Jump to topic:

Cut Throat Razors

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 10:02:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Who shaves with an old traditional cut throat razor? And who seriously thought that description was a good marketing gimmick.

No but seriously I am never satisifed with the quality of my shave, thinking of going old school.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 10:07:55 AM
At 9/22/2011 10:02:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Who shaves with an old traditional cut throat razor? And who seriously thought that description was a good marketing gimmick.

No but seriously I am never satisifed with the quality of my shave, thinking of going old school.

I need to be able to grow facial hair first. But if you want a REAL close shave, you should wax. No razor is going to get closer.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 10:18:02 AM
At 9/22/2011 10:07:55 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I need to be able to grow facial hair first. But if you want a REAL close shave, you should wax. No razor is going to get closer.

Wax your face? Do people do that?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 10:56:16 AM
At 9/22/2011 10:18:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Uh, yeah. Women do it all the time lol. I get my eyebrows waxed. Some women bleach their upper lip; most wax it. To the unlucky women who do grow hair on their chin (and a lot more of them exist then you think), they tend to wax that as well.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:24:27 AM
At 9/22/2011 10:56:16 AM, Danielle wrote:

Uh, yeah. Women do it all the time lol. I get my eyebrows waxed. Some women bleach their upper lip; most wax it. To the unlucky women who do grow hair on their chin (and a lot more of them exist then you think), they tend to wax that as well.

Women are insane, that will hurt like a bitch. There must be a reason why men don't wax their faces, beyond sanity or weakness. Those little hairs that women tend to get are maybe easier to remove? I full face wax for a man, I am not sure if that is feasible.

Reminds me of a conversation with the ex...
Her: Is my upper lip getting hairy, can you notice it.
Me: Not it's fine.
Her: What do you mean by fine?
Me: You can't notice it.
Her: So you can see it then.
Me: Yea I suppose so.
Her: Is it bad then?
Me: No no... okay it's getting worse.
Her: What oh no! I'll bleach it.
Me: No then it's still there, wax it.
Her: I don't like waxing it <insert random whining here>.
Me: Of course you don't like waxing, you don't like anything that efficiently and conveniently solves a problem you hairy bitch!!! Wax it! You disgust me!

Sorry that was meant to be an amusing anecdote at some point... nevermind.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:29:06 AM
At 9/22/2011 11:24:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Women are insane, that will hurt like a bitch. There must be a reason why men don't wax their faces, beyond sanity or weakness. Those little hairs that women tend to get are maybe easier to remove? I full face wax for a man, I am not sure if that is feasible.

Grow a pair and stop b!tching about a little "pain," ya pvssy!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:31:46 AM
At 9/22/2011 11:29:06 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Ha! At least I can grow a beard!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:39:20 AM
At 9/22/2011 11:31:46 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I wasn't aware that having a beard was superior to not having one, lol. And if it is, why do you want to shave it off? If anything, that implies that not having a beard is superior, and so growing a beard is a negative thing.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:40:47 AM
At 9/22/2011 11:39:20 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I wasn't aware that having a beard was superior to not having one, lol. And if it is, why do you want to shave it off? If anything, that implies that not having a beard is superior, and so growing a beard is a negative thing.

I am objectively superior to you in that I can grow a beard, but beards are icky. Silence you baby faced oik!
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:41:18 AM
I think men enjoy shaving. Waxing means the hair will take longer to grow back. If you shave the hair will grow back in 2-3 days, but if you wax it's more like 2-3 weeks. I always wondered why men don't wax their beards and this is the only explanation I can think of.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:41:49 AM
At 9/22/2011 11:40:47 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/22/2011 11:39:20 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I am objectively superior to you in that I can grow a beard, but beards are icky. Silence you baby faced oik!

You must be an Osama Bin Ladin worshiper!!!
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:42:11 AM
At 9/22/2011 11:41:18 AM, nonentity wrote:
I think men enjoy shaving. Waxing means the hair will take longer to grow back. If you shave the hair will grow back in 2-3 days, but if you wax it's more like 2-3 weeks. I always wondered why men don't wax their beards and this is the only explanation I can think of.

That they enjoy the "manliness" of the ability to grow a beard and having to shave it.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:43:36 AM

1) most men are babies that don't like pain.

2) you can't wax hair that is too long.

3) waxing can only 100% remove, so you can't simply wax it to a shorter length (like trimming it up).

Though if you want cool beard designs, waxing is the way to go.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:43:47 AM

I don't like shaving, it's just no one has ever told us that we can wax... no seriously I think thats it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:46:35 AM
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com...

Popular opinion on the matter.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:52:26 AM
At 9/22/2011 11:46:35 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com...

Popular opinion on the matter.

There were only 4 votes...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 12:05:49 PM
You can't wax your face if you have serious facial hair, i have a particularly heavy beard. It's just not practical, and facial hair is very strong and virulent, no body ever goes bald on their face (I wish). So pulling it with wax wouldn't work. I've been a test shaver for Gillette for years, I don't have to pay for razors but i try some really bad products, and some good products.

