Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 6:35:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 22:50:10 +0530
Subject: My entry to eco soc

Name: Aayushi Gupta
Economics Hons. 1st year.

My Blog: http://aayushi-notsosimple.blogspot.com...

The article I wish to submit is the one I wrote a while back on loan application. It is attached to the email. Hope to make it, you can also browse through the blog to get a general idea my writing style.

Hope to make it through,

Yours faithfully,
Aayushi

Dear Aayushi
The article was quite informative. However, I would like you to take care of punctuational errors and inadvertent errata. You may also like to present the information more interestingly. It is prudent to substantiate if you make any asseveration, for example, you must elucidate the 'stupidest mistakes' commissioned by beleaguered borrowers. Besides I would recommend you against the colloquial tongue (stupidest); you can find a more euphemistic word. I appreciate your effort. Please wait for the results.
Regards
A M

Do I stand a chance?
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 6:36:41 AM
Applying for a loan – It's not a task!!!

There is a common joke on loans - ‘In order to get a Loan, you first need to prove that you don't need it.' Guess what? It's not entirely false. Getting a loan isn't the most breezy task on the plane, and the problem is compounded by the fact that usually, one is so desperate to get a loan, that he ends up doing the stupidest mistakes. There are a thousands of questions one comes across while applying for a loan- which bank to chose, whether to chose a bank or some private institution, the procedure, the requirements, the risks, there is this whole phobia of entering a brand new uncharted territory. But now, you can finally bid those days a firm Goodbye, for you will never have any problem applying for loans this day forth.

The first and the foremost step while applying for a certain loan, is choosing the institution that will offer the best bargain. A recognized bank is the safest bet. Internet apart from being a great place to search for loans, is also the easiest way for applying. Since the administration costs involved are lower, the lenders offer a low APR (Annual percentage rate) than they would if you apply via post, phone, or in person at the nearest branch of the said bank. The APR charged from you will depend on your risk. The higher risk you have, the higher APR they charge from you.

The next step is filling up an application form. And yes, this is done to ensure that you would be able to repay the loan in future. Thus, you fill in details of your income and existing financial commitments. The lender also obtains a copy of your credit file from the credit reference agencies to establish whether you have any outstanding county court judgments against you, are bankrupt or have a history of debt defaulting. Thus it warrants for your credit worthiness, or the lack of it.

After all the checks, if the lender is satisfied by you ( and your ability to repay the loan in the future), he will offer you the loan within a time scale ranging from a few hours to a few days. And if he isn't too happy with his ‘investigations', he has the right to refuse the loan.

Now that we have outlined the basic process, let us skirt around the edges. The loan is usually refused to the people who have a bad credit history, or have No credit history- the people who are applying for loan for the first time. The self employed, and the people with recent job changes also find it difficult to obtain loans. And moving around frequently looks suspicious too.

If you said ‘check' to any of the above, you don't need to lose heart. If you are a home owner, even with a bad credit history, your chances at securing loans through the traditional channels are higher, since the lender has an added benefit of security, – in other words an ultimate claim to your property if you default on your repayments .

But even if you don't own a house, no problème. A number of lenders specifically target the people with a bad credit. Your chances of securing a loan with them is considerably higher, albeit with a greater APR. This is quite reasonable since you are a higher risk. The extra cost can be considerable at times, but if is repaid religiously, the arrangement is temporary. Once you build up a payment history, it has the same effect as rebuilding your credit history. The black spots in your old credit history are gradually replaced by the new payment history, and you increase your chances to qualify for the standard loans with lower APR.

Remember- while securing a loan, the right time and right place can be the difference between a debt trap and a healthy debt-free life. Choose wisely.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 8:46:27 AM
I'm going to be brutally honest with you.

At 8/9/2011 6:35:44 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Is this the actual name of the course/program? Or your own shortened version?

The article I wish to submit is the one I wrote a while back on loan application.

The language here is very informal.

It is attached to the email. Hope to make it, you can also browse through the blog to get a general idea my writing style.

Hope to make it through,

The repetition here is poor form, and there is a missing word between "idea" and "my", which makes it look like you didn't proofread the email.

