Jump to topic:

"Outing" a friend?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 5:59:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In April, I came out as bisexual. And while at first, it kind of defined me, after a month or so that feeling passed as I finally became totally open with my sexuality. In fact, I've taken jokes from friends lightheartedly, even throwing in a quip or two myself.

However, ever since the beginning of the year, a friend of mine, who, even though IS a good friend, I can't deny that he has a cocky streak, what with being blessed with his life (I think you know the type I'm talking about), has been using my sexuality as a talking point among his rabble of friends (I'm a bit of an outsider, so I don't tend to be in groups), and I'd even go so far as to say a punchline.

Of course, after a while it really got me seething, along with his other douchebaggery. But, I thought rationally and, not wanting to burn bridges, and be a forgiving friend, asked him this morning to not talk about my sexuality with people I don't even know. Of course I'm open about it, but I feel it isn't his place to be talking about it with other people on a near-daily basis. He agreed, although it seemed like he was just trying to brush me off.

Anyway--do you think my course of action was appropriate? If this problem persists, any advice?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:04:53 PM
At 9/9/2011 5:59:01 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
In April, I came out as bisexual. And while at first, it kind of defined me, after a month or so that feeling passed as I finally became totally open with my sexuality. In fact, I've taken jokes from friends lightheartedly, even throwing in a quip or two myself.

However, ever since the beginning of the year, a friend of mine, who, even though IS a good friend, I can't deny that he has a cocky streak, what with being blessed with his life (I think you know the type I'm talking about), has been using my sexuality as a talking point among his rabble of friends (I'm a bit of an outsider, so I don't tend to be in groups), and I'd even go so far as to say a punchline.

Of course, after a while it really got me seething, along with his other douchebaggery. But, I thought rationally and, not wanting to burn bridges, and be a forgiving friend, asked him this morning to not talk about my sexuality with people I don't even know. Of course I'm open about it, but I feel it isn't his place to be talking about it with other people on a near-daily basis. He agreed, although it seemed like he was just trying to brush me off.

Anyway--do you think my course of action was appropriate? If this problem persists, any advice?

Well, I think it was good if you want to keep him as a friend. If it persists, then get something on him and threaten him. If he doesn't stop, then release the info to the world.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:11:37 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:06:30 PM, nonentity wrote:
I think it was definitely appropriate. If he does it again, make a joke about how he gossips like a teenaged girl.

bingo.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:15:05 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:06:30 PM, nonentity wrote:
I think it was definitely appropriate. If he does it again, make a joke about how he gossips like a teenaged girl.

Exactly.
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:15:30 PM
^Boobs
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:15:39 PM
I mean, right on.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:35:10 PM
This is a typical case of how certain things do matter in society. Sexuality, Gender, Race, Religion, Culture, etc.

If you don't wan to be the punchline of jokes from heterosexuals, then don't hang around with them. People joke about other people all the time, if you can't handle being the punchline of a joke, you're going to have a tough life. People joke about me all the time, and I joke about them. It's no big deal. If I find it offensive, then I will make a point to communicate that. Grow so thicker skin. If you are insecure about your sexuality, then you shouldn't have told people. Don't think that you should be treated differently just because you are bisexual. People will joke about you if they see an opening, no matter what that opening may be. Bisexuality, homosexuality, and beastiality are all minorities and on the fringes of being judged by the majority constantly. If my friend likes fat girls and I think it's gross, I might joke about him. It's no different. Don't treat it any differently than anything else someone might use to make a joke about someone.

Why do you care anyway? Go find some new friends. I advise hanging with a group of people that has a few other bisexuals included in it. That way you aren't the outsider.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:38:13 PM
Anyway--do you think my course of action was appropriate?:

If you accurately portrayed it then, yes.

If this problem persists, any advice?:

Give him an ultimatum. If he can't respect your wishes, cut him off.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:39:09 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:35:10 PM, Tiel wrote:
This is a typical case of how certain things do matter in society. Sexuality, Gender, Race, Religion, Culture, etc.

