Jump to topic:

Books that touched you emotionally

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:29:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Where they reminded you of something sad, or something you are missing, and made you realize something about yourself, those kind of books.

Recently, I finished Crime and Punishment.

It was one such book for me.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:42:39 PM
The Hungry Caterpillar... no matter what that dude does he is always hungry, but the real tragedy is that his physical hunger is just a metaphor for the emptiness of his soul.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:51:10 PM
For me it will always be "The little engine that could."

The book supports clearly the Capitalist mentality as being an integral part of daily life.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 3:10:14 PM
"A Child Called It". I read it at a time when I thought I hated my mother, then realized it was a phase I would grow out of. After finishing the book, I cried and went to hug my mom!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 3:17:20 PM
At 9/7/2011 1:51:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
For me it will always be "The little engine that could."

The book supports clearly the Capitalist mentality as being an integral part of daily life.

Lol, really? [smh]

Lucky by Alice Sebold is undoubtedly the book that affected me the most in terms of emotions, I guess. Its the memoir of a rape victim (my class had to read 4 memoirs on one topic and mine was rape... fun). She goes into vivid detail regarding her rape scene in the very first chapter. It took me weeks to get through it because I would put it down in the middle of reading; I'm not good with violently graphic things, and this subject was particularly sensitive. She not only described the scene in detail, but then the anguish that came after for a variety of reasons. It was just difficult to get through.
President of DDO
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 3:19:31 PM
I would probably say, 'Notre Dame' by Victor Hugo and bits of Les Miserables. I consider the story of Paquette, the mother of La Esmeralda, to be quite touching...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:14:44 PM
Nothing ever touches me emotionally because im a psychopath.(Inside joke amongst me and My siblings. We say that at every opportunity where someone asks us a question regarding our feelings)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:29:29 PM
A book cannot touch me emotionally. To Kill A Mockingbird I thought was beautiful however.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:49:07 PM
At 9/7/2011 3:19:31 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I would probably say, 'Notre Dame' by Victor Hugo and bits of Les Miserables. I consider the story of Paquette, the mother of La Esmeralda, to be quite touching...

You're 14 and I don't think you have read, listened to, watched or played anything remotely modern.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:50:11 PM
At 9/7/2011 8:49:07 PM, seraine wrote:

You're 14 and I don't think you have read, listened to, watched or played anything remotely modern.

That's how people characterize me, as an old soul...though I've watched some modern indies on television, and read a few modern books, my interests lie in the works of the past...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:58:33 PM
Cat in the Hat.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 9:26:55 PM
At 9/7/2011 1:42:39 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
The Hungry Caterpillar... no matter what that dude does he is always hungry, but the real tragedy is that his physical hunger is just a metaphor for the emptiness of his soul.

lol
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 9:39:34 PM
I'd say that the top four books that have touched me emotionally would be:

1) Slaughterhouse-Five

2) Marley and Me

3) Firegirl

4) Stargirl (not part of a series with Firegirl--two completely different novels).
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 10:23:25 PM
@manisgood: That is a double edged sword.

Of Mice and Men, choked me up at the end.

And "The Grapes of Wrath" is one of the most emotionally moving books ever written.

@seraine. Soldier boys was sad, but good.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:53:33 PM
"Everybody Poops"
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 2:20:54 AM
At 9/7/2011 8:49:07 PM, seraine wrote:

And he used the word portmanteau... I mean really?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 6:57:25 AM
I forget the the name but since 6th grade I have been a souless heartless monster
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
mafiagame3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 7:00:34 AM
At 9/7/2011 1:42:39 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

10/10
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:25:34 PM
Not so much a book, but the short story Flowers for Algernon got pretty sad towards the end. I felt pretty bad for the main character.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 1:18:31 PM
At 9/9/2011 1:16:31 PM, Wnope wrote:
"God Knows" by Joseph Heller.

Really? I tried reading that after Catch-22, but for some reason, the book did not seem to flow for me. Does one have to put in the effort to finish it?
And it will be true.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 1:25:35 PM
At 9/9/2011 1:18:31 PM, Indophile wrote:

Really? I tried reading that after Catch-22, but for some reason, the book did not seem to flow for me. Does one have to put in the effort to finish it?

If you don't like the "flow" of Catch 22 so far I don't suggest continuing. It's my favorite book of all time, but it is very non-linear.

However, God Knows is fairly straightforward. It's the story of King David through his eyes. It's my second favorite Heller, but I had more of an emotional reaction to God Knows than to Catch 22.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 1:27:38 PM
At 9/9/2011 1:25:35 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/9/2011 1:18:31 PM, Indophile wrote:

If you don't like the "flow" of Catch 22 so far I don't suggest continuing. It's my favorite book of all time, but it is very non-linear.

However, God Knows is fairly straightforward. It's the story of King David through his eyes. It's my second favorite Heller, but I had more of an emotional reaction to God Knows than to Catch 22.

You misunderstood. I have read Catch-22. It's the flow of God Knows that I'm talking about. I was not able to get through that. God Knows why though!
And it will be true.