Jump to topic:

BMW insurance bigots

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 3:50:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am already insured to drive a MINI - £350 a year; a motorhome (RV) - £200 and a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II - £450. All very reasonable I'm sure you'll agree.

However, I;ve just bought a BMW 320 SE Touring and the lowest quote I got was £1,800 per year. Why? It's not a particularly fast car. Are the insurance folks prejudiced against BMW drivers?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 7:55:08 AM
I have spoken to friends and family who have recently renewed their car insurance recently and it seems that the premiums have gone up between 40 and 60%.

Although there are hundreds of insurance companies to choose from, ultimately, all the policies are re-insured with Lloyds of London who took a massive hit on the Japanese tsunami.

Whilst I have every sympathy with those people affected by that natural disaster, I don't feel I should be personally responsible for compensating their losses, but the UK law says I must be insured with a UK insurer so I've got no choice.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:33:59 PM
At 8/22/2011 3:50:17 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I am already insured to drive a MINI - £350 a year; a motorhome (RV) - £200 and a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II - £450. All very reasonable I'm sure you'll agree.

However, I;ve just bought a BMW 320 SE Touring and the lowest quote I got was £1,800 per year. Why? It's not a particularly fast car. Are the insurance folks prejudiced against BMW drivers?

I've only driven a BMW twice in my life. Once, when a friend bought one and one other time when I test drove it.

I found it a bit stiff, and not very smooth like other cars (Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima, et al).

This leads me to believe that BMWs are seriously over-rated. I mean, every other college graduate who has landed a "cool" job wants to drive a BMW. Now, what's up with that? Especially those who have come from "foreign shores".

I'd personally suggest not to splurge in buying of these "imperialist" status symbols and go for a nice, cheap, value for money car like (insert cheap brand here).

I'd certainly not buy a BMW, the prominent reason being I can't afford one!
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.