Jump to topic:

Degrees of separation IRL

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:48:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Who here are you closest to in real life by degrees of separation?

Although Nags doesn't come around much anymore, i would guess i am closest to him because he lives a couple towns over and his father is a cop in a nearby town, so there must be about 5 degrees of separation from him. I know a neighbor who has a son that's on a local police force who knows the cheif of that town's police force who probably then knows Nag's father who obviously knows his son.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:56:25 AM
At 9/29/2011 2:48:48 AM, innomen wrote:
Who here are you closest to in real life by degrees of separation?

Although Nags doesn't come around much anymore, i would guess i am closest to him because he lives a couple towns over and his father is a cop in a nearby town, so there must be about 5 degrees of separation from him. I know a neighbor who has a son that's on a local police force who knows the cheif of that town's police force who probably then knows Nag's father who obviously knows his son.

The five/six degrees of separation does seem to work, I can draw a route from myself to Osama Bin Laden (well ignoring the fact that he is dead). As for similar links here, nope no actual idea.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:00:52 PM
In terms of distance, kohai perhaps.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:32:02 PM
I live one town over from where Danielle goes to college :p
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 11:13:46 PM
One of the people I slammed into at either the Slayer/Rob Zombie concert or the Ministry concert probably slammed into Annhasle at some point.

As for actually knowing rather than slamming into... well f***, I'm antisocial. Probably still annhasle gonna be closest though, or maybe Yoni (no idea whatsoever with active members)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 11:39:05 PM
I'm in the same state that lasagna was in. He lived in the same county I was and Rhode Island is a small state. Innomen's brother actually lives in the same town as my college. My brother is in boston. I"m not too far away from OMGjustinbieber either.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:47:50 AM
At 9/29/2011 11:39:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I'm in the same state that lasagna was in. He lived in the same county I was and Rhode Island is a small state. Innomen's brother actually lives in the same town as my college. My brother is in boston. I"m not too far away from OMGjustinbieber either.

I wasn't aware Rhode Island had counties.

Anybody close to Green Bay? I know there's a coupld of Wisconsinites on here but I forget who...
Rob
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:54:28 AM
Probably anyone from Toronto area or Burlington area in Ontario. Come to think of it, I could probably find a connection between me and Cliff.Stamp if he were to ever come back. Apparently he is a professor on the East Coast (of Canada) and my dad did his PhD on the East Coast.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 12:26:25 PM
Wow DarkKermit you're right, Johnston is in Providence County. In all my time there I never heard anyone mention anything about counties. In Green Bay, we're always listing "Brown County" on forms and things.
Rob
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:56:33 PM
Hard to say... Being that I've lived on all four corners of the United States, and move to a new city (on average) every 2-3 years, I'm pretty close to many of the Americans who live near the ocean(s) (Pacific/Atlantic).

A few months ago, Innomen was my closest neighbor (and I regret not taking him out to lunch, but thems the brakes, I guess), but a few years ago OreEle was my closest neighbor as a fellow Portlander. Then Sieben was my closest neighbor (presumably still is) as he lives in the same city as me.

I would imagine I'm no more than 5 degrees of separation to most of you.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 7:15:48 PM
I don't know, probably 000ike. He lives in NJ. My brother is kinda sorta in here, but I'm ignoring that. I started thinking a month ago that it would be pretty cool if a lot of us got together to meet each other irl. The idea seems a little sketchy,though, because God only knows who created a fake personality on this site. Plus, a lot of people here are minors which would kind of defeat the purpose somewhat. I doubt many parents would allow their kid to go and meet a bunch of people that they only know online.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 9:08:47 PM
At 9/30/2011 11:47:50 AM, Lasagna wrote:
At 9/29/2011 11:39:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I wasn't aware Rhode Island had counties.

Anybody close to Green Bay? I know there's a coupld of Wisconsinites on here but I forget who...

I'm in Minnesota if that counts...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 9:20:43 PM
At 9/29/2011 11:19:31 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Thett3. We live in adjacent cities.