Yours faithfully,
Aayushi

To be honest, I've never said "Yours faithfully" in an email or letter, but I personally think the best options to go with are "Yours truly" and "Sincerely".

Now, based on your email, this is what I think: Any time you write something to a superior, or someone you are trying to impress, a general rule of thumb is to write formally and without slang (ie. "thank you", rather than "thanks", etc.). Only when they have responded, if their language is more colloquial, then you can match your speaking/writing style to theirs. But always start off formal.

The email sounds a lot like you're speaking to one of your friends.

At the end, rather than repeating a phrase you'd already used almost immediately, you might have thanked them for their time.

Dear Aayushi
The article was quite informative. However, I would like you to take care of punctuational errors and inadvertent errata. You may also like to present the information more interestingly. It is prudent to substantiate if you make any asseveration, for example, you must elucidate the 'stupidest mistakes' commissioned by beleaguered borrowers. Besides I would recommend you against the colloquial tongue (stupidest); you can find a more euphemistic word. I appreciate your effort. Please wait for the results.
Regards
A M

Do I stand a chance?

Based on the person's response, they do seem to have an issue, as they said, with "the colloquial tongue" and grammatical errors. I don't know anything about economics, so I can't give you advice on the content of your article. It is a blog, so I'm sure they're not expecting too much in the English department, but I think at least your email should have shown them you know how to write for your audience (which it didn't).

I'm only picking it apart to give you a worst case scenario, but you're not applying for an English program, and the content of your article is probably a lot more important than the form in your email. Anyway, good luck!
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 9:23:27 AM
At 8/9/2011 8:46:27 AM, nonentity wrote:
I'm going to be brutally honest with you.

Thanks a lot. That's precisely what I need now.

At 8/9/2011 6:35:44 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Is this the actual name of the course/program? Or your own shortened version?

It stands for economics society.It's kind of a slang in the campus.

The article I wish to submit is the one I wrote a while back on loan application.

The language here is very informal.

It is attached to the email. Hope to make it, you can also browse through the blog to get a general idea my writing style.

Hope to make it through,

The repetition here is poor form, and there is a missing word between "idea" and "my", which makes it look like you didn't proofread the email.

Guilty.

Yours faithfully,
Aayushi

To be honest, I've never said "Yours faithfully" in an email or letter, but I personally think the best options to go with are "Yours truly" and "Sincerely".

Now, based on your email, this is what I think: Any time you write something to a superior, or someone you are trying to impress, a general rule of thumb is to write formally and without slang (ie. "thank you", rather than "thanks", etc.). Only when they have responded, if their language is more colloquial, then you can match your speaking/writing style to theirs. But always start off formal.

The email sounds a lot like you're speaking to one of your friends.

At the end, rather than repeating a phrase you'd already used almost immediately, you might have thanked them for their time.

I guess that is something I am always accused of. So I need to show more seriousness and professionalism.

Dear Aayushi
Regards
A M

Do I stand a chance?

Based on the person's response, they do seem to have an issue, as they said, with "the colloquial tongue" and grammatical errors. I don't know anything about economics, so I can't give you advice on the content of your article. It is a blog, so I'm sure they're not expecting too much in the English department, but I think at least your email should have shown them you know how to write for your audience (which it didn't).

I'm only picking it apart to give you a worst case scenario, but you're not applying for an English program, and the content of your article is probably a lot more important than the form in your email. Anyway, good luck!

Thanks a lot. I do wish I make it through this one. Have already got rejected to the debating society ( in the interview round because of my over casualness)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 10:32:52 AM
Inadvertant errata? If only they weren't in a situation of doling out important boons to you, you could say "Right back at you." :) "Errata" means corrections, not errors.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 11:24:27 AM
At 8/9/2011 10:32:52 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Inadvertant errata? If only they weren't in a situation of doling out important boons to you, you could say "Right back at you." :) "Errata" means corrections, not errors.

Ha ha ha. His whole letter was like a brainjam for me. elucidate... beleaguered... colloquial... euphemistic... That's something definitely not good for a college magazine.

In fact, if it were the interwebz, I just might have rebutted with a cool story bro.