Jump to topic:

How to Convince people

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 12:39:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Exactly how do you do this? I don't feel much satisfaction in arguing back and forth with someone if it doesn't lead to any change of view. People, as I have learned, are not convinced by blatant, irrefutable, self-evident and compelling facts.

What can you say to make people see the error of their ways? or is one's ability to be convinced dependent on his humility? since most people still want to be right, even when proven wrong. Thoughts?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 12:44:21 AM
At 8/25/2011 12:39:24 AM, 000ike wrote:
Exactly how do you do this? I don't feel much satisfaction in arguing back and forth with someone if it doesn't lead to any change of view. People, as I have learned, are not convinced by blatant, irrefutable, self-evident and compelling facts.

What can you say to make people see the error of their ways? or is one's ability to be convinced dependent on his humility? since most people still want to be right, even when proven wrong. Thoughts?

It is easy. Just tell them what they want to hear.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 4:13:50 AM
At 8/25/2011 12:39:24 AM, 000ike wrote:

Try to close early. The one who closes the topic early by a phrase like, 'it doesn't really matter, though', or like, ' Not that anything would be gained by it', or something always forces the other one to think.

It always works with me.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 4:30:49 AM
Good lord, I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. Debating with logic, reason and evidence rarely convinces anyone to change their mind. If you're actually trying to change someone's mind about something, destroying them in an argument is NOT the way to go about it. It damages their ego and puts them on the defensive.