Should I make a Facebook account?

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 2:29:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes or no?

I have managed to live without one till now. But is this sensible in this day and age?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 2:36:48 PM
Hi Indo,

It really depends on your lifestyle.

I think facebook is only good for college students who need to talk to each other about class & party arrangements.

or if you have a lot of friends that live far away.

otherwise, in my opinion, it seems to cheapen the quality of relationships.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 3:00:53 PM
At 9/27/2011 2:29:30 PM, Indophile wrote:
Yes or no?

I have managed to live without one till now. But is this sensible in this day and age?

If you don't make a facebook account how do you know who are your friends? Or even how many friends you have and how valid you are as a human being?

Seriously though it's a handy tool.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 3:21:25 PM
At 9/27/2011 2:36:48 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hi Indo,

I think facebook is only good for college students who need to talk to each other about class & party arrangements.

Hi Lick,

I was talking more in the sense of FB being more than just a "relationship" tool. This is basically a worldwide phenomenon and it's implications are huge. Is it sensible to be aloof and stay out of it, or is it better to embrace it?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 3:30:54 PM
At 9/27/2011 3:21:25 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 9/27/2011 2:36:48 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hi Indo,

Hi Lick,

I was talking more in the sense of FB being more than just a "relationship" tool. This is basically a worldwide phenomenon and it's implications are huge. Is it sensible to be aloof and stay out of it, or is it better to embrace it?

Well, what would be your reasoning for embracing it, other than its tools in relationships? Is it just to fit in, to be part of the crowd? Or do you have other reasoning? If its the former, then i would suggest to think about whether or not it goes against anything that you stand for. fitting in for the sake of it, and respectively giving up your own ideals to achieve that, is pretty pointless. But if your ideals align with what FB represents, or you don't care, then there's no harm in checking it out and seeing what its all about..
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 3:32:10 PM
Yes or no?

If you have to ask, you are not ready.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 3:58:23 PM
Yes or no?

i haz da saem qwestin

(see, I'm ready to become a Facebooker)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 4:34:28 PM
I resisted all social networks for years and years, but ultimately relented for one reason -- finding long, lost friends. I've found virtually all of them, but once the high from reconnecting with them wore off, it can be pretty lame.

It seems to cater to attention whores and/or really nosy people. So if you aren't completely self-absorbed or have nothing better to do than stalk people on the internet, perhaps it's best that you don't have one.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 4:42:03 PM
I've not allowed myself to make a social networking profile. I think that it has become too much of "look at me" and not about actual willingness to spend time with friends. Most people who can't stay off of Facebook are addicted to the constant responses from their friends. They want to see what kind of comments their pictures received, and so on.

I am fortunate not to have a wide range of friends, so I can keep in touch with most of them one way or another without being on Facebook. I think Facebook is a great idea, but I don't need it. I don't like the fact that most people seem to be self-obsessed on Facebook. And if I want to talk to a friend, I can do it on Skype or something similar. Facebook keeps you busy with too much. It wrecks communication and makes it harder for people to listen. Listening is more important than talking, in many cases. But people aren't good at that, and Facebook is making it worse I think.

But if you like showing a bit off, keeping in touch with many people, and just be updated on all the social peeks that go on, then sure make a FB account.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 6:06:57 PM
I feel like I would have a legitimate reason because I really don't have a way to keep in touch with my friends from school because my parents are Laestadian Lutheran and they have banned me from going to "unbeliever's" houses.

Laestadian Lutheranism really sucks if you happen to think and question your beliefs...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 8:23:08 PM
I'd say go for it. I use mine daily, but then again I have very few actual friends and little resemblance of a social life so I spend huge amounts of time debating and discussing various issues on FB.
Patzer24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 9:13:32 PM
I like the idea of Facebook, but you really need to be careful of what you post there.

Ore_Ele is probably correct in his assertion.

There are too many Facebook ads that I dislike strongly.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:21:12 PM
At 9/28/2011 9:13:32 PM, Patzer24 wrote:
I like the idea of Facebook, but you really need to be careful of what you post there.

Ore_Ele is probably correct in his assertion.

There are too many Facebook ads that I dislike strongly.

You know, if there's ads you don't like you're able to flag them so they won't come back.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:24:24 PM
Facebook is alright, except for some of their apps. There are apps that say "see who's viewing your profile" and stuff like that, but when you click on them, it makes you advertise their app, and the app does not launch. So, it automatically makes you say a message and put it on your wall, when you didn't actually type it. Its annoying, and embarrassing depending on what it makes you say.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 8:23:21 PM
I'm considering making one as a tool for communicating with people. I don't have the phone numbers of most of my friends, so if I'm working on a project with them, I need to get in contact. It would be the biggest help when I am working with multiple people at once on the same project and we all need to see what the other is saying.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 9:22:04 PM
I really think its a non-issue. It's a free service that you are in no way obligated to use. Why do you need help with this? Want us to pick out your clothes for tomorrow too?
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive