Jump to topic:

The Best Hip Hop Song Out By Far

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:14:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is by far one of the best songs of the year and maybe even this decade in hip hop, and perhaps beyond that. It will go down in history.

Drake, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, and Dj Khaled just dropped a mothafvckin BOMB of a song. It captured the essence of living the good life and the perfect sound to go with it. Not only is it a life introspective song, it's also a song that gets you pumped up. There's somethin about it that makes you wanna tear sh!t up!

And Drake was genius in the chorus with a commanding harmony followed immediately with a rapid-fire rap.

What's your thoughts on this? Even the critical hip hop heads can't hate on this (I'm one of them).
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:26:03 AM
This ain't a place for hate, just postin somethin that I'm really feelin. Feel free to post some songs that give you the same vibes.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:06:51 AM
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:28:32 AM
I really don't want to be a hater (honesty) but to say that I vehemently disagree with this would be an understatement. Sure, I've had that song on my iPod for awhile and I love listening to it in the car or when I'm getting ready to go out... but to say it's "by far one of the best songs of the year and maybe even this decade in hip hop, and perhaps beyond that" and that it will go down in history is just silly! Drake is far from genius status to boot! He's on his way (maybe) and I think he's a really smart guy, but he's still really limited and hasn't done anything THAT impressive. That song is catchy but there are a sh!t ton of equally catchy songs out there about the exact same thing. What about Chris Brown's "Look At Me Now?" That's a fun and catchy song. If we're going to say one mainstream guy from Young Money is a "genius" then I'm gonna hafta go with Lil Wayne, just because he's the brains of the operation, puts out like a zillion songs, switches up his flow more often, etc. I would never suggest that Wayne has put forth anywhere NEAR the best rap song of the decade, but off the top of my head I think "A Milli" is a better song than this one; I still love the beat :P Also so many artists have used the beat and made their own version of the song.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:29:35 AM
I think you just get overly excited about things, Geo. There are so many good songs out that I love to jam to, but I can't in good conscience give them THAT much props. To me it's kind of obviously undeserved :/ But that doesn't mean you can't love the sh!t out of them for your own amusement.
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 9:32:22 AM
I'm not feelin' it either.

- the rhymes aren't all that catchy
- the subject matter is as shallow as ever
- the beat is OK but nothing to get excited over; same with the chorus
- lil' Wayne did bail them out a bit at the end but certainly not as much as he could have
- what's up with that guy's man-titties being out his whole verse? Was that supposed to be flattering me or something?
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 9:35:02 AM
...although, interestingly enough, despite everything I just said I would be hard-pressed to negate the fact that this could be "The Best Hip Hop Song Out By Far," given a certain time index.
Rob
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:03:21 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:28:32 AM, Danielle wrote:
I really don't want to be a hater (honesty) but to say that I vehemently disagree with this would be an understatement. Sure, I've had that song on my iPod for awhile and I love listening to it in the car or when I'm getting ready to go out... but to say it's "by far one of the best songs of the year and maybe even this decade in hip hop, and perhaps beyond that" and that it will go down in history is just silly!

I can agree that it's probably an overstatement, especially given all the underground classics that have come out this decade, but if were talkin mainstream hip hop, I think it wouldn't be a stretch to say it's the best in the past 5 years.

Drake is far from genius status to boot! He's on his way (maybe) and I think he's a really smart guy, but he's still really limited and hasn't done anything THAT impressive.

What I like about Drake is his diversity and his delivery. To me, he's like a combination of Bone Thugs and Jay-Z because he brings the harmonic singing mixed with rapping, but has the classy style and lyrical content of Jay Z (Reasonable Doubt era). In fact, Drake said in an interview that Bone Thugs and Jay-Z were some of his biggest influences and I think it shows in his music. I'll admit, Drakes lyrics aren't on Jay-Zs level though so don't think I'm saying that, but I'm sure he'll get there. He's barely 24 so he's got a lotta years left. There's no doubt though that Drake has a lot of quotables and is definitely a rapper you can take seriously as opposed to clowns like Jeezy, Yung Joc, Gucci, Waka Flaka, etc.

That song is catchy but there are a sh!t ton of equally catchy songs out there about the exact same thing. What about Chris Brown's "Look At Me Now?" That's a fun and catchy song.