And let's not forget we were both in debate also! I bet almost every debater in our area could be linked with the 6 degrees thing.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:22:06 PM
Contradiction used to live in the same town as me and if I'm remembering correctly went to the same high school that my Dad got kicked out of as a teenager.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:36:48 PM
I don't even know what "degrees of separation" means (longitude?) but I am 3 HRs north of Chicago, which puts me in striking distance of Cosmic Alf and Askbob. I'm pretty sure Vi_Veri moved out East and isn't in Chicago anymore.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:37:54 PM
At 9/30/2011 7:15:48 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
a lot of people here are minors which would kind of defeat the purpose somewhat.

Well, what were you planning on doing with them when you met them? :[o
Rob
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:46:59 PM
I don't know, probably 000ike. He lives in NJ. My brother is kinda sorta in here, but I'm ignoring that. I started thinking a month ago that it would be pretty cool if a lot of us got together to meet each other irl. The idea seems a little sketchy,though, because God only knows who created a fake personality on this site. Plus, a lot of people here are minors which would kind of defeat the purpose somewhat. I doubt many parents would allow their kid to go and meet a bunch of people that they only know online.

I would be all for meeting up with some other select members if I weren't a minor, didn't live so far away from everyone, and wasn't such an @sshole to people in IRL.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 1:19:31 AM
At 9/30/2011 10:36:48 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I don't even know what "degrees of separation" means (longitude?)

Not even remotely.

If I know a person who knows you, but I don't know you, we have one degree of separation.

If I know a person who knows a person who knows you, but I don't know you, or person 2, and person 1 doesn't know you, we have two degrees of separation.

The number of "Persons" in that construction we go through-- by way of friendship or acquaintance or however the *** you want to count it, is the degrees of separation.

Incidentally my father is in Minnesota and most of my other relatives are in South Dakota, so there's an off chance you might be closer than Ann if slamming into random people doesn't count :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 6:31:22 AM
At 9/30/2011 6:58:24 PM, Mirza wrote:
Closest geographically is I-am-a-Panda...

?? Say what?

Unless you've left Denmark and/or Panda has left Ireland, you should probably take a fresh look at the map of Europe as there are quite a few of us English types here. Not that this was about geography as RRs post above explains.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 7:28:37 AM
At 9/29/2011 2:32:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
I live one town over from where Danielle goes to college :p

Yes, and my friend lives there and I hang out there all the time ;) I know Kleptin is from NYC, but there are well over 8 million people in this town so I'm not sure that counts for anything.

In terms of actually abiding by the 6 Degrees of Separation idea rather than geography, I'd say I am probably connected to InsertNameHere. Her ex-boyfriend went to Rutgers, so I'm sure I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows him. I actually think Maikuru might have gone to Rutgers too. In that case our circles are probably a lot closer, so possibly him. I also randomly discovered that one of my friends was on DDO but he was never active and hasn't used the site in years. I know some people IRL on this site too, like Vi_Veri. Duh.
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 11:55:49 AM
At 9/29/2011 11:22:17 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I'm like an hour away from Innomen.

I didn't really believe you were from Newton "Justin", but you did say you did understand what i was getting at with the Jewish mother stereotype, a Newton girl would get that.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 1:09:07 PM
At 10/1/2011 11:55:49 AM, innomen wrote:

I didn't really believe you were from Newton "Justin", but you did say you did understand what i was getting at with the Jewish mother stereotype, a Newton girl would get that.

The profile says Norton, but that's just where I'm at school. I was actually born in Newton, but I didn't live there for most of my childhood. I grew up in a town close to Newton and Dedham. You could certainly figure it out in a few guesses.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 2:44:34 PM
At 10/1/2011 1:09:07 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

The profile says Norton, but that's just where I'm at school. I was actually born in Newton, but I didn't live there for most of my childhood. I grew up in a town close to Newton and Dedham. You could certainly figure it out in a few guesses.

Brookline? That would explain everything.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 2:45:54 PM
At 10/1/2011 2:44:34 PM, innomen wrote:

Needham.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 2:47:53 PM
At 10/1/2011 2:45:54 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 10/1/2011 2:44:34 PM, innomen wrote:

Needham.

Similar. Rich kid, jewish town; i should talk i grew up in Lexington.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 8:58:15 PM
At 9/30/2011 10:37:54 PM, Lasagna wrote:
a lot of people here are minors which would kind of defeat the purpose somewhat.

Well, what were you planning on doing with them when you met them? :[o

Lol. I meant that parents probably wouldn't let them go.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena