Jump to topic:

Let me get back to you on that

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 6:57:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A while ago I broke myself of a bad habit. I never say "I don't know" anymore. A successful business man gave me that advice when I said it to a question he asked me. He used it to screen people who worked for him during interviews. He would ask seemingly unrelated questions he new interviewees would not know the answer to and if they said "I don't know" He would summarily end the interview and move on to the next candidate. He said people who say "I don't know" are not problem solvers and don't adapt well to changes.
He also said they pigeonhole themselves by not wanting "too know". They tended to be the atypical, "That's not my job I just work here" type of person. Pretty much useless.

My new habit to brake is to not use words like moronic, idiotic, insane, stupid, retarded and the like when discussing peoples ideas and view points. It makes you or I look contemptuous, belligerent, egocentric, condescending and the like. You or I have no more of an intellectual standing than the person who received the insults. You or I are actually less of an intellectual if we resort to such words.

I am going to say this every time I see it or it is said to me. You all should do the same. It is alot harder to find words to call something stupid without actually saying it. It will build character and vocabulary for sure. I tend not to say people are stupid but their ideas are. I am guilty of this in the Wall Street Protester demands. I really do think they are............... But rather than say that, I will make people defend them using their knowledge of capitalism and the free market system, if in fact that is what they want or do they want to eliminate it and replace it with the welfare state then the demands make perfect sense.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:00:54 PM
At 10/21/2011 6:57:22 PM, sadolite wrote:
A while ago I broke myself of a bad habit. I never say "I don't know" anymore. A successful business man gave me that advice when I said it to a question he asked me. He used it to screen people who worked for him during interviews. He would ask seemingly unrelated questions he new interviewees would not know the answer to and if they said "I don't know" He would summarily end the interview and move on to the next candidate. He said people who say "I don't know" are not problem solvers and don't adapt well to changes.
He also said they pigeonhole themselves by not wanting "too know". They tended to be the atypical, "That's not my job I just work here" type of person. Pretty much useless.

My new habit to brake is to not use words like moronic, idiotic, insane, stupid, retarded and the like when discussing peoples ideas and view points. It makes you or I look contemptuous, belligerent, egocentric, condescending and the like. You or I have no more of an intellectual standing than the person who received the insults. You or I are actually less of an intellectual if we resort to such words.

I am going to say this every time I see it or it is said to me. You all should do the same. It is alot harder to find words to call something stupid without actually saying it. It will build character and vocabulary for sure. I tend not to say people are stupid but their ideas are. I am guilty of this in the Wall Street Protester demands. I really do think they are............... But rather than say that, I will make people defend them using their knowledge of capitalism and the free market system, if in fact that is what they want or do they want to eliminate it and replace it with the welfare state then the demands make perfect sense.

So he would rather people lie to his face, then admit the truth.

The best problem solvers are those that stop to think about the question, realize they don't know, and proceed to find the answer. Not those that can bullsh!t their way through it.

I would take a guess that this guy revolves around sales, where bullshitting your customer is encouraged. Knowing that, I would never buy from him because you cannot trust his salespeople.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:03:48 PM
As for your actual goal of not wanting to insult, that is a very admirable goal, and can really help a lot of people out (if more people tried that).
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:08:06 PM
A while ago I broke myself of a bad habit. I never say "I don't know" anymore. A successful business man gave me that advice when I said it to a question he asked me. He used it to screen people who worked for him during interviews. He would ask seemingly unrelated questions he new interviewees would not know the answer to and if they said "I don't know" He would summarily end the interview and move on to the next candidate. He said people who say "I don't know" are not problem solvers and don't adapt well to changes.:

So, he'd rather people bullsh*t him? That's somehow better than being up front and giving an honest reply?

He also said they pigeonhole themselves by not wanting "too know".:

That's an incredibly ignorant way to look at it. Do you really believe that all people who say "I don't know" secretly don't want to know the answer? If I ask someone the name of the galaxy beyond ours, but they honestly didn't know, am I supposed to automatically assume that they don't actually want to know the answer?

My new habit to brake is to not use words like moronic, idiotic, insane, stupid, retarded and the like when discussing peoples ideas and view points. It makes you or I look contemptuous, belligerent, egocentric, condescending and the like.:

Your business friend sounds moronic and idiotic, which makes you insane, stupid, and retarded for falling for his pet theories and armchair psychology :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:11:06 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:00:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The best problem solvers are those that stop to think about the question, realize they don't know, and proceed to find the answer. Not those that can bullsh!t their way through it.

I would take a guess that this guy revolves around sales, where bullshitting your customer is encouraged. Knowing that, I would never buy from him because you cannot trust his salespeople.

