Total Posts:61|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is the #1 most important thing to you?

Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 10:30:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Career? Special person? Favorite activity?

I have a point I would like to make but I'd like to hear what some of your answers are first.
Rob
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 10:33:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hmm...I would say, a life to be well spent, whether in terms of one's career, childhood, life outside of work, or experience spent with family and friend.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:01:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/19/2011 10:42:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
My Avatar

But.., like this tops every other thing. How you are viewed socially among people that don't know you personally is a very important aspect in one's life. Basically, that's what is the inherent aim of every answer. A very deep answer you gave there, I thought you were bsing at first.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:02:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/19/2011 11:01:16 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 8/19/2011 10:42:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
My Avatar

But.., like this tops every other thing. How you are viewed socially among people that don't know you personally is a very important aspect in one's life. Basically, that's what is the inherent aim of every answer. A very deep answer you gave there, I thought you were bsing at first.

lol, my Avatar is my daughter.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:02:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/19/2011 10:31:52 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Happiness

Indeed!

but what makes ya happy I think is the question..

I enjoy being Engaged in things.. like playing Football.. or reading/writing interesting stuff... or drawing when I had been taking Art101.. or other such things that Fully engage you.

I also like kids.. and dogs.. and running around.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:09:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/19/2011 11:02:30 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/19/2011 10:31:52 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Happiness

Indeed!

but what makes ya happy I think is the question..

I enjoy being Engaged in things.. like playing Football.. or reading/writing interesting stuff... or drawing when I had been taking Art101.. or other such things that Fully engage you.

Things you can lose yourself in..
Possibilities aren't Considered or Weighed out... but thinking/choices happen Immediately, Freely, Spontaneously.. and without sitting there, second guessing, Action follows... and this happens Continuosly, for seconds, minutes, or hours on end... and then whenever it finishes you look back and say Awesome :o)

I also like kids.. and dogs.. and running around.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:33:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Was the single most important thing any human's life?

The activity that provokes our strongest emotions?

Our most basic instinct after breathing, eating and drinking?

Surely I'm not the only one that is going to say sex?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:40:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Answers:

Happiness (presumably Parrot's own happiness)
A life well spent... I'll take that as fulfillment
Sanity and health
daughter
Satisfaction
Career
Matt's plethora of answers
sex

If you had asked me this question a year ago, I would have answered that my education was most important. I am almost done with my master's degree and look forward to a life of intellectual pursuit. I would go to school forever if I could, learning all the secrets to life I could find.

However I had a child in September, and not long after she was born I realized that I cared a lot less about the things in my life. I had already stopped caring about my friends so much, as my party days are well behind me, but what was interesting is how my concerns for everything else dropped off so considerably. My career, education, my favorite hobby (guitar), and even my health and general well being are now moved down a notch.

Most of you are pretty young and I'm guessing don't have children, Ore Ele obviously the exception in this particular bunch, and I wanted to take a moment to briefly outline just what it's like to have a child. Once you have a child, everything you thought you cared about becomes so silly in retrospect. For me, at least, having a child didn't just add a priority at the top of my list, it effectively removed all other priorities from it.

It's funny, because I didn't think this would happen. My father always told me I was the only thing that mattered to him, and for thirty years I lived with the belief that he was just different than I was. I thought I was more self-centered than he was and that there was no way I would put a child ahead of my hopes and dreams. But I changed. I wanted to say to those of you who have at least briefly considered having a child, that if you do, you will be changed as well. It's a good change, by all means; it's an enlightenment... after all, it would have to be incredibly rewarding in order to outshine everything else you care about.
Rob
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 12:07:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/19/2011 11:09:40 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I enjoy being Engaged in things.. like playing Football.. or reading/writing interesting stuff... or drawing when I had been taking Art101.. or other such things that Fully engage you.

