Jump to topic:

Oratory

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:46:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I suck at any kind of debate that involves talking. The words get all jumbled in my head and I speak too fast and I can't organize my thoughts. Does anyone have tips on improving at speaking in general?

P.S. Please don't get into semantical BS.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:55:10 PM
At 9/20/2011 7:46:37 PM, seraine wrote:
I suck at any kind of debate that involves talking. The words get all jumbled in my head and I speak too fast and I can't organize my thoughts. Does anyone have tips on improving at speaking in general?

lol, semantical BS is what will give you success in the art of oration. Whether or not you like it, word choices, nuance, and vocabulary have a profound effect on an audience. One who spits out simple language and plain and simple sentences is not necessarily going to fair well even with the layman audience. Making sure you use a wide range of vocabulary and complex was of phrasing things, and really getting picky and semantical about what words you choose is what will give you the effect of knowing what you're talking about. This is all under presentation.

Substance. Make sure that you write down bullets of your major talking points on an index card the night prior, this way you don't stumble and forget. It you speak too fast, stop yourself, take a deep breath, and pretend that you're having a private conversation with a friend. Look your audience in the eye, have god posture, sitting or standing, and project your voice so people don't fall asleep.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:05:30 PM
Just relax. Don't over plan what you want to say. Be confident. Show personality. Don't take it seriously.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:07:36 PM

Videotape yourself speaking. You're not going to like what you see; almost nobody does. But it makes it really easy to see what you need to improve on.

Do you have trouble speaking because you're in front of people, or do you just have trouble in general?
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:08:47 PM
Assuming this is a 10 minute speech just go over it and make sure you have it down before the day you give it. Don't try to memorize word for word, but get the general sentences out. I was afraid the first time I gave an Original Oratory too, but I went up there and recited my speech fine and when I came to parts of the speech that I forgot I was surprised at how fast I could fill it in on the top of my head.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:11:37 PM
Seeing as how you're a teen like me, I would not recommend the classic "picture them in their underwear," trick:
1) It doesn't work.
2) The last time I tried it I got aroused.

Anyway. It's hard to give advice about public speaking, except to keep speaking in public and, if you'd like, start acting.

After all, acting is how I got to be good at public speaking.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:22:20 PM
At 9/20/2011 8:20:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Watch the master. 0:48 is where I start.

So that's what you look like.

*cuts out and saves picture of Freedo*

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:23:53 PM
At 9/20/2011 7:55:10 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol, semantical BS is what will give you success in the art of oration. Whether or not you like it, word choices, nuance, and vocabulary have a profound effect on an audience. One who spits out simple language and plain and simple sentences is not necessarily going to fair well even with the layman audience. Making sure you use a wide range of vocabulary and complex was of phrasing things, and really getting picky and semantical about what words you choose is what will give you the effect of knowing what you're talking about. This is all under presentation.

Substance. Make sure that you write down bullets of your major talking points on an index card the night prior, this way you don't stumble and forget. It you speak too fast, stop yourself, take a deep breath, and pretend that you're having a private conversation with a friend. Look your audience in the eye, have god posture, sitting or standing, and project your voice so people don't fall asleep.

I get all the same problems when I am debating with a friend.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:29:00 PM
At 9/20/2011 8:23:53 PM, seraine wrote:

Talking too fast? Probably ideas coming too quickly. Thats why you should probably use index cards. That way you confine your segments of speech to one topic, and slow down the idea surge. You could also pace yourself, almost like a calm clock, counting in your head slowly, at around the speed of the clock secondhand (not while you give the speech, minutes and seconds before it). Relax, breath in breath out. Take pauses MODERATELY often, and continue.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:33:30 PM
At 9/20/2011 8:29:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/20/2011 8:23:53 PM, seraine wrote:

Talking too fast? Probably ideas coming too quickly. Thats why you should probably use index cards. That way you confine your segments of speech to one topic, and slow down the idea surge. You could also pace yourself, almost like a calm clock, counting in your head slowly, at around the speed of the clock secondhand (not while you give the speech, minutes and seconds before it). Relax, breath in breath out. Take pauses MODERATELY often, and continue.

To add to this--remember: how you sound in your head is slower than what your audience hears. You may hear your own voice going at a natural pace, but to others, it's very fast. So I would recommend trying to slow yourself to what sounds a bit too slow in your head. Trust me: to your audience you'll sound as though you're speaking at a normal pace.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:36:20 PM
I remember running for student council vp last year, my problem was stage fright and projection of voice. lol It came out decent though. Don't worry, you'll do well, as in any skill, so long as you practice.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 8:42:25 PM
At 9/20/2011 8:05:30 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Just relax. Don't over plan what you want to say. Be confident. Show personality. Don't take it seriously.

This
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 2:49:33 AM
I've found that when i am confident on the subject matter and have done some dry run rehearsals, I'm much better. I also have found that I need to speak at irregular paces, go slow then fast, but it should sound natural, and pauses are really okay as long as they are planned and not big pregnant pauses.

I have another big presentation a week from Thursday. Sometimes i hit it out of the park and sometimes i fail, the more i do it the better i get, but i really do have to prepare ahead of time.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 3:23:51 AM
At 9/20/2011 8:07:36 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Videotape yourself speaking. You're not going to like what you see; almost nobody does. But it makes it really easy to see what you need to improve on.

Agree 100%. I don't like seeing myself on video or listening to myself on audio. There was a time where I recorded myself singing "Under the Bridge" and just couldn't stop re-recording it because each time, it sounded so horrible. But I guess I was just comparing myself to the original singer so it should be expected.

Interesting how a lot of people don't like seeing or hearing themselves but are perfectly fine seeing others on video. Is that what we really sound like? Also, I don't get how politicians and news anchors sound so natural on video.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 12:27:09 PM
Sam Harris recently wrote a particularly good essay on public speaking that I highly recommend: http://www.samharris.org...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 12:50:15 PM
Never ever learn your speech by heart. Just learn the key points and kind of explain each of them swiftly. Don't take it too seriously and don't think too much about te fact that you think you can't speak. Each speech should be a new experiment.