NO, People who instinctively say I don't know are not likely to ever find the answer or bother to. I don't lie and give some made up answer. I will say let me get back to you or I need to do some research to give a more educated answer on the question or subject. Say anything without lying but don't ever say "I Don't know." That implies you are not the source to look to in the future for the answer.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:12:12 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:08:06 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
A while ago I broke myself of a bad habit. I never say "I don't know" anymore. A successful business man gave me that advice when I said it to a question he asked me. He used it to screen people who worked for him during interviews. He would ask seemingly unrelated questions he new interviewees would not know the answer to and if they said "I don't know" He would summarily end the interview and move on to the next candidate. He said people who say "I don't know" are not problem solvers and don't adapt well to changes.:

So, he'd rather people bullsh*t him? That's somehow better than being up front and giving an honest reply?

That's an incredibly ignorant way to look at it. Do you really believe that all people who say "I don't know" secretly don't want to know the answer? If I ask someone the name of the galaxy beyond ours, but they honestly didn't know, am I supposed to automatically assume that they don't actually want to know the answer?

My new habit to brake is to not use words like moronic, idiotic, insane, stupid, retarded and the like when discussing peoples ideas and view points. It makes you or I look contemptuous, belligerent, egocentric, condescending and the like.:

Your business friend sounds moronic and idiotic, which makes you insane, stupid, and retarded for falling for his pet theories and armchair psychology :)

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:17:06 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:11:06 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/21/2011 7:00:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

NO, People who instinctively say I don't know are not likely to ever find the answer or bother to. I don't lie and give some made up answer. I will say let me get back to you or I need to do some research to give a more educated answer on the question or subject. Say anything without lying but don't ever say "I Don't know." That implies you are not the source to look to in the future for the answer.

How do you do that in an interview? My HR manager and I (and a few other guys around the office) would talk baseball all the time (during the season) and I'd frequently say "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" then come back 5 minutes later after looking it up.

By the way, Andromeda is our nearest Galaxtic neighbor (I didn't actually need to look that one up though).
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:17:12 PM

He is succesful you are not. His theory works. You give a toiletry response. No intellectual value.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:20:45 PM
Though in general, saying things like "I'm not sure, let me look it up." are more positive statements that you can get an answer for someone, it is not really something that people would say in the middle of an interview for a job, since they are not at a position to gather info. I think the guy's general rule of thumb is on average true, but his testing method seems a little off.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:22:51 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:17:12 PM, sadolite wrote:

He is succesful you are not. His theory works. You give a toiletry response. No intellectual value.

His last line was a joke. He was craming in all the words you said not to use as a form of satire. While he generally disagrees with they guy, the insults were not said with conviction.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:25:16 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:20:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Though in general, saying things like "I'm not sure, let me look it up." are more positive statements that you can get an answer for someone, it is not really something that people would say in the middle of an interview for a job, since they are not at a position to gather info. I think the guy's general rule of thumb is on average true, but his testing method seems a little off.

I say "I don't know" to people I am trying to get rid of or no longer want to talk to or be associated with. Works every time.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:26:31 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:25:16 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/21/2011 7:20:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I say "I don't know" to people I am trying to get rid of or no longer want to talk to or be associated with. Works every time.

It likely has more to due with the tone and body language that goes with it, rather then the words themselves.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:27:29 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:22:51 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

His last line was a joke. He was craming in all the words you said not to use as a form of satire. While he generally disagrees with they guy, the insults were not said with conviction.

"I know" I was practicing on my rebutalls to insults.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:31:24 PM

What a vacuous retort! I see you're putting your mentor's teachings in action, when lost for words, BS a response.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 9:44:26 AM
At 10/21/2011 7:31:24 PM, 000ike wrote:

What a vacuous retort! I see you're putting your mentor's teachings in action, when lost for words, BS a response.

I am not lost for a response you just don't like it. I could contend that you have nothing intellegent to say so you say my response is BS to cover up your inability to coome up with anything worthy of intellectual value.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 9:03:15 PM
It's okay to say "I don't know", just so long as it isn't the end to a conversation. "I don't know, but I think that..." can lead to a better impression than a straight answer. It's more impressive to show that you're THINKING during an interview rather than possibly spitting out something you prepared beforehand.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 9:08:24 PM
And just to add on to that, its even more impressive if you can actually state where or how one could get an answer. "I don't know" doesn't have to mean "I don't know anything".
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 10:49:19 PM
There are "case interviews" where you can't answer "I don't know." Like the question: how many cars are there in NY City.

There are obviously many possible solutions, but one would include:

Look up the population of NY. Find the average number of cars owned in the US. However, we all know that New Yorkers are LESS likely to own a car, since they use public transportation or taxis (traffic in NY sucks). So we need to correct for this. One potential way to correct for this would be to look at chain stores, like Walmart, and compare the size of the parking lots in NY vs other metropolitan areas (since these chain stores often have complex formulas to decide how big their parking lots should be), then discount the average by the ratio of their NY parking lot to other parking lots.