Things you can lose yourself in..
Possibilities aren't Considered or Weighed out... but thinking/choices happen Immediately, Freely, Spontaneously.. and without sitting there, second guessing, Action follows... and this happens Continuosly, for seconds, minutes, or hours on end... and then whenever it finishes you look back and say Awesome :o)

Here go:

A cook was butchering an ox for Duke Wen Hui.
The places his hand touched,
His shoulder leaned against,
His foot stepped on,
His knee pressed upon,
Came apart with a sound.
He moved the blade, making a noise
That never fell out of rhythm.
It harmonized with the Mulberry Woods Dance,
Like music from ancient times.
Duke Wen Hui exclaimed: "Ah! Excellent!
Your skill has advanced to this level?"
"What I follow is Tao,
The cook puts down the knife and answered:
Which is beyond all skills.
"When I started butchering,
What I saw was nothing but the whole ox.
After three years,
I no longer saw the whole ox.
"Nowadays, I meet it with my mind
Rather than see it with my eyes.
My sensory organs are inactive
While I direct the mind's movement.
"It goes according to natural laws,
Striking apart large gaps,
Moving toward large openings,
Following its natural structure.
"Even places where tendons attach to bones
Give no resistance,
Never mind the larger bones!
"A good cook goes through a knife in a year,
Because he cuts.
An average cook goes through a knife in a month,
Because he hacks.
"I have used this knife for nineteen years.
It has butchered thousands of oxen,
But the blade is still like it's newly sharpened.
"The joints have openings,
And the knife's blade has no thickness.
Apply this lack of thickness into the openings,
And the moving blade swishes through,
With room to spare!
"That's why after nineteen years,
The blade is still like it's newly sharpened.
"Nevertheless, every time I come across joints,
I see its tricky parts,
I pay attention and use caution,
My vision concentrates,
My movement slows down.
"I move the knife very slightly,
Whump! It has already separated.
The ox doesn't even know it's dead,
and falls to the ground like mud.
"I stand holding the knife,
And look all around it.
The work gives me much satisfaction.
I clean the knife and put it away."
Duke Wen Hui said: "Excellent!
I listen to your words,
And learn a principle of life."
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 4:34:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/19/2011 10:30:08 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Career? Special person? Favorite activity?

I have a point I would like to make but I'd like to hear what some of your answers are first.

#1 - My wife's happiness.

#2 - My happiness.

#3 - My family's happiness.

#4 - My friend's happiness.

#5 - Everyone else's happiness.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:10:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Facebook.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:20:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 1:14:14 AM, askboblolol wrote:
At 8/20/2011 1:10:07 AM, thett3 wrote:
Facebook.

You're really going to hate November 5th then



Kidding, I'm looking forward to that actually!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:21:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 1:06:53 AM, askboblolol wrote:
girlfriend soon to be wife

When you set an wedding date tell me so I can send you a gift of some KFC and the databases of both the CIA and FBI.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:30:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
#1 My consciousness still functioning.

#2 My liberty, but this has such a strong multiplier effect on #1 that it's worth taking great risks with either to get both.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:31:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 2:30:27 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
#1 My consciousness still functioning.

#2 My liberty, but this has such a strong multiplier effect on #1 that it's worth taking great risks with either to get both.

Liberty is just a means by which to achieve happiness. Happiness is everyone's goal.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:35:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Happiness is pretty much a tautological sum total of getting the things most important to you. Yes, it's the goal, but it doesn't really answer the question because it's not one thing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:58:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Who needs importance of anything, pffffffttttt.

"What do I feel more emotionally attached to?" seems like a more valid question for me, personally.

Even then, I'm not sure I could answer though. Or I could but it would just change a few minutes from now. I'm a very unstable man.

At the moment I'm feeling that it may be ideas. Just ideas in general.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 3:30:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 12:52:34 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
No idea.

Most accurate answer.

People may think they are shooting for happiness, but the stuff that truly is more important to them get in the way of that like personal security and ego enhancement. YOu may say that stuff is going to make you happy, but i would say you are wrong. Happiness has been devalued and misunderstood by the trite connotation that has become its denotation.

Question to the people on this site: Would you rather be happy or right? By right i mean about a position or argument that you hold to be true, and by this i mean you can be wrong about a position or argument, and be happy, or you can be correct in your argument/position and be unhappy - which is more important?
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 3:54:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
What's the issue and how is being wrong (or insecure or egoless) supposed to contribute to happiness?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 4:00:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 3:30:46 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2011 12:52:34 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
No idea.

Most accurate answer.

People may think they are shooting for happiness, but the stuff that truly is more important to them get in the way of that like personal security and ego enhancement. YOu may say that stuff is going to make you happy, but i would say you are wrong. Happiness has been devalued and misunderstood by the trite connotation that has become its denotation.