We don't call them cut throat razors here, they're just straight edge. I can't imagine going to that. Could go the way of the Roman tonsors who would pluck the hairs; i would imagine that would be very time consuming.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 12:10:06 PM
At 9/22/2011 12:05:49 PM, innomen wrote:
You can't wax your face if you have serious facial hair, i have a particularly heavy beard. It's just not practical, and facial hair is very strong and virulent, no body ever goes bald on their face (I wish). So pulling it with wax wouldn't work. I've been a test shaver for Gillette for years, I don't have to pay for razors but i try some really bad products, and some good products.

That sounds like it must've been fun (not).

Facial hair! You wish it'll grow faster when you are young, and you wish it'll stop growing so damn fast when you get old.

Women are lucky in this matter, that is, women who don't have visible facial hair. The only physiological advantage over men, IMO.

We don't call them cut throat razors here, they're just straight edge. I can't imagine going to that. Could go the way of the Roman tonsors who would pluck the hairs; i would imagine that would be very time consuming.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 12:18:42 PM
At 9/22/2011 12:14:59 PM, nonentity wrote:
What's so bad about facial hair? A little bit of scruff is super hot.
On men or women?
And it will be true.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 12:19:23 PM

Yeah, well, it's only hot in certain contexts, but if i show up to an appointment without having shaved it would be bad.

I don't shave once a week, every sunday, and Carlos does like the way it looks, but I don't like the way it feels. Someone once said, the only thing worse than shaving is having a beard - true dat.

@Ind I still am a test shaver and they sent me a blade yesterday. I save a ton in razors, they're damn expensive.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 12:21:10 PM

Assuming it comes in evenly and all. I have little bald patches on my chin and such.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 12:26:43 PM
At 9/22/2011 12:19:23 PM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, well, it's only hot in certain contexts, but if i show up to an appointment without having shaved it would be bad.

True. My boyfriend used to be clean-shaven and I mentioned that I like the scruff and now he refuses to shave all the way down and I kind of miss the clean-shavenness.

I don't shave once a week, every sunday, and Carlos does like the way it looks, but I don't like the way it feels. Someone once said, the only thing worse than shaving is having a beard - true dat.

@Ind I still am a test shaver and they sent me a blade yesterday. I save a ton in razors, they're damn expensive.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 2:05:05 PM
At 9/22/2011 12:26:43 PM, nonentity wrote:

True. My boyfriend used to be clean-shaven and I mentioned that I like the scruff and now he refuses to shave all the way down and I kind of miss the clean-shavenness.

That would be for a different thread. Now how clean shaven do guys really get ;-)?
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 2:09:30 PM

How does one land that "job"? Test shaver. Does one have to have particularly rough and tough facial hair or what?
And it will be true.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 2:21:32 PM
@nonentity

lol, be careful what you wish for.

I've had my eyebrows waxed as part of a spa treatment. It wasn't particularly painful, although doing that on my beard, where the hair grows much thicker, sounds really painful. Shaving your face with a good 3-4 bladed razor takes like 2 minutes. If you get one that oscillates (like the Gillette Fusion) it's almost impossible to cut yourself too.

To the ladies that are suggesting this: if you were being paid millions to play a cancer patient in a movie, would you shave your head every day with a razor or wax your head?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 2:39:48 PM
At 9/22/2011 2:09:30 PM, Indophile wrote:

How does one land that "job"? Test shaver. Does one have to have particularly rough and tough facial hair or what?

My brother in law was working at Gillette at the time, he got me into the thing, and they just kept it up. I have to send in a report after i use the blade. No big deal, and i think they're always looking for people to test their stuff. The blades aren't always so great though.

@Blue, it takes a lot longer than 2-3 minutes for me. I do have a very heavy beard (see pic) and it takes more like 20+ minutes. I've had my back waxed and it was tolerable, but itchy afterward. I don't have a super hairy back though, and apparently if it was more hairy it would hurt more.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 2:53:43 PM
At 9/22/2011 10:07:55 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Girls can't grow facial hair though :p.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 2:58:06 PM
At 9/22/2011 2:05:05 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/22/2011 12:26:43 PM, nonentity wrote:

That would be for a different thread. Now how clean shaven do guys really get ;-)?

That's not what I meant hahaha whoops! I meant that he shaves, but he uses the kind of razor that only trims it down :p
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 3:03:42 PM
At 9/22/2011 2:21:32 PM, bluesteel wrote:
@nonentity

lol, be careful what you wish for.

I've had my eyebrows waxed as part of a spa treatment. It wasn't particularly painful, although doing that on my beard, where the hair grows much thicker, sounds really painful. Shaving your face with a good 3-4 bladed razor takes like 2 minutes. If you get one that oscillates (like the Gillette Fusion) it's almost impossible to cut yourself too.

To the ladies that are suggesting this: if you were being paid millions to play a cancer patient in a movie, would you shave your head every day with a razor or wax your head?

Yeah that sounds extremely painful haha But at the same time, waxing also reduces your hair growth rate and I wouldn't want to do that to the top of my head.