Jump to topic:

Trips, Falls, Faceplants

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 2:42:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Let me shoot you the scene. I have this employee. He's obnoxious to say the least. I was just walking outside over to the other office, and I have the perfect view of the spectacle. He trips over the curb, twists his ankle up all crazy, and face-plants right into the side of a car. I could not help but bust out laughing at him. I then ask him if he's okay, and he starts holding onto his head and grunting. He then gets all pissed off about it and embarrassed. He wasn't hurt but he started making multiple excuses for why he fell.

So i ask you guys. Why so serious? I'm the first to laugh at myself if i fall (i do it all the time; i'm a klutz.) So why do people get so worked up and embarrassed about it? Would you be mad if someone laughed at you if you fell? Do you laugh at people when they fall, or do you immediately ask if they are okay? Do you consider it immature to laugh at someone, or do you find it immature when someone takes themselves so seriously?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 2:51:11 PM
I remember back in middle school, my math teacher had the only room with carpeting, and I fell on the carpeted area on my right knee--it hurt like hell (felt too painful for a carpet). Like, this pain was to the point of tears. And everybody laughed I got pissy. a big-@ss bruise formed too, which made them laugh more the next day.

Apparently, I honestly fvcked up my knee that day, because but a few months later, I started having problems with the kneecap dislocating several times. It wasn't the serious kind when it happened, it was like a pop-pop, out and back in kinda thing--still made me cry every time (that shiznit hurts!)

So, I specifically told people last year that that was what caused it--because I had chronic knee pain ever since that fall. And guess what--they still fvcking laughed.

I guess the moral of this story is that I try not to laugh unless they're laughing.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 2:54:18 PM
Um, i don't think i would particularly like it if someone laughed at me if i fell; I'd think they were an a-hole to be honest.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 2:55:09 PM
At 10/17/2011 2:54:18 PM, innomen wrote:
Um, i don't think i would particularly like it if someone laughed at me if i fell; I'd think they were an a-hole to be honest.

Pretty much made the point I was trying to make in one sentence.

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:00:31 PM
aww yeah DN, i know how you feel. i went skiing for the first time when i was about 12 and fractured my knee. I didn't laugh when it happened, i think i screamed for help, but I laughed about it later. (we were singing "lim bizkits" rolling on the way up the lift.) My knee is still messed up to this day too, because i never got a cast on it.

I don't think i would have taken it personal if someone laughed at me when it happened. I guess that's just my nature though.

Sometimes i don't laugh when they fall. If they look like they seriously got hurt, or it's someone thats old, it's not funny. But it's important to know when someone takes those types of things sensitively, because hurting a friends feelings isn't worth a little laughing.

This guy though. I dont like him. At all. He's a major d!ickwad. It brightened my day to see him fall. I'm not guilty about it. lol.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:02:27 PM

why? what about it is so serious? Do you just see it as an insensitive or immature thing? Is laughing so bad?
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:06:49 PM

i genuinely try to take other people into account, I certainly don't like hurting someones feelings or making them feel outcasted. but i just don't see why tripping should be taking personally. if someone gets butth*rt about it, doesn't it mean they are being rather insecure?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:08:46 PM
At 10/17/2011 3:02:27 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

why? what about it is so serious? Do you just see it as an insensitive or immature thing? Is laughing so bad?

If I laughed at my mother when she fell I'd be removed from her will.

Unless they are laughing first, you're just being an a-hole.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:09:45 PM
At 10/17/2011 2:42:45 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Let me shoot you the scene. I have this employee. He's obnoxious to say the least. I was just walking outside over to the other office, and I have the perfect view of the spectacle. He trips over the curb, twists his ankle up all crazy, and face-plants right into the side of a car. I could not help but bust out laughing at him. I then ask him if he's okay, and he starts holding onto his head and grunting. He then gets all pissed off about it and embarrassed. He wasn't hurt but he started making multiple excuses for why he fell.

Obviously, he is hurt. If I fell down and was in pain, I don't need someone else laughing at me to make it worse. I guess the phrase "adding insult to injury" is an appropriate one here.

So i ask you guys. Why so serious? I'm the first to laugh at myself if i fall (i do it all the time; i'm a klutz.) So why do people get so worked up and embarrassed about it? Would you be mad if someone laughed at you if you fell? Do you laugh at people when they fall, or do you immediately ask if they are okay? Do you consider it immature to laugh at someone, or do you find it immature when someone takes themselves so seriously?

DNinja is right about this one. If THEY are laughing, then they are obviously not hurt, so it is okay to laugh.

I fell down once when I was skateboarding because the wheels tripped over a twig and banged my head against the pavement. Luckily, no one saw it. I rushed to the health center on campus and they helped me out. Falling is not funny.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:23:39 PM
At 10/17/2011 3:09:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Obviously, he is hurt. If I fell down and was in pain, I don't need someone else laughing at me to make it worse. I guess the phrase "adding insult to injury" is an appropriate one here.