I disagree and I think you misunderstand. It's not a "fun and catchy" song. It's real sh!t. It's more reminiscent of a Golden Era narrative classic like Dead Presidents II (Jay-Z), It Was a Good Day (Ice Cube), Still Dre (Dr Dre/Snoop), 1st of the Month (Bone Thugs), etc.

"Look At Me Now" and "A Milli" are not serious, they're "fun and catchy" as you said. They don't have the same vibe as Dead Presidents II, Nothin But A G Thang, etc.

If we're going to say one mainstream guy from Young Money is a "genius" then I'm gonna hafta go with Lil Wayne, just because he's the brains of the operation, puts out like a zillion songs, switches up his flow more often, etc. I would never suggest that Wayne has put forth anywhere NEAR the best rap song of the decade, but off the top of my head I think "A Milli" is a better song than this one;

I'm sorry but A Milli is nowhere near this. In fact, my ears cant even bare to listen to it. This track cannot be taken seriously. Sure it has some clever lines and some impressive rapping, but with a repetitive distorted voice repeating "A milli" over and over, it cannot and never will be a classic nor a classy track. It will make you say, "oh that's cool" or "oh that line was tight," but you won't see anyone say that it's a powerful track or somethin they can connect with.

I'd say one of Waynes best tracks as of this decade is "Go DJ." You can take that track seriously and it's overall a good song.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:41:41 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:06:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

The first time I heard this song was this summer when for two weeks...

I was on a boat.. MthrFckers!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:46:33 PM
At 8/23/2011 9:32:22 AM, Lasagna wrote:

That's not really the aim but I think the rhymes are definitely entertaining to listen to.

I disagree. They chose to rap about a certain topic and did it well. They don't have to rhyme about quantum coupling mechanisms like Canibus to have good content (Canibus literally used "quantum coupling mechanisms" in a song before). Trust me, I've been listening to lyrical geniuses for years like Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Canibus, Black Star, etc. They have plenty of complex rhymes and esoteric subject matter and big vocabularies.

But that's not the style of this song. Given that beat, it wouldn't sound right to be rapping about "biophysical biosphere, unlock the cobra spitting venom I adhere, I stand here with the hearts of the meek, I bring pain, camel clucth iron sheik." (JMT)

They're rapping about life, living it up, fulfilling the young years and getting wiser in the later years, fvck the bvllshit and do what you gotta do, and all that.

Thats not shallow. That's bein' real. It's not like they're saying "look how many b!tches I got, look at the diamonds in my grill" etc. They're talkin about actual relationships and actually succeeded in obtaining wealth.

- the beat is OK but nothing to get excited over;

The beat is perfect for what it is. It's a classy and cool sounding beat.

same with the chorus

The chorus is rather unique and was done right. The melody is definitely one that hooks you and the quick rapping that follows compliments it perfectly. Like it or not, you have to admit the chorus is creative.

- lil' Wayne did bail them out a bit at the end but certainly not as much as he could have

Yea, Lil Wayne definitely had the most clever rhymes at the end, but then again the song wasn't meant to be a punchline marathon.

- what's up with that guy's man-titties being out his whole verse? Was that supposed to be flattering me or something?

Lmao! It's Rick Ross man, haha.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:00:10 PM
I'm awesome.. Don't hate me.. Drugs.. shootin people.. gettin out of the hood.. shoootin people.. don't hate me.. Ho's... drugs.. I'm awesome..

which one was that again?

oh yeah, it doesn't matter, because I'm on a motherFckin Boat!

Metaphysics:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:05:39 PM
At 8/23/2011 3:00:10 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I'm awesome.. Don't hate me.. Drugs.. shootin people.. gettin out of the hood.. shoootin people.. don't hate me.. Ho's... drugs.. I'm awesome..

which one was that again?

oh yeah, it doesn't matter, because I'm on a motherFckin Boat!

Fix'd
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:08:47 PM
At 8/23/2011 3:03:21 PM, inferno wrote:
Drake sucks bigtime.

Baseless assertion and false opinion.

You can tell someone who does not have good taste in rap music. You are a mainstream junkie.

That is false. I know more about underground rap than you. I've been to serveral underground shows and I've even met Vinnie Paz, Talib Kweli, and I even had Caninus himself personally thank me for a mix I did for him. (Go to Youtube and type "Caninus Thank You").
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:19:34 PM
Edit: *Canibus
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:24:52 PM
At 8/23/2011 3:08:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/23/2011 3:03:21 PM, inferno wrote:
Drake sucks bigtime.

