Jump to topic:

The internet is addictive ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 11:25:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So much so that the average person spends anywhere from 6 to 8 hours per day online. But why has this machine, the computer, taken over our lives ?
Is it because we are so fixated on potraying our subconscious selves in a small
light being nothing more than self absorbed pragmatic charicatures. I would have to say that we should be ashamed of ourselves. Cell phones are just as bad, too.
But the internet is making us slaves to our own self indulgence and surreal fantasies. This cyber world is just as real as the real world. And in some cases, it is making us into something that is not so real. We are becoming void. We are turning into a bunch of mechanical toys who are operating like robots who have little or no
emotion or empathetic capacity. We are disconnected but connected by a thread. Are you worried about this ?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 11:32:47 AM
At 8/8/2011 11:25:38 AM, inferno wrote:
So much so that the average person spends anywhere from 6 to 8 hours per day online. But why has this machine, the computer, taken over our lives ?
I don't know...Perhaps it's the eclectic resources (entertainment, literature, information, and so on) that are widely avaliable on the internet.

Is it because we are so fixated on potraying our subconscious selves in a small :light being nothing more than self absorbed pragmatic charicatures.

What? How does portraying subconscious selves help us appreciate the internet?

I would have to say that we should be ashamed of ourselves. Cell phones are just as bad, too.
Yes, I do agree...

But the internet is making us slaves to our own self indulgence and surreal fantasies. This cyber world is just as real as the real world. And in some cases, it is making us into something that is not so real. We are becoming void. We are turning into a bunch of mechanical toys who are operating like robots who have little or no emotion or empathetic capacity. We are disconnected but connected by a thread. Are you worried about this ?

While I do agree with the internet making us void, I cannot quite comprehend how it is making us turn into 'a bunch of mechanical toys who are operating like robots who have little or no emotion/empathetic capacity'...

We are disconnected but connected by a thread. Are you worried about this ?
Yes. I'm glad you brought it up, though you could have tempered your verbose language in favor of a more clear and pristine one...Heh, heh, heh....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 11:38:36 AM
This sounds like a real problem, Inferno. You should get off the computer, for like, ever.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 11:50:35 AM
At 8/8/2011 11:32:47 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
I don't know...Perhaps it's the eclectic resources (entertainment, literature, information, and so on) that are widely avaliable on the internet.

Is it because we are so fixated on potraying our subconscious selves in a small :light being nothing more than self absorbed pragmatic charicatures.

I would have to say that we should be ashamed of ourselves. Cell phones are just as bad, too.
Yes, I do agree...

But the internet is making us slaves to our own self indulgence and surreal fantasies. This cyber world is just as real as the real world. And in some cases, it is making us into something that is not so real. We are becoming void. We are turning into a bunch of mechanical toys who are operating like robots who have little or no emotion or empathetic capacity. We are disconnected but connected by a thread. Are you worried about this ?

While I do agree with the internet making us void, I cannot quite comprehend how it is making us turn into 'a bunch of mechanical toys who are operating like robots who have little or no emotion/empathetic capacity'...

Yes. I'm glad you brought it up, though you could have tempered your verbose language in favor of a more clear and pristine one...Heh, heh, heh....

Man Is Good. I have to keep reminding myself that you are not spiritually inclined.
You seem to be more manual than anything. Then again, maybe I am wrong.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 11:53:04 AM
At 8/8/2011 11:50:35 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/8/2011 11:32:47 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yes, I do agree...

Man Is Good. I have to keep reminding myself that you are not spiritually inclined.
You seem to be more manual than anything. Then again, maybe I am wrong.

Inferno/Interrogator, I like how you troll. It is so elegant and so refined to the point that even the most rowdy of men can only chuckle at your comments.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 12:19:54 PM
DO NOT FEED THE TROLL Thank you.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 12:21:40 PM
At 8/8/2011 12:19:54 PM, 000ike wrote:

I WON'T ANYMORE!You welcome, 000ike...

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 12:31:38 PM
At 8/8/2011 12:19:54 PM, 000ike wrote:

It is too late. You already have. Now he will keep coming back for more.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 3:39:20 PM
The internet is a tool that I've become dependent on. I don't really view it as something that I am addicted toward anymore than i am addicted to my car, as it is a vehicle for providing me what i want or need. Just like my car, without it i am less able to get what I want or need. I have no particular emotional connection to this tool, and if i am without it for periods of time i don't have any compulsion to get back on it, so i really don't think addiction is the correct word to use.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 10:55:20 PM
I am completely addicted, like a crackwhore fiend. My fiancee - literally - rips out the cable modem when she goes to work every morning, because she is concerned about me sitting home unemployed and chatting with you freaks all day long.

I had a smartphone between September and May. I became addicted. I'm never going to own one of those devil's devices again. I see people at parties continually turn inward to those things, and it's frankly pathetic how people look when they are tuned into their phones and tuned out of their surroundings, at least when they are actually around other people. It may be a tool but a very small % of people actually use them as such.

I see that I'm addicted to a lot more too, like my heavy usage of refined foods and auto transportation, but those I feel like I have less control over because you can't do anything without a car these days and good food ain't cheap. I tell myself that once I 'make it' I'll steady myself in a stricter regimen of alternative travel and eating, but I wonder if that's just a mirage.
Rob
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 2:55:59 AM
At 8/8/2011 10:55:20 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I am completely addicted, like a crackwhore fiend. My fiancee - literally - rips out the cable modem when she goes to work every morning, because she is concerned about me sitting home unemployed and chatting with you freaks all day long.

I had a smartphone between September and May. I became addicted. I'm never going to own one of those devil's devices again. I see people at parties continually turn inward to those things, and it's frankly pathetic how people look when they are tuned into their phones and tuned out of their surroundings, at least when they are actually around other people. It may be a tool but a very small % of people actually use them as such.

I see that I'm addicted to a lot more too, like my heavy usage of refined foods and auto transportation, but those I feel like I have less control over because you can't do anything without a car these days and good food ain't cheap. I tell myself that once I 'make it' I'll steady myself in a stricter regimen of alternative travel and eating, but I wonder if that's just a mirage.

Where did you go wrong?