Not a perfect solution, but it shows that you have analytic abilities.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 10:51:00 PM
Another good habit to get into is to stop "asking" for things. Rather than "can I have the burger and fries," tell the waitress "I'll have the burger and fries." Asking implies the person can say no and comes from a position of weakness.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 1:38:31 AM

This seems like a red herring meant to trap people and make them feel stupid.

"Item 1: Something ridiculous.
Item 2: Calling things ridiculous is immature."

However, he presented it in such a way that item one couldn't appear anything but ridiculous, whereas item two makes you question yourself for immediately jumping to that conclusion by using generally accepted principles.

"You or I are actually less of an intellectual if we resort to such words... I am going to say this every time I see it or it is said to me."

Cute, if I'm right, you pretty much got everyone.

"Break."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:33:42 PM
At 10/24/2011 1:38:31 AM, Ren wrote:

This seems like a red herring meant to trap people and make them feel stupid.

"Item 1: Something ridiculous.
Item 2: Calling things ridiculous is immature."

However, he presented it in such a way that item one couldn't appear anything but ridiculous, whereas item two makes you question yourself for immediately jumping to that conclusion by using generally accepted principles.

"You or I are actually less of an intellectual if we resort to such words... I am going to say this every time I see it or it is said to me."

Cute, if I'm right, you pretty much got everyone.

"Break."

It is a trap, it's a test to see if someone is a go getter or I just want a job don't bother me with details.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:52:47 AM
At 10/23/2011 10:51:00 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Another good habit to get into is to stop "asking" for things. Rather than "can I have the burger and fries," tell the waitress "I'll have the burger and fries." Asking implies the person can say no and comes from a position of weakness.

It's not weak. The person can say no. The server and/or owner can refuse to serve you, even if you're a paying customer. That's their prerogative.

There are a lot of tips on how to ace or blow interviews. I'm not really worried about it. If someone doesn't hire me because I say "I don't know" to a retarded question, that's their prerogative. I think that's a really dumb indicator of someone's qualifications or work ethic, but of course they're free to employ any strategy in the interview process they see fit regardless of how retarded it seems to me.

I also think it's ridiculously arrogant for sadolite to say, "He is successful and you are not." First he doesn't know anything about PL's personal life or circumstances -- he could be more well off than that boss for example. Second there are various measures of success, and they're not always monetary. People on this website always seem to forget that.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:54:40 AM
Also, if I asked someone something on an interview and they said, "Let me get back to you on that," I would never ever in a million years actually expect them to get back to me - so this is a clear interview tactic and ploy you can learn from reading a book called something like "How to Nail an Interview," but it's not actually indicative of anything in the real world. I'd rather find other qualifying measures during the screening process and then fire someone for not being a go-getter, rather than assuming they're not based on some ridiculously frivolous question.
President of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 10:24:03 AM
At 10/30/2011 9:54:40 AM, Danielle wrote:
Also, if I asked someone something on an interview and they said, "Let me get back to you on that," I would never ever in a million years actually expect them to get back to me - so this is a clear interview tactic and ploy you can learn from reading a book called something like "How to Nail an Interview," but it's not actually indicative of anything in the real world. I'd rather find other qualifying measures during the screening process and then fire someone for not being a go-getter, rather than assuming they're not based on some ridiculously frivolous question.

I've always found books on trying to improve your interview skills and resume weird. The whole purpose of the interview and resume is to signal to employers that your qualified, but the purpose of these books is to make your "signal" seem more powerful, without actually changing whether your qualified or not.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 12:29:39 PM
If it's a measure of confidence you're trying to portray, you can easily accomplish that without coming off as someone that isn't capable of saying 'I don't know'. It depends on the question, and saying 'yeah, I don't know the answer to that question' is a normal and natural response. I wouldn't want to hire someone that's putting on an act (which is what you're suggesting), and cannot communicate in a natural and truthful way.

I also don't know of any successful people that follow any of those professional self improvement models; either you have what it takes or you don't, and aping someone else's behavior, particularly a grown man, just doesn't work.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 12:47:06 PM
At 10/30/2011 12:33:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I'm sympathetic to the OP. From now on, the more unsure I am about a topic the greater confidence I'm going to project.

Well it works for our political leaders and they do a good job.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 12:52:58 PM
At 10/30/2011 12:47:06 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I'm sympathetic to the OP. From now on, the more unsure I am about a topic the greater confidence I'm going to project.

It works particularly well for herman cain. "U-becky-becky-stan"....and "apples and oranges" lol
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 4:38:45 PM
At 10/30/2011 12:52:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/30/2011 12:47:06 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It works particularly well for herman cain. "U-becky-becky-stan"....and "apples and oranges" lol

Shouldn't that be, Whose-Becky-Stan?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 4:39:13 PM
Ooze becky stan?