You can tell someone who does not have good taste in rap music. You are a mainstream junkie.

That is false. I know more about underground rap than you. I've been to serveral underground shows and I've even met Vinnie Paz, Talib Kweli, and I even had Caninus himself personally thank me for a mix I did for him. (Go to Youtube and type "Caninus Thank You").

Not baseless. But you do know about Immortal Technique, Mannie, KRS One, and Master Disciples. Oh yes, I know about the underground. And Canibus is the king of it all.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:41:52 PM
At 8/23/2011 2:46:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/23/2011 9:32:22 AM, Lasagna wrote:

That's not really the aim but I think the rhymes are definitely entertaining to listen to.

I've certainly heard smoother flows. They aren't terrible...

I disagree. They chose to rap about a certain topic and did it well. They don't have to rhyme about quantum coupling mechanisms like Canibus to have good content (Canibus literally used "quantum coupling mechanisms" in a song before). Trust me, I've been listening to lyrical geniuses for years like Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Canibus, Black Star, etc. They have plenty of complex rhymes and esoteric subject matter and big vocabularies.

But that's not the style of this song. Given that beat, it wouldn't sound right to be rapping about "biophysical biosphere, unlock the cobra spitting venom I adhere, I stand here with the hearts of the meek, I bring pain, camel clucth iron sheik." (JMT)

They're rapping about life, living it up, fulfilling the young years and getting wiser in the later years, fvck the bvllshit and do what you gotta do, and all that.

Thats not shallow. That's bein' real. It's not like they're saying "look how many b!tches I got, look at the diamonds in my grill" etc. They're talkin about actual relationships and actually succeeded in obtaining wealth.

They don't have to be intellectual to get interesting. It's the same ol' same ol' with the cars, women, drugs... Listen to an Eminem song and you'll see what I mean about creativity. Eminem rarely, if ever, despite countless hit tracks had to use cars, women, bling, or cash to sell himself. Wu-Tang, similarly. Songs like this are extremely one-dimensional; do I even have to listen to the track to get the point of what they are trying to say?

- the beat is OK but nothing to get excited over;

The beat is perfect for what it is. It's a classy and cool sounding beat.

I've heard better :)

same with the chorus

The chorus is rather unique and was done right. The melody is definitely one that hooks you and the quick rapping that follows compliments it perfectly. Like it or not, you have to admit the chorus is creative.

Yea, Lil Wayne definitely had the most clever rhymes at the end, but then again the song wasn't meant to be a punchline marathon.

Lmao! It's Rick Ross man, haha.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:43:29 PM
At 8/23/2011 3:08:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
LOL false opinion? WTF?

Chocolate ice cream tastes great!

No it doesn't!

False opinion.

o_O?
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:45:58 PM
At 8/23/2011 3:24:52 PM, inferno wrote:
And Canibus is the king of it all.

Canibus was showing some promise until he took LL Cool J for a punk and got humiliated out of rap. I especially liked how Canibus worked with Lost Boyz in his early days, and at that time it looked like he was going places.
Rob
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:56:15 PM
At 8/23/2011 4:45:58 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 8/23/2011 3:24:52 PM, inferno wrote:
And Canibus is the king of it all.

Canibus was showing some promise until he took LL Cool J for a punk and got humiliated out of rap. I especially liked how Canibus worked with Lost Boyz in his early days, and at that time it looked like he was going places.

Are you out of your mind?! Canibus is 100 times better these past 6 years than when he first started his career. That's why he didn't do that great against LL. If it was the 2004-20011 Canibus, he woulda tore up LL. I'm assuming you haven't heard any of Canibus' recent stuff cause you wouldn't be saying he fell off after Lost Boys.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 6:53:31 PM
At 8/23/2011 4:41:52 PM, Lasagna wrote:
They don't have to be intellectual to get interesting. It's the same ol' same ol' with the cars, women, drugs...

Wrong. I have doubts that you even listened to the lyrics, yet here you are judging the lyrics. There is no mention of cars, women, or bling. There is a few references to drugs given that "I'm On One" is both being under the influence and means "I'm on a roll" but I see no problem with that, I particularly like the drug references. The only mention of a woman is when Rick Ross says "Ever made love to the woman of your dreams" which is actually a rather rare take on a woman in hip hop which usually demeans women and talks about how many bitches you got. Here, Rick Ross is being respectful focusing on one dream woman and putting her on a pedestal rather than "a bunch of bitches."

