possessions and living a bear life was what he first did.

Buddha turned into a bear?
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 10:15:50 AM
meet my uncle: http://www.johnmoriarty.info...

first i've looked into his ideas myself. this thread reminded me of him. cheers freedo :)
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 10:18:59 AM
A 17 year old taking an extreme action and saying that the implications of his actions are of little concequence to him after not thinking things through (or not caring about what it means), surprise surprise.

How-a-bout, just back-packing through Europe with nothing but your clothes and a backpack (like so many kids do)? That way, when you get tired, hungry, and cold, you have something to come back to?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 11:20:30 AM
Freedo, I did the exact same thing a few years ago, and was put in a mental hospital for it.

It's fun, and definitely worth trying out.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 11:44:18 AM
If you need food you can always come to me for some KFC, just put the title of everything you own in my name.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 11:49:16 AM
At 8/1/2011 3:01:45 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/31/2011 10:31:24 PM, Lasagna wrote:

There is no failing here because there is no ends. I honestly don't care if I starve to death but I don't think I will anyway.

I never said there were any ends. But are your means pure? You say they are because you are chasing self-sacrifice, but what if I told you that there was vice even in self-sacrifice? Being able to say "I can survive with nothing" is vain (and therefore proud). Don't try to become the opposite of what you hate; these means are not just. Becoming the opposite of a rich snob doesn't mean you're going to become humble and pure. Virtue and vice are intertwined within each person in extreme complexity and you aren't supposed to be able to reduce every person to their moral constituencies. Moral analysis works on individual actions, not as grand descriptions of every individual.

You should try to remove your consideration of the ends from your moral equation; you should not try to decide your moral ends (poverty) and ignore your means to achieve that goal. Morality is accomplished by slow-and-sure actions towards the rejection of personal vice, not by taking everything and throwing it away in a blaze of glory. The idea of ends not justifying the means necessarily entails that you don't know what the purest ends are. If your actions are continuously moral then you will settle into a moral state without having to make drastic, rash decisions. This would work equally well for Bill Gates as it would for you.
Rob
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 11:59:32 AM
At 8/1/2011 11:57:44 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
I agree with Lasagna.

Being a rich snob and a poor hipster douche are polar opposites and in that way, identical.

Understand this, and you'll get what Buddha meant by "The Middle Path"

Which tends to apply to a lot of different things.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp