Jump to topic:

New Study: Why Alcohol Alters Your Actions

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:49:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"...alcohol doesn't reduce your awareness of mistakes - it reduces how much you care about making those mistakes."

http://www.news-medical.net...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 9:30:06 AM
At 9/15/2011 2:49:01 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"...alcohol doesn't reduce your awareness of mistakes - it reduces how much you care about making those mistakes."

Sounds like something most of American students are doing.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 8:44:32 PM

http://www.news-medical.net...

That's how I always figured it. People still know what they're doing.. they're just more apt to say F*ck it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:25:35 AM
false. you've clearly never blacked out.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:31:30 AM
At 9/16/2011 2:25:35 AM, bluesteel wrote:

I have a higher tolerance than that. I've drank to the point of throwing up multiple times, yet was still able to walk around and talk, no black out.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
AH64_Apache
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:48:00 AM
I haven't ever got drunk but the way I see it, research suggests that alcohol can impair your brain functioning making it run slower.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 2:28:14 AM
Well blacking out definitely reduces your awareness of mistakes.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 12:38:05 PM
Well, you know, and then certain people will just make up sh!t if they even smell alcohol on you. You know, those @ssholes who have a moral crusade against the stuff, and believe that the ends justify the means.

I really don't care for people who make up sh!t when they are around you, and then make it like you couldn't possibly know that what they are saying isn't true, because you are drunk.....

....After you've had 2 beers.... ಠ.ಠ

Oh no, but certainly, alcohol does help you give less of a fvck. In fact, I wrote a song called "I don't give a fvck" after drinking a 6 pack.

http://www.newgrounds.com...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 4:36:18 AM
At 9/17/2011 2:28:14 AM, bluesteel wrote:
Well blacking out definitely reduces your awareness of mistakes.

Do you mean passing out, or do you mean memory loss?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 5:45:59 AM

Just b/c you don't remember it happening Later doesn't mean you weren't aware of it While it was happening.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 11:41:46 PM
At 9/19/2011 5:45:59 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Just b/c you don't remember it happening Later doesn't mean you weren't aware of it While it was happening.

this. also i thought everyone knew that alcohol reduces inhibitions? thats what its famous for after all...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 11:49:52 PM
At 9/19/2011 11:41:46 PM, belle wrote:

this. also i thought everyone knew that alcohol reduces inhibitions? thats what its famous for after all...

I have blacked out. I cannot claim to be aware, but I know that I have no recollection of that time period. Based on first hand witnesses, I have done some things I would not do sober. Hmmm... Which is the real me?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 11:53:48 PM
At 9/19/2011 11:49:52 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 9/19/2011 11:41:46 PM, belle wrote:

I have blacked out. I cannot claim to be aware, but I know that I have no recollection of that time period. Based on first hand witnesses, I have done some things I would not do sober. Hmmm... Which is the real me?

i used to be an extremely heavy drinker lol and i've thought about this alot. i think your inhibitions are a part of you... for example, not behaving like a retard (as many drunk people seem to have no problem doing :P).... i think thats the "real me". i also think that being shy is, in a sense, the "real me" although there are other aspects of me separate from that that may come out more when i am drunk. your drunk self is a distorted version of you because some aspects are knocked out, and others are overemphasized. at least thats my understanding. sorry if you weren't looking for a rant, i've had a bit of wine :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 3:56:47 PM
I have interacted with enough blacked out people and have done it enough myself to tell you that you are not aware of what you are doing. People do things and act in ways they never would if remotely sober. Blacking out is not "forgetting" something you've done; it's its own unique state of inebriation where you have literally lost awareness of what you are doing, but somehow manage to still function. When someone is blacked out and belligerent, it's actually pretty scary since they don't seem to recognize their friends as friends.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 4:04:10 PM

That can't be proven either way though, can it?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 7:20:35 PM
I completely agree with bluesteel's assessment.

However Ore_Ele is probably right in that it can not be proven.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 7:22:10 PM
Actually I don't think it matters if it can be proven or whatever. I agree that while you're blacked out drunk you really "are not yourself" insofar as not consciously aware of your actions; the inebriation is too great. This, of course, is different than just being really drunk.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 8:58:18 PM
At 9/21/2011 3:56:47 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I have interacted with enough blacked out people and have done it enough myself to tell you that you are not aware of what you are doing. People do things and act in ways they never would if remotely sober. Blacking out is not "forgetting" something you've done; it's its own unique state of inebriation where you have literally lost awareness of what you are doing, but somehow manage to still function. When someone is blacked out and belligerent, it's actually pretty scary since they don't seem to recognize their friends as friends.