Listen to an Eminem song and you'll see what I mean about creativity. Eminem rarely, if ever, despite countless hit tracks had to use cars, women, bling, or cash to sell himself. Wu-Tang, similarly. Songs like this are extremely one-dimensional;

Again, this song has better lyrics than you think. You probably just payed attention to the car and the women in the video and figured that's what it was about, but no. They weren't even in the lyrics. That was just part of the video.

do I even have to listen to the track to get the point of what they are trying to say?

Umm, yes? Com'on. You've already revealed you didn't listen to the lyrics.

Here, this link will assist yo with the lyrics and also gives you a bar for bar analysis of each line and what it means. There's more to the song than you think.

http://rapgenius.com...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 10:18:19 PM
I don't see that song progressing hip-hop or even trying to do anything new. Cypress Hill were innovators and I am yet to see anyone come out with a song better than this one.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 2:28:52 PM
I don't care enough about this to have an elaborate discussion. You're incredibly naive if you think this song counts as a serious "narrative" or anything of the sort. See Eminem for that. This is a catchy song, no more catchy than Chris Brown's "Look at Me Now" (although I do like the song like I said, but you are hyping it up RIDICULOUSLY). There is nothing deep whatsoever about the lyrics; he's talking about the same exact thing as almost every other rapper and even a bunch of his other songs (wasn't there one where he calls some girl drunk or something? And in this one he keeps repeating that he's on one. Whoa... he likes to drink... that's completely mind blowing).

I don't need to do anything but let the lyrics speak for themselves: "Two white cups and I got that drink - Could be purple, it could be pink - Depending on how you mix that sh!t - Money that we got, never get that sh!t." I mean come on now. Choose any of the other lyrics from the song and it won't be any more impressive. Also, comparing Drake to Jay Z is probably not your best bet at trying to convince me of your POV, considering I think he completely sucks and is one of THE most overrated rappers of all time (even if the little MTV surveys say otherwise). This is a matter of preference anyway, but your "arguments" aren't compelling. Lil Wayne's voice can be annoying but at least it's different. Drake's voice is monotonous.
President of DDO
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 2:38:15 PM
Jay-Z completely sucks? Even from Reasonable Doubt? Even the oldest of old school Jay-Z with that totally different flow he used to have?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 10:37:25 AM
At 8/27/2011 2:38:15 PM, LeafRod wrote:
Jay-Z completely sucks? Even from Reasonable Doubt? Even the oldest of old school Jay-Z with that totally different flow he used to have?

Alright, fair enough. I'd say Reasonable Doubt and the Hard Knock Life albums are okay. However even though those are good, I've seen some people (I think MTV if I remember correctly) put him as the BEST rapper of all time... and that's just bologna.

Do you remember the song "Moment of Clarity" off the The Black Album? Jay claimed in the song that he dumbs down his lyrics for the audience which allegedly helps him be more successful. I liked Talib Kweli's response in the song Ghetto Show.

The point is that even though I like the song Geo posted a lot, it is nowhere near some deep, meaningful song that deserves the title of the best hip-hop song even out at the current moment let alone the decade. I enjoy it and listen to it a lot (it gets stuck in my head) but it's average, and Drake is really good but not a genius by any means.
President of DDO
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 10:52:42 AM
At 8/27/2011 2:37:09 PM, LeafRod wrote:
I can't stand Canibus.

I'm not a big fan of him either. i mean, his raps are articulate and everything but i can't get into him & enjoy it- i think its the tone of his voice.

about op, the song is catchy but the best thing about it is the beat. I think "forever" was a better song.

if any of you would like to vote on my rap debate, see comments. it needs votes!
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 1:12:29 PM
Canibus has a wide vocabulary. That's all that he has going for him. I don't like his flow or his voice (or, more specifically, I think they're both terrible) and there's nothing appealing about his songs. And from the songs I've heard, I think he doesn't even put his vocabulary to good use. It's not like he raps about anything interesting. Even worse, he doesn't seem to rhyme that well with his vocabulary. The internal rhyming isn't that strong and a lot of times he'll have two lines that rhyme, because they both say crazy stuff in the middle and then end with really basic and boring words.