Jump to topic:

Back to School ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 11:10:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here we are yet again, and the Summer has almost passed away. I cannot believe just how quickly she has gone. It is August 2011 now and the kids will be getting ready for another adventure soon. But before they do, let me ask you a question.
What was your first day of school like ? Did you enjoy it, or was it an absolute nightmare ? Give us your story please. Can you remember back as far as Kindergarten or 1st grade. I can. Lets roll.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:00:57 PM
At 8/1/2011 11:54:47 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/1/2011 11:51:40 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
dont remind me

Come on Rock. School aint so bad. Think about the girls.

I can think about the girls more during the summer.

Its not the learning I hate, its the method of teaching.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:04:53 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:00:57 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
dont remind me

The method of teaching comes from a very fractured educational system.
The teachers can only teach what they know themselves which is not always suited for the modern day world. Most books are outdatedand useless. Schools should be more abstract and should increase their social studies. And the kids should decide which course they wish to take instead.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:08:27 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:04:53 PM, inferno wrote:
At 8/1/2011 12:00:57 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
dont remind me

The method of teaching comes from a very fractured educational system.
The teachers can only teach what they know themselves which is not always suited for the modern day world. Most books are outdatedand useless. Schools should be more abstract and should increase their social studies. And the kids should decide which course they wish to take instead.

Honestly, teachers are forced to teach "State Standards" from their textbook. It limits the ammount of actual teaching they have to do and replaces it with busywork focused on memorizing facts from a book.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:12:40 PM
My next year will be incredible: I am taking Regents examinations in world history, advanced algebra and trigonmetry, English, and others in the month of June and, if I am attending the AP class of world history, one of them in May.

Soon the days of writing essays, studying for tests, rallying through the monotonous halls, and waiting, patiently, outside the gym lockers will return. I gladly welcome those days since it is ineluctable that the school year will begin again. Once, I was a freshman; now, I'm a sophomore. One year has passed, and three more, fleeting and temporal years are to come....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:22:31 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:12:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
My next year will be incredible: I am taking Regents examinations in world history, advanced algebra and trigonmetry, English, and others in the month of June and, if I am attending the AP class of world history, one of them in May.

Soon the days of writing essays, studying for tests, rallying through the monotonous halls, and waiting, patiently, outside the gym lockers will return. I gladly welcome those days since it is ineluctable that the school year will begin again. Once, I was a freshman; now, I'm a sophomore. One year has passed, and three more, fleeting and temporal years are to come....

Man Is Good. Wow ! You sound very excited. LOL
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:25:01 PM

Soon the days of writing essays, studying for tests, rallying through the monotonous halls, and waiting, patiently, outside the gym lockers will return. I gladly welcome those days since it is ineluctable that the school year will begin again. Once, I was a freshman; now, I'm a sophomore. One year has passed, and three more, fleeting and temporal years are to come...

I'm also taking Algebra 2 Trig.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:29:32 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:25:01 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

What grade are you currently enrolling in (sophomore or junior)? In addition, I would inquire about the following topics: what is the curriculum for literature and English at your high school (in that, does your school emphasis literary analysis, or composition? If it stresses literary analysis, what are the generic types of books read there [[Novels, poems, anthologies, nonfiction--essays, in particular--,]]? If it stresses composition, what do students, ranging from freshmen to seniors, write: poems, essays, and so on?

As you can tell, I am a fan of reading and writing. Literacy is a gift, and deserves to be harnessed to other means.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:31:19 PM
Man Is Good. Reading and writing can help you expand your horizons even more
so than math. There is so many avenues this gift can take you if you use it
well. Literature is not to be taken lightly my friend. Use it well, I know I do.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:36:09 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:31:19 PM, inferno wrote:
Use it well, I know I do.
Your posts are a textbook example of how not to write or voice one's issues, concerns, and opinions.

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:37:56 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:36:09 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Your posts are a textbook example of how not to write or voice one's issues, concerns, and opinions.

