Jump to topic:

Thoughts on Atlas Shrugged?

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 5:44:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am going to read Atlas Shrugged soon and would like to know everyone's thoughts on it. It seems like an interesting book with a message that I would like to see. In addition, a lot of people here seem to like it.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 5:49:31 PM
I read The Fountainhead, and it was decent but it could have used some editing. AFAIK, her fiction novels are basically a reiteration of her philosophy of objectivism and since Atlas Shrugged is much longer than The Fountainhead it's not too high on my reading list.

Give it a go though, see if it's your thing. If it is, we can argue it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 7:10:14 PM
At 9/6/2011 5:49:31 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I read The Fountainhead, and it was decent but it could have used some editing. AFAIK, her fiction novels are basically a reiteration of her philosophy of objectivism
She wrote her fiction before she wrote her nonfiction. It's more precise to say that her nonfiction philosophy was a reiteration of the philosophy in her fiction for people who don't think they'll like the story or want a more succinct reference. :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:11:59 PM
At 9/6/2011 5:44:26 PM, seraine wrote:
I am going to read Atlas Shrugged soon and would like to know everyone's thoughts on it. It seems like an interesting book with a message that I would like to see. In addition, a lot of people here seem to like it.

It's a good read.

But I'd recommend you skip a speech one character makes. It goes on and on, and I frankly was not able to finish reading the entire speech.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:19:16 PM
At 9/7/2011 1:11:59 PM, Indophile wrote:

It's a good read.

But I'd recommend you skip a speech one character makes. It goes on and on, and I frankly was not able to finish reading the entire speech.

I skip most of it myself. 50 page speech, read 5 pages of it and then skip the other 45 unless you don't at all get what's being said, it gets pretty repetitive.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 2:46:03 PM

Never read it. Fountainhead was good by her though and it pretty much filled any need for me to read any more Ayn Rand fiction.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 4:32:55 PM
I remember reading a little of 'Atlas Shrugged' until finally deciding to abandon it...Sorry, but I am not too interested in philosophical novels like Atlas Shrugged.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DaveElectric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:09:48 AM
I recommend The Fountainhead not as a book on objectivism but for the unintended nihilism in it.

I think Atlas Shrugged is a terrible novel and I say this even as a die hard die hard capitalist. It is simple naive propaganda. It makes the protagonists too perfect and the antagonists too unlikeable. The best part of the book is not the story but the ideological assertions of John Galt toward the end of it which I only agree with it 50% of the time.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 9:03:18 PM
I read until about page 500 and then decided that it was not worth the effort. It didn't have a great story and I wasn't about to spend a couple weeks to get a theme when I could get it off Wikipedia. Too mediocre to be worth reading all the way through.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 3:03:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

Bossy seems to like it a lot.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:32:00 PM

Hmm...go ahead and read it. It can't hurt. But all you will get from it is a taste of Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism. Which you can glean from one of any number of articles on the Internet. And in a lot less time.

Although the book is voluminous--600 pages if I recall. it is a pretty easy read. Rand's writing style is lean and minimalist, in the tradition of Hemingway.

But...like Hemingway--whom I was never a big fan of and always thought was vastly overrated--she does not do too great a job on character development. I always found her characters to be stilted and wooden. But perhaps that's just me.

I always thought her "The Fountainhead" was a much more entertaining book than Atlas.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:35:25 PM
At 6/24/2015 3:03:41 PM, Wylted wrote:

Like it? It's the freaking equivalent of a Bible to him.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:37:46 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:35:25 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/24/2015 3:03:41 PM, Wylted wrote:

Like it? It's the freaking equivalent of a Bible to him.

It was pretty good.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:06:05 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:32:00 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hmm...go ahead and read it. It can't hurt. But all you will get from it is a taste of Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism. Which you can glean from one of any number of articles on the Internet. And in a lot less time.

Although the book is voluminous--600 pages if I recall. it is a pretty easy read. Rand's writing style is lean and minimalist, in the tradition of Hemingway.

But...like Hemingway--whom I was never a big fan of and always thought was vastly overrated--she does not do too great a job on character development. I always found her characters to be stilted and wooden. But perhaps that's just me.

I always thought her "The Fountainhead" was a much more entertaining book than Atlas.

I think her characters are that way, because she presents them as Gods. Most people write about humans, but she creates fictional heroes in her head and writes of them. A very odd style, but I enjoyed the book.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:17:35 PM
At 6/29/2015 7:06:05 PM, Wylted wrote:

I think her characters are that way, because she presents them as Gods. Most people write about humans, but she creates fictional heroes in her head and writes of them. A very odd style, but I enjoyed the book.

As did I when I read it...about 10 years ago. I was not familiar with her Objectivism yet, and I must admit I agree with a good deal of it. IT seems especially relevant in today's society, with my country's absurd Entitlement Philosophy. All these lazy welfare and SSDI slobs, wanting monthly government checks.

And that last line in her book, about "Wyatt's Torch" was a haunting one.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:33:01 PM
At 6/29/2015 8:17:35 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

As did I when I read it...about 10 years ago. I was not familiar with her Objectivism yet, and I must admit I agree with a good deal of it. IT seems especially relevant in today's society, with my country's absurd Entitlement Philosophy. All these lazy welfare and SSDI slobs, wanting monthly government checks.

That isn't the last line... The book is about 1200 pages and Wyatt's Torch wasn't mentioned much after the first half. This is the actual last line:

"He raised his hand and over the desolate earth he traced in space the sign of the dollar."

The characters were intentionally godlike - they represent the ideals open to all.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:33:50 PM
Any Rand is possessed by SATAN
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:43:32 PM
At 6/30/2015 3:33:01 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

That isn't the last line... The book is about 1200 pages and Wyatt's Torch wasn't mentioned much after the first half. This is the actual last line:

"He raised his hand and over the desolate earth he traced in space the sign of the dollar."

The characters were intentionally godlike - they represent the ideals open to all.

Thanks.

I must have been thinking of this passage...........

Wyatt rigged his oil fields with high explosives and set them off all at once. The resulting fire, thereafter known as "Wyatt's Torch," would prove impossible to extinguish. Shortly before he walked away from his property for the last time, he erected a sign near its front gate:
"I am leaving it as I found it. Take over. It's yours
."
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:44:23 PM
At 6/30/2015 3:33:50 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Any Rand is possessed by SATAN

Don't be silly. Ayn Rand was a god.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 4:29:30 PM
At 6/30/2015 3:43:32 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:33:01 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

Thanks.

I must have been thinking of this passage...........

Wyatt rigged his oil fields with high explosives and set them off all at once. The resulting fire, thereafter known as "Wyatt's Torch," would prove impossible to extinguish. Shortly before he walked away from his property for the last time, he erected a sign near its front gate:
"I am leaving it as I found it. Take over. It's yours
."

That's probably my favourite line from the book. Wonderful stuff.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 11:55:48 AM
I read Atlas Shrugged. It's a decent book. It really just gives a picture of how Capitalism works. It's written in a fun way so that you won't have to read some boring economics book to get the info about free markets.
Atlas Shrugged came under a lot of criticism from the Left, but the Left doesn't like free markets so no matter how good Atlas Shrugged is, the Left is still not going to like it.
The book was written some time ago so there are some ideas that she has that didn't work so well and have since been corrected. That's not to say that capitalism isn't the best system ever invented, rather it is to say that the government does sometimes have to come along and tweak the system, especially when corruption and monopolies become a problem.