Well, he wasn't hurt, but you wouldn't know that unless you knew the guy.

Well, okay. i guess everyone seems to think its such a serious thing. No one's ever called me an @sshole before, but there's a first time for everything. Instead of making this post, I prob. should have just gone outside and let everyone point and laugh as i fell on my face.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:25:13 PM
At 10/17/2011 3:23:39 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

Well, okay. i guess everyone seems to think its such a serious thing. No one's ever called me an @sshole before, but there's a first time for everything. Instead of making this post, I prob. should have just gone outside and let everyone point and laugh as i fell on my face.

Or asked if he was okay.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:25:37 PM

Well, I guess you could look at it as comeuppance. You say he's a d!ckweed, so maybe that's why he fell.

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:28:50 PM
At 10/17/2011 3:25:13 PM, innomen wrote:

Or asked if he was okay.

i did ask if he was okay... should i supress my own laughter/ thoughts just to please someone? I've done that my whole life.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:39:36 PM
At 10/17/2011 3:28:50 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 10/17/2011 3:25:13 PM, innomen wrote:

Or asked if he was okay.

i did ask if he was okay... should i supress my own laughter/ thoughts just to please someone? I've done that my whole life.

Yeah, that's what adults do. You are free to be an a-hole though, it is a free country as far as that's concerned.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:45:31 PM
Lol, if I fall down or trip I always laugh it off pretty easily. At least, as long as i'm not in severe pain or anything.

Maybe the guy was having a rough day. If you're in a bad mood over something, and then trip like that, you'd understandably be mad.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 3:57:16 PM
At 10/17/2011 3:39:36 PM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, that's what adults do. You are free to be an a-hole though, it is a free country as far as that's concerned.

Ok. If you feel courtesy is reserved for adults, thats understandable. I don't have all the answers. I've been courteous for much of my life, and it hasn't garnered the best results. It's done nothing but suppress me for the most part. I'm still learning the "correct" times to "express" myself.

Funny how something so simple can turn into something much more complex once you talk about it with an outside source. Friends will usually support you even when you are in the wrong; but strangers are more honest. If only it was like this everywhere. I'd have a deeper understanding of why i do the things I do.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 4:14:31 PM
At 10/17/2011 3:57:16 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

Ok. If you feel courtesy is reserved for adults, thats understandable. I don't have all the answers. I've been courteous for much of my life, and it hasn't garnered the best results. It's done nothing but suppress me for the most part. I'm still learning the "correct" times to "express" myself.

Funny how something so simple can turn into something much more complex once you talk about it with an outside source. Friends will usually support you even when you are in the wrong; but strangers are more honest. If only it was like this everywhere. I'd have a deeper understanding of why i do the things I do.

I think there is some truth to that. I think some of those who responded to this post assumed that you wanted a bare-bones, straightforward answer about what they were thinking hence the general harsh response to this post. But, overall I guess it depends on the situation. I have no idea how bad your conflict was, but maybe you could have made a new friend with that person? In my experience, helping people who are jerks makes them be a lot nicer to you.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 4:16:00 PM

Social restraint is one of the hobgoblins of maturity.

It's funny, when you described the situation, i could only see it acceptable to laugh at someone was when i was a kid laughing at a brother or sister who fell, but that's when i was a kid. I can't imagine seeing my boss fall, and laugh at him - not a good career move, and if he laughed at me, not a good HR move.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 4:17:58 PM
At 10/17/2011 4:16:00 PM, innomen wrote:

Social restraint is one of the hobgoblins of maturity.

It's funny, when you described the situation, i could only see it acceptable to laugh at someone was when i was a kid laughing at a brother or sister who fell, but that's when i was a kid. I can't imagine seeing my boss fall, and laugh at him - not a good career move, and if he laughed at me, not a good HR move.

Wait, LDF, did you say he was your employee or your coworker?
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 4:23:24 PM
At 10/17/2011 4:17:58 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

i meant to say coworker. I have no interest in being his friend.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 4:33:16 PM
At 10/17/2011 4:23:24 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 10/17/2011 4:17:58 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

i meant to say coworker. I have no interest in being his friend.

I was going to say, If you were the boss then you can just laugh at his face and keep going. :p.

Like a boss.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 9:11:05 PM
At 10/17/2011 8:17:14 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Because guys obviously don't like being embarrassed in front of girls.

What more is there to ask?

Words from the voice of wisdom.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 9:12:13 PM
At 10/17/2011 9:11:05 PM, seraine wrote:

Damn, I was getting excited. I thought you said the Voice of London.

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 9:30:03 PM

Cant.....tell...if...sarcastic.....
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 10:21:01 PM

Teasing teasing.... always teasing!

Don't tease me bro!