Man Is Good. Nevermind my posts. I am speaking of my ideas and concepts.
Youre just boring. You could never be like Inferno. Say cheese. (camera flashing)
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:39:14 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:29:32 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/1/2011 12:25:01 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

What grade are you currently enrolling in (sophomore or junior)? In addition, I would inquire about the following topics: what is the curriculum for literature and English at your high school (in that, does your school emphasis literary analysis, or composition? If it stresses literary analysis, what are the generic types of books read there [[Novels, poems, anthologies, nonfiction--essays, in particular--,]]? If it stresses composition, what do students, ranging from freshmen to seniors, write: poems, essays, and so on?

As you can tell, I am a fan of reading and writing. Literacy is a gift, and deserves to be harnessed to other means.

Sophomore. My school emphasises literary analysis, though we do a few compositons. (1 or 2). Last year we read and analyzed: Animal Farm, Old Man and The Sea, Lord of The Flies, Romeo and Juliet, and a few others I can't remember. English is my worst class, though I got an A in the poetry and non fiction sections but a B- in the Analysis. I love reading and I can find the themes and meanings, but my essay structure is horrendous.

We also wrote poems, and we read poems from a wide variety of authors. We also did a non-fiction unit. The poetry and non fiction units were anthologies.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:41:20 PM

Interrrogator- sorry Inferno's posts are written like he is speaking out loud.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:43:24 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:41:20 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Interrrogator- sorry Inferno's posts are written like he is speaking out loud.

He must have been speaking out loud to a lady....Heh, heh, heh....

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:47:58 PM
Man Is Good. What I am saying my son is that you may not deem me to be intelligent as you technically speaking. But if you were to speak to me one on one, I assure you my deliverance would be much more resounding and profound.
You are reading way too much into my impression and from how I appear online.
But I have contacted people via telephone and they are like this. "Gee Inferno, I had no idea you were this smart and well spoken. I hope you can digest that my friend.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:51:18 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:47:58 PM, inferno wrote:
Man Is Good. What I am saying my son is that you may not deem me to be intelligent as you technically speaking. But if you were to speak to me one on one, I assure you my deliverance would be much more resounding and profound.
But I have contacted people via telephone and they are like this. "Gee Inferno, I had no idea you were this smart and well spoken. I hope you can digest that my friend.

You use a phone? It speaks! The beast can speak!
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:55:42 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:51:18 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

I know who he was speaking to....http://upload.wikimedia.org...

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:57:51 PM

Rocky. Yes, as a matter of fact I do.
And on last night I made history. There is this game call Battle Reversi. It is something like Othello, expect it is computer generated.
Anyway, I found out what the secret was as usual.
And figured out the pattern. Now the computer cannot beat me ever again
unless I let it. Even on level 3 which is HARD. And you wonder why they call
Inferno a genius here.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:26:16 PM
At 8/1/2011 12:57:51 PM, inferno wrote:

And on last night I made history. There is this game call Battle Reversi. It is something like Othello, expect it is computer generated.
Inferno a genius here.

True skill. True skill.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:29:20 PM
Rocky. Yes, this is true. I had such a difficult time beating this thing earlier.
I had this phone since Christmas and now I have it figured out. Finally !
Man vs Machine. Man always wins. Maahwwhaaahaahaa.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:30:15 PM

Inferno a genius here.

Who's this "they" you speak of?
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:41:14 PM
At 8/1/2011 3:30:15 PM, innomen wrote:

Inferno a genius here.

Who's this "they" you speak of?

His imaginary family.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:47:27 PM

That's a heavy load there bud. Good luck.

You know the meaning of the word sophmore right?
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 4:59:54 PM
While I think that the horrible standing school that school has among most students is undeserved, I think these Calvin and Hobbes strips are often all too true.

http://www.4wd4all.com...

http://www.myconfinedspace.com...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 8:59:09 PM
At 8/1/2011 3:47:27 PM, innomen wrote:

That's a heavy load there bud. Good luck.

You know the meaning of the word sophmore right?

Smart fool? I think one of my good teachers told me that.