If you don't wan to be the punchline of jokes from heterosexuals, then don't hang around with them. People joke about other people all the time, if you can't handle being the punchline of a joke, you're going to have a tough life. People joke about me all the time, and I joke about them. It's no big deal. If I find it offensive, then I will make a point to communicate that. Grow so thicker skin. If you are insecure about your sexuality, then you shouldn't have told people. Don't think that you should be treated differently just because you are bisexual. People will joke about you if they see an opening, no matter what that opening may be. Bisexuality, homosexuality, and beastiality are all minorities and on the fringes of being judged by the majority constantly. If my friend likes fat girls and I think it's gross, I might joke about him. It's no different. Don't treat it any differently than anything else someone might use to make a joke about someone.

Why do you care anyway? Go find some new friends. I advise hanging with a group of people that has a few other bisexuals included in it. That way you aren't the outsider.

I don't think you understand. I have a fairly thick skin--it's not that my sexuality is a punchline, because I joke about it a lot too. It's that he's joking about it with people I don't even know. It's the PRINCIPLE of the matter.

And what I meant by outsider is that I don't belong to any clique or entourage or whatever. I'm actually in good with everyone.

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:43:14 PM

This is a case where a friend is taking something about you and telling people you don't even know about it?? If you told something to a friend, even if it wasn't a secret per se, why would a friend of a friend of yours need to know about it if you haven't chosen to divulge it to them?

Someone who feels the need to say "Hey guys! This is my friend _____. And, by the way, he's bisexual!" has real issues. Replace the word "bisexual" with absolutely any adjective.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:44:26 PM
Grow so thicker skin. If you are insecure about your sexuality, then you shouldn't have told people.:

He was reluctant to, remember? He feared this might happen, but ultimately thought his friends would be understanding. He also clowned himself for awhile, just rolling with the punches and being a good sport about it, but his sexuality ended up dominating the subject. At some point you're gonna get annoyed with it.

It doesn't sound like he's being a total p*ssy about the whole thing to me. It all sounds reasonable.

Why do you care anyway? Go find some new friends.:

OR he could express to his friends that he doesn't like being treated like a second class citizen. If it persists, then he's going to have to find new friends.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:45:30 PM

If you don't wan to be the punchline of jokes from heterosexuals, then don't hang around with them.
Or maybe, instead of assuming that all heterosexuals behave that way, you can just ignore the ones that do, and surround yourself with the ones that don't.

People joke about other people all the time, if you can't handle being the punchline of a joke, you're going to have a tough life. People joke about me all the time, and I joke about them. It's no big deal. If I find it offensive, then I will make a point to communicate that. Grow so thicker skin.

Or maybe, instead of accepting this dog eat dog mentality, you can try to reason with him. People can make mistakes, and sometimes people are not as bad as you think they are if you just show them how what they're doing may be wrong or unfair.
If you are insecure about your sexuality, then you shouldn't have told people. Don't think that you should be treated differently just because you are bisexual.

Thats not what he was expecting. He was expecting the privacy and respect that every person deserves.
People will joke about you if they see an opening, no matter what that opening may be. Bisexuality, homosexuality, and beastiality are all minorities and on the fringes of being judged by the majority constantly. If my friend likes fat girls and I think it's gross, I might joke about him. It's no different. Don't treat it any differently than anything else someone might use to make a joke about someone.

Or maybe you can bridge your differences and promote understanding...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:52:17 PM
Better yet, take a picture of your friend with a big, fat cock in his mouth and make posters. That kind of behavior is nothing short of ridiculous, and if it happened around me somebody would be bleeding. You can't let yourself get walked over like that, but I've always been lucky enough to have really chill friends.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:12:38 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:39:09 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I don't think you understand. I have a fairly thick skin--it's not that my sexuality is a punchline, because I joke about it a lot too. It's that he's joking about it with people I don't even know. It's the PRINCIPLE of the matter.

And what I meant by outsider is that I don't belong to any clique or entourage or whatever. I'm actually in good with everyone.

Who cares if you know them or not? If you are secure in your sexuality, it doesn't matter. It's the same as any other joke.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:15:59 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:52:17 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Better yet, take a picture of your friend with a big, fat cock in his mouth and make posters. That kind of behavior is nothing short of ridiculous, and if it happened around me somebody would be bleeding. You can't let yourself get walked over like that, but I've always been lucky enough to have really chill friends.

Agreed, and thanks for the kind words. Anyway, and not to speak in cliches, but I actually pity him in a sense--while generally mature, he seems to lack the maturity to not be so juvenile about sexuality. Or maybe he's insecure about his own sexuality.