I've lost a night before.. and my friends got me back ok, and didn't say I acted out of character.. though I'm sure I acted differently than I do when sober.

However Certainly awareness of What's going on broadly does diminish as you get progressively intoxicated.. For example there was a story recently of some olympic athlete who, while on a flight, ended up getting out of his seat to walk down the aisle and pee on a young girl thinking he was at the restroom..

This I can see happening.. However... he was still Aware of what he Thought he was doing.. he gettin up to go pee.. he just wasn't (fully) aware of what was around him.. you know.. the details...

This happens as you get progressively drunk... but from all that I can tell you're still aware of Acting.. your disposition, and ability, to pay attention to what's going on around you diminishes

Metaphysics:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 10:10:16 PM
At 9/21/2011 8:58:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
This I can see happening.. However... he was still Aware of what he Thought he was doing.. he gettin up to go pee.. he just wasn't (fully) aware of what was around him.. you know.. the details...

So someone who sleep walks knows what they're doing? I say he was probably on auto-pilot. His body physically reacted to him having to pee, i.e. attempting to do so in the bathroom, but he "wasn't aware" of his surroundings or what he was doing exactly. He was only aware that he had to pee. Even then it could have been a fleeting thought. I dunno, I think the semi-awareness that occurs is not really enough to be called 'aware' per se. But how did this convo even come up again? :P
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 10:11:40 PM

Oh yeah, the OP. I don't really agree with this if you're blacked out, like I said. But it's true for people who are just ballsy and drunk or who have lowered inhibitions while drunk. People also like to rely on the "I was so drunk" excuse. So annoying.
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 10:40:18 PM
At 9/21/2011 8:58:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/21/2011 3:56:47 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I've lost a night before.. and my friends got me back ok, and didn't say I acted out of character.. though I'm sure I acted differently than I do when sober.

Fights, peeing where you shouldn't, breaking stuff, and sleeping with someone you really otherwise wouldn't - those seem to be the main things people do.

A lot of blacked out people are pretty subdued, since many are about to pass out. But often caffeine (red bull vodkas, or jager bombs) makes for some crazy blacked out people.

We lost track of one of my friends once when he blacked out on New Years. I thought he was passed out in the hotel room, went to the bathroom, next thing I knew he was gone. I chased him out of the hotel, but he managed to lose me. He shows up 6 hours later, having lost his phone, and with some story about a limo full of hot girls who gave him a ride... I guess it could have been worse.

Another blacked out friend ran away and almost jumped into a taxi 4 blocks away from the club, except we managed to chase him down.

I have to say the weirdest thing is when you partially black out but remember certain snippets because you're not really in any sort of control of what you're doing, but you can kind of remember what you were thinking at the time later. Like this one time I thought I was hooking up with the Tri-Delt president, only to find out an hour later, when I somehow came out of my blacked out state, that it was in fact a girl that looked somewhat like her, but not really.

I basically only remember two things from that one hour time block. Meeting the president of Tri-Delt, and then a quick flash, some time later, of one of my friends telling me to not hook up with her, and I'm like, "dude, she's the president of Tri-Delt, she's hot." And then that's the last thing I remember for quite awhile.

Obviously, it was two different girls, but I got confused, since my brain only really remembered meeting the president of the sorority.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 10:46:32 PM
At 9/21/2011 10:11:40 PM, Danielle wrote:

Oh yeah, the OP. I don't really agree with this if you're blacked out, like I said. But it's true for people who are just ballsy and drunk or who have lowered inhibitions while drunk. People also like to rely on the "I was so drunk" excuse. So annoying.

Yeah I hate that excuse. My friend blacked out once and tackled me on pavement, and tried to wrestle me, until I managed to pin him to the ground. He skinned my knee, ripped my favorite jeans, and broke my favorite bracelet. I was SOOOOO pissed I didn't think I would ever forgive him, and I was just waiting the next morning for him to be like, "oh sorry, I was drunk" and then I was determined not to forgive him and say that was a pathetic excuse.

But I get up the next morning and his wrist is all swollen (turns out its broken), he has this FAT, horrible, pus-y scrape on his face, and he just looks soooo pathetic, and asks "what happened last night" that I somehow couldn't stay mad at him.