Jump to topic:

Gay and pretty, Genetic?

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:48:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Seems like most gay people I meet are really above average in looks, men and women.
So if you are really good looking, are you genetically more likely to be gay?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:50:09 PM
At 8/29/2011 4:48:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Seems like most gay people I meet are really above average in looks, men and women.

So, since I'm bi, does that mean I only got hit half as hard with the Ugly Stick? Lol. Anyway, I know several gay men/women who honestly aren't that attractive.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:54:53 PM
Rosie O'Donnell offsets any "hotness" gains made by any number of attractive gay people.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:57:34 PM
At 8/29/2011 4:54:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Rosie O'Donnell offsets any "hotness" gains made by any number of attractive gay people.

Oh you sooo went there...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 5:04:35 PM

I find this is true of gay men and not so much of gay women. Although I am being completely prejudice, I think it's fair to say that he majority of gay men as a demographic can be VERY shallow when it comes to physical appearances. It may be biological because men are visual/horny creatures, and gay men want to have a lot of sex and look good doing it - or it could be a social aspect considering there is a ton of pressure in the gay community to look really good (have fit bodies, dress well and take care of your appearance), and if you don't you're kind of ostracized or condemned... or at least won't get laid.

It's definitely nowhere near as imperative in the lesbian community to look your best. Not only are many lesbians tomboyish, but some are dykey and don't want to work hard on their appearance. A lot of gay guys I know are very fit whereas a lot of lesbians are fat :( Of course this is just a generalization as there are tons of skinny lesbians and tons of fat gay men. However on average I don't think lesbians emphasize appearance as much. I do know some pretty lesbians for sure, but on balance many (maybe most) I know are not attractive.
President of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 5:06:54 PM
At 8/29/2011 5:04:35 PM, Danielle wrote:

I find this is true of gay men and not so much of gay women. Although I am being completely prejudice, I think it's fair to say that he majority of gay men as a demographic can be VERY shallow when it comes to physical appearances. It may be biological because men are visual/horny creatures, and gay men want to have a lot of sex and look good doing it - or it could be a social aspect considering there is a ton of pressure in the gay community to look really good (have fit bodies, dress well and take care of your appearance), and if you don't you're kind of ostracized or condemned... or at least won't get laid.

It's definitely nowhere near as imperative in the lesbian community to look your best. Not only are many lesbians tomboyish, but some are dykey and don't want to work hard on their appearance. A lot of gay guys I know are very fit whereas a lot of lesbians are fat :( Of course this is just a generalization as there are tons of skinny lesbians and tons of fat gay men. However on average I don't think lesbians emphasize appearance as much. I do know some pretty lesbians for sure, but on balance many (maybe most) I know are not attractive.

Thanks for your thoughts Danielle!
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 5:18:15 PM
I agree with Danielle. Most lesbians I know i only know through my jugaloo sister so I might also be prejudiced. But gay guys, whether at school or outside of school are definitely generally more attractive than the general population of heterosexual guys.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 6:23:20 PM
Obviously twinks are going to pay plenty of attention to their appearance but there are plenty of gay men who are not twinks who probably look pretty normal. IMO twinks obviously tend to look "better" in some sense of the word that normal men, but there are the countless men who don't immediately advertise their sexuality who look perfectly normal. Perhaps the flamboyant ones are a little over represented.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 6:40:01 PM
Gay women are always chopping their hair and nails and letting themselves go while gay gays will apply foundation, do their eyebrows, etc. So being gay for a guy means being more sensitive about your looks while it's pretty much the opposite for girls.
Rob
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 7:26:43 PM
So if you are really good looking, are you genetically more likely to be gay?:

I don't find that to be the case at all.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)