And, in fact, my coming out was actually very smooth--most of my friends don't even mention it, which is what my whole goal was. Although some girls started treating me like a gay friend, most still recognize that I'm still attracted to women.

On a side note, and strangely enough, the antithesis of the person I'm talking (I'll call him Sam), about actually acts in very much the same way (I'll call the "good guy," Mitch). Y'see, Mitch was one of the first to learn about my sexuality, and he still makes jokes and faux passes at me--but I truly don't mind at all, for 3 reasons:

1) The sexual jokes and faux passes are how he acts anyway--we're both actors, and that's just generally how us theatre kids act around each other, regardless of gender/sexuality.

2) He can actually carry a very intellectual conversation without making a joke, unlike Sam.

3) All those jokes are TO me, not ABOUT me. Also, he does that to everyone, as I said before.

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:17:43 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:43:14 PM, nonentity wrote:

This is a case where a friend is taking something about you and telling people you don't even know about it?? If you told something to a friend, even if it wasn't a secret per se, why would a friend of a friend of yours need to know about it if you haven't chosen to divulge it to them?

Someone who feels the need to say "Hey guys! This is my friend _____. And, by the way, he's bisexual!" has real issues. Replace the word "bisexual" with absolutely any adjective.

Sexuality is an important thing to know in society, as are other things. People talk about other people all the time, if it's a secret that you are telling, that's one thing.. But it's clearly not a secret and here is no reason for not telling it. It's no different from me saying that my friend Alex is a tall girl with blonde hair. It's no secret. The OP is still treating it like it is supposed to be a secret, when it isn't. That's the difference. If it's not a secret, there should be nothing to hide. No reason to not talk about it to other people.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:19:58 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:44:26 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Grow so thicker skin. If you are insecure about your sexuality, then you shouldn't have told people.:

He was reluctant to, remember? He feared this might happen, but ultimately thought his friends would be understanding. He also clowned himself for awhile, just rolling with the punches and being a good sport about it, but his sexuality ended up dominating the subject. At some point you're gonna get annoyed with it.

It doesn't sound like he's being a total p*ssy about the whole thing to me. It all sounds reasonable.

Why do you care anyway? Go find some new friends.:

OR he could express to his friends that he doesn't like being treated like a second class citizen. If it persists, then he's going to have to find new friends.

Yep, either way... It is the same for anything. My friends may not like that I find black woman attractive and make me the punchline of their jokes... It is no different. If you don't like the way your friends are treating you, then it's time to resolve the issue move on. This is with any subject.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:24:54 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:45:30 PM, 000ike wrote:

If you don't wan to be the punchline of jokes from heterosexuals, then don't hang around with them.
Or maybe, instead of assuming that all heterosexuals behave that way, you can just ignore the ones that do, and surround yourself with the ones that don't.

I don't assume anything. You are the one assuming what I said. You could do that, though it is probable that you would run into the same problem in the future.

People joke about other people all the time, if you can't handle being the punchline of a joke, you're going to have a tough life. People joke about me all the time, and I joke about them. It's no big deal. If I find it offensive, then I will make a point to communicate that. Grow so thicker skin.

Or maybe, instead of accepting this dog eat dog mentality, you can try to reason with him. People can make mistakes, and sometimes people are not as bad as you think they are if you just show them how what they're doing may be wrong or unfair.

There is no dog eat dog mentality. He can do as you say, though it is more probable to happen again with the same person or someone else in the future.

If you are insecure about your sexuality, then you shouldn't have told people. Don't think that you should be treated differently just because you are bisexual.

Thats not what he was expecting. He was expecting the privacy and respect that every person deserves.

No, it was never meant to be a secret. He said he came out and was open about it. Get your facts straight. You can't be open about something and them expect it to be a secret.

People will joke about you if they see an opening, no matter what that opening may be. Bisexuality, homosexuality, and beastiality are all minorities and on the fringes of being judged by the majority constantly. If my friend likes fat girls and I think it's gross, I might joke about him. It's no different. Don't treat it any differently than anything else someone might use to make a joke about someone.

Or maybe you can bridge your differences and promote understanding...

