Jump to topic:

Part of the crowd, a loner, or something else

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 7:20:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The original thread was correctly pointed out as being based on a false dichotomy. In that case, I would like to ask members if they consider themselves a part of the crowd, a loner, both, and so on, as a way to rectify the false dichotomy.

Do you consider yourself to be part of a crowd? Are you prone to conform to established beliefs, trends of customs, and so on? Do you love to engage in social interaction and participate in events such as parties, frat parties in the dorm, and so on?

Or are you a loner, who is often unorthodox or simply willing (at times) to seclude yourselves?

Or are you both, at certain times and circumstances, or even neither?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 7:23:47 PM
Also note that the original thread was also derailed in a way that precludes any sense of hope of redirecting it to its original course (partly by myself, hehehehe).

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 7:23:59 PM
At 8/23/2011 7:20:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
The original thread was correctly pointed out as being based on a false dichotomy. In that case, I would like to ask members if they consider themselves a part of the crowd, a loner, both, and so on, as a way to rectify the false dichotomy.

Do you consider yourself to be part of a crowd? Are you prone to conform to established beliefs, trends of customs, and so on? Do you love to engage in social interaction and participate in events such as parties, frat parties in the dorm, and so on?

Or are you a loner, who is often unorthodox or simply willing (at times) to seclude yourselves?

Or are you both, at certain times and circumstances, or even neither?

I'm mostly a solitary person outside of school (and inside), but I do stand in high regard with a number of people. So both.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 7:27:40 PM
At 8/23/2011 7:23:59 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I'm mostly a solitary person outside of school (and inside), but I do stand in high regard with a number of people. So both.

I suspect that most people would consider themselves both, but I'm willing to see if anyone would post something far from my expectations (in that they consider themselves to be neither or at least of one party).

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 7:46:40 PM
I've been part of many crowds growing up. I grew up in the most Italian-rich spot in the United States, Johnston, RI (home of the infamous DJ Pauly D), and all that matters to those people is gym, tanning, and laundry. There aren't really diverse crowds there as everyone is pretty mono-cultural. Because I was unable to conform to GTL as a way of life, I moved far, far away to Green Bay where I was able to fit in much better.

In Green Bay I've been part of many crowds, which has been a breath of fresh air and has really allowed me to explore my social skills. I've been part of groups including grease-monkeys, gang-bangers (they were Native-American), jocks, goths, hippies, wiggers, queers, bar brawlers, geeks, Christians and gamers. In each case, I completely conformed to the crowd I was running with (no I didn't turn gay just to hang around the queers :). If I didn't conform, there would have been very little for me to do with these people. If I was hanging around with grease-monkeys, I would talk to them about cars and engines and all that stuff, for example. If I was gang-banging, then I would throw up my gang-signs and hang out in dirty motel rooms putting back liquor and running cards all night long. With the jocks I would play basketball and with the gamers I would sit around playing Magic the Gathering. Hitting the bong with the hippies was also fun, and bar-hopping and fighting with the macho crowd all coked-up and wild definitely has left me with some good memories.

I consider my conforming qualities as an advantage; it has allowed me to experience many different forms of life.
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:00:13 AM
I use to be an outsider. Now I am more of the in crowd guy. However, I only speak to others when I am spoken to. I feel comfortable in my own skin and my ideology. I have this strong conviction that compels me to interact with others and share my knowledge with them. I am very aware of my surroundings and this is
what keeps me in touch with reality. The fact I am involced with many, that does not make me superficial
by any means of the word. I am just me.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 11:19:57 AM
I am neither a loner nor a part of the crowd, it's situations that define who I am. But, if you'd like to put in a bx, I would be someone who is with a crowd not anchoring her down.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 11:55:56 AM
I'm definitely not a loner - I think that would make me miserable. Being part of the crowd (or a crowd) doesn't mean you have to blend in or be a follower though.
President of DDO
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:05:56 PM
At 8/24/2011 11:55:56 AM, Danielle wrote:
I'm definitely not a loner - I think that would make me miserable. Being part of the crowd (or a crowd) doesn't mean you have to blend in or be a follower though.

Yeah, that is true...being part of a crowd probably does not mean harnessing an attitude of conformity, though that's what I've always associated with 'being with the crowd'.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:12:21 PM
I can do it, but i don't like it. My natural tendency is to be with a very small number of people, if not alone. Oddly enough, i do end up being a leader in groups, and i never vie for it. In sales meetings when we break out in groups and have group leaders, automatically people just look to me to head up the group. I think because i have low tolerance for irrelevant detail, and zero in on the goal. I detest small talk, and can be "on" when i need to be, and am good at it, but i hate it, and it exhausts me.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:21:43 PM
This question is different than Infernos because this one brings up "loner" instead of "outsider." I was able to claim to be both, but now that it changed to loner, I'm far from a "loner." Im with people constantly around the clock whether it be family, colleagues, friends, and strangers I see in night outs.

