Jump to topic:

Would you put up with it for $1,000?

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 9:56:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So I'm planning my winter vacation again in Central America, and i found some bargain flights, they're about $200.00 round trip, one stop in Florida (actually a shorter trip than the usual stop in Houston). For the two of us this is much less expensive than the usual flight we have taken which is now a minimum of $700.00. We're talking a thousand dollar difference. The only problem is the airline is Spirit, and there are horror stories about this airline. Reading reviews on the airline only confirms the things i have heard about it. My thought is, we're talking about 7 hours of my life, and i have gone through pretty terrible 7 hours before. Is it worth a thousand dollars to put up with a miserable couple of flights?

I'm okay with putting up with it, but Carlos is not. The extra $1,000 could be better used on the actual vacation rather than the vehicle of getting us there.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 9:59:34 AM
I certainly wouldn't pay an extra grand for a nicer flight..

but it doesn't sound like fun.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 10:00:20 AM
At 9/5/2011 9:56:36 AM, innomen wrote:
So I'm planning my winter vacation again in Central America, and i found some bargain flights, they're about $200.00 round trip, one stop in Florida (actually a shorter trip than the usual stop in Houston). For the two of us this is much less expensive than the usual flight we have taken which is now a minimum of $700.00. We're talking a thousand dollar difference. The only problem is the airline is Spirit, and there are horror stories about this airline. Reading reviews on the airline only confirms the things i have heard about it. My thought is, we're talking about 7 hours of my life, and i have gone through pretty terrible 7 hours before. Is it worth a thousand dollars to put up with a miserable couple of flights?

I'm okay with putting up with it, but Carlos is not. The extra $1,000 could be better used on the actual vacation rather than the vehicle of getting us there.

Vacations and trips are all about building lasting memories for when you are in your rocking chair, stroking your grey beard.

7 hours is not a way to get dem happy memories a flowin!, unless you want to take a massive dose of sleeping pills to knock you out for 7 hours :D
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 10:02:23 AM
At 9/5/2011 9:59:34 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I certainly wouldn't pay an extra grand for a nicer flight..

but it doesn't sound like fun.

It's not like going up to first class or anything, it would be a standard coach flight via Continental.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 10:10:14 AM
I dunno...getting there is half the adventure, and I'd personally foot the 1000 to be more comfortable--if it's an unpleasant experience GETTING there, then think of the disposition you may be in for the whole vacation.

Also, is Carlos your boyfriend? Because, if so (or even if not), then I wouldn't want to make it terribly uncomfortable for my significant other, or, for that matter, whoever I'm traveling with--that way NO ONE is happy.

But that's just my two cents...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 10:10:34 AM
What is their record like for getting the job done? If you get there and back okay then I'd consider a lack of luxury a worthy price to pay!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 10:22:43 AM
Dude, $1000.

Do you have any idea how much fun you can have on your vacation with that much extra money?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 10:33:27 AM
At 9/5/2011 9:56:36 AM, innomen wrote:

you could buy enough drink and sleeping tablets with about a tenth of that that you wouldn't notice any difference...
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 10:35:09 AM
At 9/5/2011 10:08:26 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
If it were me, I would take the cheap flight and knock myself out.

I see I've been beat to it...
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 11:41:04 AM
The $1000.00 is more than a week's stay on the island. The airline has a terrible reputation for delays and treating people like cattle, but most other alternatives are how much better really? Delta, American, Continental - coach, are all pretty miserable these days.

I think the bulk of the objection is from Carlos (yes my partner), who will be complaining to no end. Now slipping him a pill or two might make sense, he's done that before with some other dodgey flights we've had to take.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 11:48:55 AM
Whenever going to Europe or farther my family always shells out for business class. Obviously you'd still be flying econ but I'd say don't underestimate the importance of getting to your destination nicely, especially if you've got a flight that long.

What's the other airline you'd fly? There's still a chance of getting jerked around by them too but if you think it's less likely I'd recommend it. There's nothing more annoying than getting totally unreasonable airline people to deal with. I've been straight kicked off flights for no reason when I had to go to a big family event and then gotten put up in a garbage hotel, or not let on to a flight because the check in person refused to give us our tickets for the second leg of the journey, which led to almost missing an extremely, extremely event the next day.

If your plans are more lax though and you've only got one plane to fly (so basically nothing that important/time sensitive to catch after your flight) then you might want to consider it. Two grown up dudes might be able to handle it better than a family of four.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 11:50:58 AM
Give Carlos enough pills to knock out a Rhino at the airport right before you board the Spirit plane or right before he figures out you lied to him about not going on Spirit airlines.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 12:20:05 PM
At 9/5/2011 11:50:58 AM, quarterexchange wrote:
Give Carlos enough pills to knock out a Rhino at the airport right before you board the Spirit plane or right before he figures out you lied to him about not going on Spirit airlines.

Oh yeah, that would make for a great vacation, no to mention life, lie to him, slip him drugs and cart him away on a dodgey airline.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 12:21:46 PM
At 9/5/2011 12:20:05 PM, innomen wrote:

Oh yeah, that would make for a great vacation, no to mention life, lie to him, slip him drugs and cart him away on a dodgey airline.

I thought that was normal behaviour for you lot?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 12:26:14 PM

If you give him enough he won't remember a thing. You can tell him that you flew business class on Delta Airlines, with the lay-back seats. Tell him that he was having a blast and that you don't know why he's having a sudden case of amnesia.

Whatever it takes to save a grand.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 12:29:06 PM
At 9/5/2011 12:21:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

By which I mean sovietologists...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 12:32:43 PM
At 9/5/2011 12:29:06 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/5/2011 12:21:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

By which I mean sovietologists...

Oh, and here i was thinking you were talking about Catholics.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 1:34:26 PM
I know nothing about that airline, but if I were you I would take the bargain simply because everything else while travelling can be so pricy.
Sketchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 3:56:46 PM
I've been on Spirit about 15 times (each time about 3 hours), and it isn't THAT bad. I mean, there are a few crying babies here and there and a delay every once in a while, but I would just use the money for the vacation.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:21:43 PM
Delays: Take a book.

Cattle: Wat? How so?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 11:00:55 PM
I say buy yourselves nice Nintendo DSs or 3DSs (plus earphones) with the extra money, and no matter how much the trip is delayed, you'll come out happier in the end.