Sure, you can try. This doesn't mean it will happen. There is a reason the friend is making jokes, that reason probably won't change.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:32:24 PM

If you did that, that would be an unfair attack as the person in the picture does not like cocks in his mouth. I don't recommend attacking people in that way, you might end up really hurt. I saw a kid get his head stomped on outside a bar for sending a phone picture of his friend photoshop doggystyling President bush. It was funny, but the kid got face stomped in and had to have his jaw wired. He still has permanent damage from that beating.

Attacking isn't going to do any good. Talk to him and try to resolve your issue or move on. Don't treat it like it's supposed to be a secret though, it's not and it never will be. If you are now open about it, then it is open to society to talk about. That's how the real world works. If your friend was telling something that was a secret, that would be a different story.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:34:27 PM
Bumping my post to OMG:

Better yet, take a picture of your friend with a big, fat cock in his mouth and :make posters. That kind of behavior is nothing short of ridiculous, and if it :happened around me somebody would be bleeding. You can't let yourself get :walked over like that, but I've always been lucky enough to have really chill friends.

Agreed, and thanks for the kind words. Anyway, and not to speak in cliches, but I actually pity him in a sense--while generally mature, he seems to lack the maturity to not be so juvenile about sexuality. Or maybe he's insecure about his own sexuality.

And, in fact, my coming out was actually very smooth--most of my friends don't even mention it, which is what my whole goal was. Although some girls started treating me like a gay friend, most still recognize that I'm still attracted to women.

On a side note, and strangely enough, the antithesis of the person I'm talking (I'll call him Sam), about actually acts in very much the same way (I'll call the "good guy," Mitch). Y'see, Mitch was one of the first to learn about my sexuality, and he still makes jokes and faux passes at me--but I truly don't mind at all, for 3 reasons:

1) The sexual jokes and faux passes are how he acts anyway--we're both actors, and that's just generally how us theatre kids act around each other, regardless of gender/sexuality.

2) He can actually carry a very intellectual conversation without making a joke, unlike Sam.

3) All those jokes are TO me, not ABOUT me. Also, he does that to everyone, as I said before.

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:36:47 PM
DN, I told you I would get to it. I'm going out in a few minutes and if you have a direct question you want to ask me just message me since I'm not really sure what you want to know. I've read the post, I just don't know what kind of response you want.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:50:21 PM
Either way, don't attack the kid unless you are a good fighter and can handle a war.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:57:45 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:39:09 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I'm in the same position as you on the bolded part. I just don't have anything to do with the druggies.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 8:52:33 PM
At 9/9/2011 7:50:21 PM, Tiel wrote:
Either way, don't attack the kid unless you are a good fighter and can handle a war.

I'm a fcuking ninja.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 10:22:06 PM
At 9/9/2011 8:52:33 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 9/9/2011 7:50:21 PM, Tiel wrote:

I'm a fcuking ninja.

Go for it then. I am barbaric in the way that I find war interesting, though I feel modern technology has taken all the fun out of it. Bombs and guns don't show fighting skills in my opinion. Any moron can pull a trigger with a scope on it. Hand to hand combat is where it's at.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 1:39:47 AM
You are a 15 year old boy and you have come out as a bisexual? Dude you have balls.

Big fine manly balls.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
bobhobknob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 1:51:20 AM
At 9/9/2011 5:59:01 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Seems reasonable IMO, but you do have to realize not to be angry. 1/3 of the world isn't bisexual and therefore it's naturally an interesting talking point. Whether you realize it or not there are probably plenty of people talking it about it when the topic comes up. Don't be too hard on the bloke, but yeah if he's your friends that's not cool. I would just not say anything about it and find a new friend if I were you. Saying something about it won't stop him from talking as he pleases when you aren't around.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 5:10:32 AM
At 9/10/2011 1:51:20 AM, bobhobknob wrote:

1/3 of the world isn't bisexual

So two thirds of people are bisexual?

Wow, I'm really getting out of touch with modern society :)
iamdrunkritenow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 1:16:46 AM
At 9/10/2011 5:10:32 AM, feverish wrote:
At 9/10/2011 1:51:20 AM, bobhobknob wrote:

1/3 of the world isn't bisexual

So two thirds of people are bisexual?

Wow, I'm really getting out of touch with modern society :)

haha i was just saying that there's not a large % :P