Question to the people on this site: Would you rather be happy or right? By right i mean about a position or argument that you hold to be true, and by this i mean you can be wrong about a position or argument, and be happy, or you can be correct in your argument/position and be unhappy - which is more important?

I'd rather be happy. Happiness and Ignorance vs Intelligence and bitterness. At the end of the day, who wins? Of course there is such a thing as happiness and intelligence and ignorance and bitterness. I see both from other people on a daily basis. If you're not happy and healthy, then you're not really getting the best out of life. Sucks for that person whether or not he realizes it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 9:25:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 3:54:29 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
What's the issue and how is being wrong (or insecure or egoless) supposed to contribute to happiness?

When you are married you will understand this.

It doesn't really matter what the issue is, my point is that most people think they want happiness, but actually don't shoot for it. Most people are believing that satisfying their wants will create happiness, or dealing with their fears will create happiness. Most people have as their normal unhappiness, or non-happiness and as a result think that having fun, or finding satisfaction is the same thing as happiness.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 9:33:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 3:30:46 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2011 12:52:34 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
No idea.

Most accurate answer.

People may think they are shooting for happiness, but the stuff that truly is more important to them get in the way of that like personal security and ego enhancement. YOu may say that stuff is going to make you happy, but i would say you are wrong. Happiness has been devalued and misunderstood by the trite connotation that has become its denotation.

Question to the people on this site: Would you rather be happy or right? By right i mean about a position or argument that you hold to be true, and by this i mean you can be wrong about a position or argument, and be happy, or you can be correct in your argument/position and be unhappy - which is more important?:

I think at first glance, some people tend to see "happiness" as the selfish answer. But if you really extrapolate what that means, it not only makes sense, but can also be incredibly altruistic.

For instance, most of the parents would say that their children are the most important thing. As a parent, I understand what they mean. But it is also true that their happiness creates your happiness as well. The point is happiness isn't necessarily a selfish act or a selfless act, but it is the only context for life.

You asked if truth is more important. Some truths may be inconvenient truths, but knowing that truth would make you more happy in retrospect than being ignorant. So in a roundabout way, happiness is still at the forefront.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 9:37:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
God
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 9:43:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 9:33:09 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/20/2011 3:30:46 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2011 12:52:34 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
No idea.

Most accurate answer.

People may think they are shooting for happiness, but the stuff that truly is more important to them get in the way of that like personal security and ego enhancement. YOu may say that stuff is going to make you happy, but i would say you are wrong. Happiness has been devalued and misunderstood by the trite connotation that has become its denotation.

Question to the people on this site: Would you rather be happy or right? By right i mean about a position or argument that you hold to be true, and by this i mean you can be wrong about a position or argument, and be happy, or you can be correct in your argument/position and be unhappy - which is more important?:

I think at first glance, some people tend to see "happiness" as the selfish answer. But if you really extrapolate what that means, it not only makes sense, but can also be incredibly altruistic.

For instance, most of the parents would say that their children are the most important thing. As a parent, I understand what they mean. But it is also true that their happiness creates your happiness as well. The point is happiness isn't necessarily a selfish act or a selfless act, but it is the only context for life.

You asked if truth is more important. Some truths may be inconvenient truths, but knowing that truth would make you more happy in retrospect than being ignorant. So in a roundabout way, happiness is still at the forefront.

Selfishness is also something misunderstood. Selfishness is only bad when you are doing something at the expense of someone else for personal gain, but when you are doing something that is mutually beneficial and self interest is at its heart there is nothing negative about that.
el-badgero
Posts: 1,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 10:34:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/20/2011 3:30:46 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2011 12:52:34 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
No idea.

Most accurate answer.

People may think they are shooting for happiness, but the stuff that truly is more important to them get in the way of that like personal security and ego enhancement. YOu may say that stuff is going to make you happy, but i would say you are wrong. Happiness has been devalued and misunderstood by the trite connotation that has become its denotation.

Question to the people on this site: Would you rather be happy or right? By right i mean about a position or argument that you hold to be true, and by this i mean you can be wrong about a position or argument, and be happy, or you can be correct in your argument/position and be unhappy - which is more important?

what benefit to being right besides being happy about it or happy about what it brings about? i'd be happy and wrong...
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!