First debate meet!

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 7:39:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hullo, DDO.

So, I finally participated in my first live debate tournament! Last year there were conflicts which didn't allow me to do really any extraciriculars, but this year it's all cleared up. Anyway, as a novice:

I was 1N. We ran the India Relations DA, as well as an on case tailored to Aff's. For it being my very first debate tournament, as well as speech tourney of that nature (I participate in Forensics, more creative speaking, not really of that genre, so to speak), I think I did very well:

I went 2 and 1, 2W, 1L. No leg to state :(
Aaand, I was very close to getting a speaker award.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 8:08:04 PM
At 10/22/2011 8:07:33 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
What style of debate?

Policy.

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 12:55:54 AM
At 10/22/2011 8:08:04 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
What style of debate?

Policy.
That's where you babble endlessly?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 1:39:03 AM
At 10/23/2011 12:55:54 AM, Mirza wrote:
What style of debate?

Policy.

No, its where you talk about how the nontopical CP turns the kritikal aff by perming the inherency and the Foucault card, thus re-turning the Dehumanization DA by dropping Mag and Prob on the impact calc.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 1:53:30 AM
At 10/23/2011 1:39:03 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
What style of debate?

Policy.

No, its where you talk about how the nontopical CP turns the kritikal aff by perming the inherency and the Foucault card, thus re-turning the Dehumanization DA by dropping Mag and Prob on the impact calc.

*shoots self*
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 9:01:06 PM
At 10/23/2011 1:39:03 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
What style of debate?

Policy.

Don't forget mentioning about the non-uniqueness of the plan as evidenced by the Wilkerson card, and turning a CX answer to prove the India Relations DA even more correct.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:07:50 AM
What style of debate?

Policy.

Yes Mirza, that's the event you're thinking of... it's basically who can make the other team look like a bigger @$$hole. and who can prove that the other team's plan will have a higher death toll. :D
No offense DetectableNinja, I'm glad you like it, but you should try an event that you're actually going to use later in life... try Congress or PFD. Or anything else really.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:09:26 AM
Oh, and give me a shout if you're ever at a meet in Texas.

I've got one this weekend and one next weekend. I'm excited!!

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 4:10:21 PM
At 10/24/2011 11:07:50 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
What style of debate?

Policy.

Yes Mirza, that's the event you're thinking of... it's basically who can make the other team look like a bigger @$$hole. and who can prove that the other team's plan will have a higher death toll. :D
No offense DetectableNinja, I'm glad you like it, but you should try an event that you're actually going to use later in life... try Congress or PFD. Or anything else really.

Yes, devinni, I plan on doing Congress. However:
1) Novices can only do Policy during debate season, and
2) Congress doesn't start until FORENSICS season in January.

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 1:19:15 PM
Congress is lame.

Smart people should do policy and extemp.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:18:10 AM
At 10/25/2011 1:19:15 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Congress is lame.

Smart people should do policy and extemp.

Erm... congress is the only event where you can straight up insult people without actually doing so. I like it.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:20:44 AM
At 10/24/2011 4:10:21 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 10/24/2011 11:07:50 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
What style of debate?

Policy.

Yes, devinni, I plan on doing Congress. However:
1) Novices can only do Policy during debate season, and
2) Congress doesn't start until FORENSICS season in January.

So your school does it right, then? In Texas we do Congress year-round, because we're special like that. I'm about to go destroy people tomorrow (if I can get my voice back by then.)

Best of luck to you!! :D

Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 9:52:31 PM
Wow... lots of irrational hatred of Policy in this thread. It's clearly the best type of debate. Most people hate it because they don't understand it (as I could pick out things that just weren't true in all of your anti-policy posts).

PFD, on the other hand, is a complete joke. While policy encourages students to challenge their deepest assumptions of the world, PFD forces students to conform to the views of the common world and ultimately portray their arguments in a way that a "lay" judge could understand. That's great and all, but real intellectual thought... and I mean REAL intellectual thought, is beyond the understanding of "lay" judges.

Also, while policy debate's infamous nuke war and extinction scenarios can get out of hand, there is no doubt that policy debaters learn the mechanics of the world better than any other type of debater. While econ collapse = nuke war isn't necessarily relevant tot he world, the link between the plan (for example) and the economic implications are extremely helpful.

But hey... you keep enjoying your debates on wikileaks and the NBA dresscode.

(OP: Keep at it. I'm an actual debate coach who has debated and taught each debate format so I would know better than most... In other words, prefer my evidence on the impact comparison).
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 9:51:22 AM
At 10/31/2011 9:52:31 PM, Johnicle wrote:
Wow... lots of irrational hatred of Policy in this thread. It's clearly the best type of debate. Most people hate it because they don't understand it (as I could pick out things that just weren't true in all of your anti-policy posts).

PFD, on the other hand, is a complete joke. While policy encourages students to challenge their deepest assumptions of the world, PFD forces students to conform to the views of the common world and ultimately portray their arguments in a way that a "lay" judge could understand. That's great and all, but real intellectual thought... and I mean REAL intellectual thought, is beyond the understanding of "lay" judges.

Also, while policy debate's infamous nuke war and extinction scenarios can get out of hand, there is no doubt that policy debaters learn the mechanics of the world better than any other type of debater. While econ collapse = nuke war isn't necessarily relevant tot he world, the link between the plan (for example) and the economic implications are extremely helpful.

(OP: Keep at it. I'm an actual debate coach who has debated and taught each debate format so I would know better than most... In other words, prefer my evidence on the impact comparison).

It's cool that you like policy, but honestly, unless you get a college scholarship for it, where are you going to use spreading in the real world?
Also the cx-ers at my school are complete d0uche canoes.

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 10:00:27 AM
At 10/31/2011 9:52:31 PM, Johnicle wrote:

But really, what does a debater get from talking about the link between completely normal topics and nuclear war and extinction at a rapid pace that nobody can understand besides themselves and some specialized judges? Is there really any benefit to making debate a matter of who can speak faster as opposed to who can be more convincing?
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:06:08 AM
At 11/1/2011 10:00:27 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

But really, what does a debater get from talking about the link between completely normal topics and nuclear war and extinction at a rapid pace that nobody can understand besides themselves and some specialized judges? Is there really any benefit to making debate a matter of who can speak faster as opposed to who can be more convincing?

Not too much. It's fun for them I guess, or they wouldn't do it, but as far as actual intellectual debate, I would think that the speed reduces the actual value of the arguments.

Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 8:52:03 PM
Wow... not true at all! I would concede that it is less educated to those who don't understand it but the people who do participate know what's going on... and that environment is one of the most educational environments possible. Policy debaters become some of the most well-versed students on cause and effect. And just because the impacts are out there don't mean they aren't worth talking about.
GWindeknecht1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 8:55:22 PM
This is my third year in Speech and Debate. I remember my first tournament, Iowa Fall State haha. That was fun. I got owned, but thats ok. Because I came back the next year and destroyed everyone else. (Iowa Fall State Champion).
I do Congress primarily, though in my free tournaments (non-ToC bids) I do Extemp or Public Forum.
Never done Policy, because it has almost no relation to real world activities. Like really, how many times are you going to be spreading in a business meeting? Yeah, none. It's ridiculous. But I'll respect the research/argumentative aspects of it.