Also, the way OP described being in the crowd is off base because you he grouped people who are social and party with those who also conform. The two don't go hand in hand. As everyone knows, my views are far from mainstream, yet I'm still social and a partier.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:46:58 PM
At 8/23/2011 7:46:40 PM, Lasagna wrote:

I've been part of groups including grease-monkeys, gang-bangers (they were Native-American), jocks, goths, hippies, wiggers, queers, bar brawlers, geeks, Christians and gamers. In each case, I completely conformed to the crowd I was running with (no I didn't turn gay just to hang around the queers :).

Sounds very interesting but could someone please enlighten as to the meanings of some of those terms?

Grease-monkeys - mechanics?
Gang-bangers - people who partake in orgies?
Jocks - people from Scotland?
Goths - fans of Indie music, related to emos?
Hippies - peace-loving, sandal-wearing, lentil-eating throwbacks to the 1960's?
Wiggers - people with false hair?
Queers - pansy-potters, uphill-gardeners, rentboys, arse-bandits?
Bar brawlers - yobs, thugs, neds, chavs?
Geeks - accountants and IT guys who are heavily into sci-fi and don't have girlfriends?
Gamers - punters, prostitutes' tricks?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:54:36 PM
At 8/24/2011 12:46:58 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I've been part of groups including grease-monkeys, gang-bangers (they were Native-American), jocks, goths, hippies, wiggers, queers, bar brawlers, geeks, Christians and gamers. In each case, I completely conformed to the crowd I was running with (no I didn't turn gay just to hang around the queers :).

Sounds very interesting but could someone please enlighten as to the meanings of some of those terms?

Geeks - accountants and IT guys who are heavily into sci-fi and don't have girlfriends?

4 out of 10 due to language barrier.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 1:00:23 PM

Correct

I've always thought it ment local gang members, usually just thugs, rather than members of large, powerful gangs. But I could be wrong.

Atheletes.

Close enough

Yep

Honestly, no idea. I thought that "wigging out" meant "freaking out."

Yep

Yeah, people that just like to fight.

Hey now, I'm an accountant... but yes.

I think this refers to video game players.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:57:26 PM
At 8/23/2011 7:20:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Or are you both, at certain times and circumstances, or even neither?:

By nature I'm very reclusive, but I do exceptionally well in social situations. I don't follow what other people follow for their sake, I follow what seems sensible.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:45:10 PM

Mechanics...
Hmmm...according to the online dictionary sources, they mean 'part of a gang' or usually the aggressor of the gang. But then again, it could also mean someone who participates in a gang bang ("A session of sex involving multiple men and a single female. Sometimes used in the context of rape.")[1]
No...athletes. "someone who is good at sports. Usually implies that they're not good at academics." [1]
Close, but no dice: "person who wears all-black clothing with lots of silver chains. Generally goths are classed as "out casts" from "normal" society. A Pentagram may be worn round the neck on a silver chain." [1]
Yes.
No. "a Caucasian who acts, dresses and emulates like a black person from the ghetto." [1]
"Homosexuals" [1]
I guess so.
Nope..."nerd" or "a person who is intensely interested in a subject or thing" (as a noun) [1]
"habitual player of computer games: somebody who regularly plays computer or video games or role-play games" [2]

[1] http://onlineslangdictionary.com...
[2] http://www.bing.com...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:47:58 PM
At 8/24/2011 6:45:10 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Mechanics...
Hmmm...according to the online dictionary sources, they mean 'part of a gang' or usually the aggressor of the gang. But then again, it could also mean someone who participates in a gang bang ("A session of sex involving multiple men and a single female. Sometimes used in the context of rape.")[1]
No...athletes. "someone who is good at sports. Usually implies that they're not good at academics." [1]
Close, but no dice: "person who wears all-black clothing with lots of silver chains. Generally goths are classed as "out casts" from "normal" society. A Pentagram may be worn round the neck on a silver chain." [1]
Yes.
No. "a Caucasian who acts, dresses and emulates like a black person from the ghetto." [1]
"Homosexuals" [1]
I guess so.
Nope..."nerd" or "a person who is intensely interested in a subject or thing" (as a noun) [1]
"habitual player of computer games: somebody who regularly plays computer or video games or role-play games" [2]

[1] http://onlineslangdictionary.com...
[2] http://www.bing.com...

Four of ten correct. But then again, I would have scored even worse if I was ever presented with a list of British slang words as well, so we're even on different terms.

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 8:40:59 AM
At 8/24/2011 12:21:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
This question is different than Infernos because this one brings up "loner" instead of "outsider." I was able to claim to be both, but now that it changed to loner, I'm far from a "loner." Im with people constantly around the clock whether it be family, colleagues, friends, and strangers I see in night outs.

Also, the way OP described being in the crowd is off base because you he grouped people who are social and party with those who also conform. The two don't go hand in hand. As everyone knows, my views are far from mainstream, yet I'm still social and a partier.

You can be a moderately outsider and still interact with people. I consider an
outsider to be someone who does not submerge themselves into the mainstream pop culture. A loner is someone more distant to me.