Jump to topic:

Political facebook posts

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:19:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So what do you guys do about political facebook posts? Do any of you try to start a debate, or realize that its not worth it because it will likely alienate you and you are unlikely to get a civil response?

I realize that most people on facebook post politic posts to validate their opinion rather then actual discussion.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:45:42 AM
At 9/27/2011 12:19:29 AM, darkkermit wrote:
So what do you guys do about political facebook posts? Do any of you try to start a debate, or realize that its not worth it because it will likely alienate you and you are unlikely to get a civil response?

I realize that most people on facebook post politic posts to validate their opinion rather then actual discussion.

Lol, let someone try and post something about america or how we should accept illegal immigration XD.
They usally present a very weak argument thats only backed by emotion not fact.
randolph7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:23:50 PM
I don't mind political discussions with people that can carry on rationally. However, too often you get the thin-skinned who take an opinion as a personal attack on them and defend their position to the death. I'd rather avoid the drama.
"ahh but i have indeed found the burdon of truth the, muffs have found it. oh mothy dear dear mothy"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:26:11 PM
At 9/27/2011 12:23:50 PM, randolph7 wrote:
I don't mind political discussions with people that can carry on rationally. However, too often you get the thin-skinned who take an opinion as a personal attack on them and defend their position to the death. I'd rather avoid the drama.

By defend their position do you mean commit logical fallacies XP and horrible arguments?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:38:42 PM

There is nothing to be gained from arguing with them. Posting about politics is the quickest way for me to de-friend someone.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
randolph7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:40:08 PM
At 9/27/2011 12:26:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:

By defend their position do you mean commit logical fallacies XP and horrible arguments?

Not sure what XP or XD means but...

When people are emotional they do tend to commit more logical fallacies and have bad arguments. But having people de-friend you for instance if you disagree with their opinion... I prefer discussions where people are instantly offended by a healthy debate. I guess that's why I like the debates here for the most part.
"ahh but i have indeed found the burdon of truth the, muffs have found it. oh mothy dear dear mothy"
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:32:02 AM
this site is definitely a better place for real debates. But that doesn't mean you should not give your disagreement at all.

usually they will not un-friend you, and if they do there no Facebook friend worth having (unless there neighbors with you in all the Facebook games you play that's different). they might delete your post though off of there comment, that's not a big deal.

Even if they don't appreciate your opinion, or make very good discussion at all with you on the topic (probably because there not as smart as you are), such short debate-ive conversations can cause them to need to go deeper about there thoughts on the subject, deeper than they are the used too, ever need too and thus they starve for it. Even if they do not fully realize it they will appreciate that you would go deeper with even if the difference of opinion on the surface makes them irate.

Just 2 things I try to avoid when doing this kind of thing on facebook

1) Dont go as long as you would feel free to here with it. sometimes on this site we let forum debates go on for months and the conversations bracket as we address point by point what the other person said, breaking apart there quote to answer it in sections. don't ever do that with facebook. say nothing more than just one point of interest you want to get across and do not dissect there statement to respond to it part by part. Just do one whole short response of just one selected issue you have with there stance and allow back and forth to carry on for just a few post, then let it go.

2) don't make the same person debate with you a lot. unless there the personality that belongs on this site, normal people react to constant little battles/debates like it was harassment. they shouldn't but people are weird. and if you are going to have repeat little debates with the same person try to spread out the occasions with a decent space cushion of time that's past since the last time you argued with them. and make sure no matter how large that time was that it filled with other communication between you two about silly frivolous social stuff. this way they cant feel your always debating with them, you just sometimes debate with them.

Also, if you really think you can risk venturing farther into a debative discussion with person on Facebook than just a few post back and forth, move the discussion to a private message between the two of you and quit posting on their public comment. they will not have to save any face if you do that, cause they will have the last word on there public comment. they were not looking to come under fire.

I think there are really a lot of silly things that could cause your conversation with a regular person on Facebook to hit the fans, but I think you can be careful to avoid those pitfalls if you try to by being a little empathetic. And I think if you do engage in a short debate with they will deep down recognize you have just showed a little respect to them by not just reading there post, rolling your eyes, and then ignoring it.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:37:39 AM
I've brought this up before. I tend to keep my mouth shut most of the time, because the vast majority of people I know are NOT like people from DDO who (a) enjoy debating these topics, or (b) can effectively debate their side. It usually turns out to be a huge waste of time, with them not taking anything substantial away from the discussion. Instead, most of them are usually butthurt by the fact that they were challenged at all. I think most people expect others on Facebook to just agree with them. If I do, I might say so, but I don't, I usually won't.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 11:47:39 AM
At 9/28/2011 12:32:02 AM, Marauder wrote:
this site is definitely a better place for real debates. But that doesn't mean you should not give your disagreement at all.

usually they will not un-friend you, and if they do there no Facebook friend worth having (unless there neighbors with you in all the Facebook games you play that's different). they might delete your post though off of there comment, that's not a big deal.

Maybe I'm weird or something, but I don't friend anyone on facebook that I don't know IRL (except for the very few DDO people I've friended).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 5:58:18 PM
At 9/27/2011 12:19:29 AM, darkkermit wrote:
So what do you guys do about political facebook posts? Do any of you try to start a debate, or realize that its not worth it because it will likely alienate you and you are unlikely to get a civil response?:

I rarely engage in political conversation on FB unless somebody says something really stupid or grossly inaccurate and I just have to interject.

I self-censor myself on FB because I grew up on the notion that it's impolite to discuss politics and religion at the dinner table. I've expanded that dinner table to include FB.

I look at some friends who don't censor themselves and it just looks tacky and obnoxious. I have no aspirations to be "that guy." So I reserve my hatred and scorn for you all because there is an expectation of sensationalistic topics... and because I hate you all (I say that with love, of course) :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 9:16:27 PM
Sigh. The coordinator for my chapter of Amnesty posted a status which explicitly stated that all Republicans are idiots.

Oh boy, was my de-friending finger itching. But, I resisted.

But, hey! What do you expect, being the only nonliberal member of Amnesty/ACLU at your school?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:59:04 PM
I've seen some pretty dumb statuses in my time.

This one takes the cake:

"on july 18th, Rachie *last Name* was walking through an alley when she saw a devious looking man at the end. She prayed to god to let her pass and she felt a sudden sense of security as she passed the man. Later that day she found out somebody had been raped in that same alley. When asked why he didnt rape Rachie, the man replied "I felt that something stopped me" Remember that god loves who love him and 93% of teenagers dont love god so remember that god loves you. I know 93 of you wont repost it but repost it.
"

Reply: So god only helps the people who pray to him? Is he that egocentric to say "Pray to me or be raped?".

Status's Reply: She didn't love god enough.

Best status ever was when someone posted "Repost this if your a strong, single, black woman, who doesnt need any men to pull her down."

The guy who reposted that was white, male. XD