Jump to topic:

Cats or Dogs?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 3:35:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I saw that this was one of the recently finished debates--but I wanted to know which you prefer.

I personally adore cats, and prefer them to dogs. Why? I feel as though cats are more apt to have their own complete personality, and with very subtle nuances. My cat is practically his own person 'round the house. Also, I just think that the (generally) independent nature of cats make them much more interesting (and low-maintenance, to some extent) companions. Not only that, but they're more expressive in my opinion, boasting a general vocabulary of over 100 sounds.

But what do you all prefer?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 3:39:16 PM
Depends. There are some retched cats and retched dogs too. They are both wonderful company if trained, housebroken, and disciplined.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:43:11 PM
I prefer cats because they're quieter and easier to take care of. They clean themselves (though you still have to bathe them occasionally), learn the litter box very fast, and don't need constant attention. You can't go on vacation for a week and leave your dog at the house, but you can leave a cat alone for a few days. The only issue I've had is clawing, but this is still preferable to a dog's chewing.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:45:50 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:43:11 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I prefer cats because they're quieter and easier to take care of. They clean themselves (though you still have to bathe them occasionally), learn the litter box very fast, and don't need constant attention. You can't go on vacation for a week and leave your dog at the house, but you can leave a cat alone for a few days. The only issue I've had is clawing, but this is still preferable to a dog's chewing.

Though some find this morally reprehensible, we generally declaw our cats completely at an early age--largely due to a bad experience with one cat injuring the new cat.

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:47:52 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:40:11 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 9/11/2011 3:37:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Hate all animals.

What?! Why?

They are icky and dirty, they bark, they bite, they claw, they scratch. Why would I want to deal with all that crap.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:48:57 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:45:50 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/11/2011 4:43:11 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Though some find this morally reprehensible, we generally declaw our cats completely at an early age--largely due to a bad experience with one cat injuring the new cat.

I just clip my cat. If you start early they get used to it and dont mind. Same with a bath.

But as long as its an inside-cat only, I dont see a problem with declawing. But I've heard of several cats showing signs of depression following the operation.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:50:53 PM
I prefer dogs with their playfulness and want of attention. Cats are too aloof and detached for me, always sitting by the window and being quiet.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:52:01 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:47:52 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Hate all animals.

What?! Why?

They are icky and dirty, they bark, they bite, they claw, they scratch. Why would I want to deal with all that crap.

But cats clean themselves and don't even get that dirty. Scratching also isn't a big deal as long as you don't have leather chairs in your house. You can buy them a scratcher anyway and train them to use it.

Just curious, how many pets have you had?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:53:28 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:52:01 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Hate all animals.

What?! Why?

But cats clean themselves and don't even get that dirty. Scratching also isn't a big deal as long as you don't have leather chairs in your house. You can buy them a scratcher anyway and train them to use it.

I had a parrot when I was 4-5 years old but since then, no pets. I got bit by a puppy when I was a kid so hate dogs. Hate cats too.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:55:59 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:50:53 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I prefer dogs with their playfulness and want of attention. Cats are too aloof and detached for me, always sitting by the window and being quiet.

In the words of Jack Byrnes: You need that assurance, do you? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal? You see, Greg, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:57:13 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:53:28 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Hate all animals.

What?! Why?

I had a parrot when I was 4-5 years old but since then, no pets. I got bit by a puppy when I was a kid so hate dogs. Hate cats too.

And F-16's heart was two sizes too small....

No, I'm just kidding. You sure you wouldn't give a cat a chance?

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:58:51 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:51:09 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
@Blackvoid

1) You are a guy
2) You have a cat

Something doesn't seem to add up. There must be a logical fallacy in my statements.

I dont even know what to say to this. Seems like a pretty dumb stereotype.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:00:47 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:58:51 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
@Blackvoid

1) You are a guy
2) You have a cat

Something doesn't seem to add up. There must be a logical fallacy in my statements.

Actually, in my experience, girls prefer dogs to cats, and guys prefer cats.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:02:35 PM
@Blackvoid

1) You are a guy
2) You have a cat

guys can have cats. What I can't stand are when hollywood actors carry chiwawas in their purses. That should be a crime!
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:02:40 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:57:13 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Hate all animals.

What?! Why?

No, I'd get completely freaked out that there is an actual living thing in my bedroom/house. The only living things in my room should be human beings. I mean, what if they pee on my bed? What if they chew my pants/socks? What if they lick my shoes?

I hate all animals: cats, dogs, insects, flies, bugs, rats, snakes, squirrels, everything and anything that has the potential to get close to you and annoy you.

Also, I'm curious at Man-is-good, Blackvoid, and Detectable Ninja: Do you huys wash your hands after handling your cat/dog? Because I definitely spend a lot of time washing my hands anytime I touch an animal. No cut that, anytime an animal accidentally touches me.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:03:14 PM
At 9/11/2011 5:00:47 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
@Blackvoid

1) You are a guy
2) You have a cat

Well, in my experience girls prefer cats and guys prefer dogs...in general. But I got the feeling that he was implying I'm not a man because I don't conform to the majority.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:04:37 PM
At 9/11/2011 5:02:40 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/11/2011 4:57:13 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Hate all animals.

What?! Why?

No, I'd get completely freaked out that there is an actual living thing in my bedroom/house. The only living things in my room should be human beings. I mean, what if they pee on my bed? What if they chew my pants/socks? What if they lick my shoes?

I hate all animals: cats, dogs, insects, flies, bugs, rats, snakes, squirrels, everything and anything that has the potential to get close to you and annoy you.

Also, I'm curious at Man-is-good, Blackvoid, and Detectable Ninja: Do you huys wash your hands after handling your cat/dog? Because I definitely spend a lot of time washing my hands anytime I touch an animal. No cut that, anytime an animal accidentally touches me.

Nope. In fact, right now I'm petting my cat like a supervillian, and eating grapes with the same hand.

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:05:30 PM
@Blackvoid, sorry about stereotyping. I was just surprised at the number of guys on this forum who have cats. I always thought guys don't buy cats, but obviously, I was just guilty of stereotyping.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:08:44 PM
No hard feelings. At least I dont talk to my cat as much as some people. I hear some people will talk nonstop to their animals xD
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:08:49 PM
At 9/11/2011 5:03:14 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 9/11/2011 5:00:47 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
@Blackvoid

1) You are a guy
2) You have a cat

Well, in my experience girls prefer cats and guys prefer dogs...in general. But I got the feeling that he was implying I'm not a man because I don't conform to the majority.

That was not my intention. Again, I apologize.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:12:08 PM
At 9/11/2011 5:08:44 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
No hard feelings. At least I dont talk to my cat as much as some people. I hear some people will talk nonstop to their animals xD

The ones who regard their pet as their only companion are definitely the weirdest ones who have no friends besides their pet.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:49:41 PM
At 9/11/2011 5:12:08 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

The ones who regard their pet as their only companion are definitely the weirdest ones who have no friends besides their pet.

Well that's not a fair generalization at all. Some people dislike other human beings because, to put it plainly, people have some @$$hole personalities and characteristics. They escape that all through finding an animal who provides unconditional love and affection. Some people escape that stuff through music. Others escape it through hobbies, or going out and observing nature or something. I don't pretend to completely understand the people who only speak to pets, but at the very least I can sympathize with why someone would do that. I don't think your generalization of calling them weirdos is fair.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:51:32 PM
At 9/11/2011 5:49:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/11/2011 5:12:08 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Well that's not a fair generalization at all. Some people dislike other human beings because, to put it plainly, people have some @$$hole personalities and characteristics. They escape that all through finding an animal who provides unconditional love and affection. Some people escape that stuff through music. Others escape it through hobbies, or going out and observing nature or something. I don't pretend to completely understand the people who only speak to pets, but at the very least I can sympathize with why someone would do that. I don't think your generalization of calling them weirdos is fair.

Okay.

I have no pets, and don't really know anything about them. So, I'll take your word for it.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 6:47:06 PM
Hate all animals.

Thank You!!

The only animal that I can stand to have as a rabbit like the kind my sister has.

It's lazy, lays down a lot, eats junk food, and watches TV.....so we have a lot in common.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 6:48:23 PM
At 9/11/2011 6:47:06 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
Hate all animals.

Thank You!!

The only animal that I can stand to have as a pet is a rabbit like the kind my sister has.

It's lazy, lays down a lot, eats junk food, and watches TV.....so we have a lot in common.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.