Jump to topic:

Face book

blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 5:21:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just made one. Anyone who doesn't have one, trust me, you're not missing out.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 5:24:30 PM
At 10/25/2011 5:21:12 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

If you just made it, you probably haven't realised how useful it is yet.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 7:11:20 PM
Why? I got a facebook and didn't regret it. I mainly used it to chat with friends and used it basically as a substitute for the telephone.
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:21:31 PM
Facebook sells all of your information to government intelligence; it is not a moral business and infringes your personal privacy...

Plus the creator of the site (Mark Zuckerberg) had social problems. This being said; the whole business of the site revolves around mainstream social media and social hierarchy. I do not particularly agree with Mark's ideas and business philosophies, and I find it greedy that he does not allow others to by into his company...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:23:47 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:21:31 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Facebook sells all of your information to government intelligence; it is not a moral business and infringes your personal privacy...

Plus the creator of the site (Mark Zuckerberg) had social problems. This being said; the whole business of the site revolves around mainstream social media and social hierarchy. I do not particularly agree with Mark's ideas and business philosophies, and I find it greedy that he does not allow others to by into his company...

Solution: Don't put anything you don't want the whole world to know on your Facebook.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:31:46 PM
Face book? What is this hogwash you speak of?

I know what facebook is...but face book?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:38:25 PM
At 10/26/2011 7:11:20 PM, seraine wrote:
Why? I got a facebook and didn't regret it. I mainly used it to chat with friends and used it basically as a substitute for the telephone.

Wait, you were serious about this, right?
I suppose typing a few messages is better than hearing the actual voices of friends or families at time...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 10:58:38 PM

The whole "status" bullsht pisses me off. I DONT CARE WHAT TYPE OF SANDWHICH YOU ATE TODAY. Sure, the chat is fine. Again, it will never substitute having a face to face conversation.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 11:38:06 PM
At 10/26/2011 10:58:38 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

The whole "status" bullsht pisses me off. I DONT CARE WHAT TYPE OF SANDWHICH YOU ATE TODAY. Sure, the chat is fine. Again, it will never substitute having a face to face conversation.

I don't know why I need an email telling me that someone liked my profile picture but apparently I do.

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:46:35 AM

I agree. Facebook sucks.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:22:33 AM
I like Facebook, but I spend too much time on it, because people start talking to me.

And you can disable the emails in your settings.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:42:33 AM
Facebook helps me transit the relationships to the next level. Sure, if you are in school and you know all the people around you, Facebook doesn't help you much, except maybe show off your cool Ness and all. But now, specially after making new friends, chatting and all eases the first impression a bit. Then actually being together is a lot more fun.

Ironically, being away from Facebook has made me realise this.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:45:13 AM
At 10/27/2011 11:42:33 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Facebook helps me transit the relationships to the next level. Sure, if you are in school and you know all the people around you, Facebook doesn't help you much, except maybe show off your cool Ness and all. But now, specially after making new friends, chatting and all eases the first impression a bit. Then actually being together is a lot more fun.

Also, it helps a lot in keeping contact with people you dont interact with often.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:59:11 AM
The idea of Facebook is fine, but I think it has become a huge bubble of self-interest and need for attention. I think Facebook actually weakens our communication skills rather than strengthening them. Pay attention to how most people on Facebook speak but do not listen much. That's sign of weak communication. Listening is a very important part of communication.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 2:04:04 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:21:31 PM, Mikeee wrote:

I've not given them anything I would not freely share, I don't really understand how someone can post "imma eatin sum chiken" and then in the next breath say "omg... evy1 noes i em eatin chkin... mah privacee has been breeeched!".

He is geek trying to make money... terrible.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 2:21:10 PM
At 10/27/2011 11:59:11 AM, Mirza wrote:
The idea of Facebook is fine, but I think it has become a huge bubble of self-interest and need for attention. I think Facebook actually weakens our communication skills rather than strengthening them.

yes

Pay attention to how most people on Facebook speak but do not listen much. That's sign of weak communication. Listening is a very important part of communication.

ahem, like DDO?
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 3:12:50 PM
At 10/27/2011 11:42:33 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Not if they're not on Facebook.

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 3:23:29 PM
At 10/27/2011 2:21:10 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
Pay attention to how most people on Facebook speak but do not listen much. That's sign of weak communication. Listening is a very important part of communication.

ahem, like DDO?
The purpose of Facebook and DDO are quite different. I agree that people on DDO are not free from arrogance and attention-seeking whatsoever. But that is not a DDO trend. There is much else here other than personal babble and images.

But most people are not very good at listening, in my opinion. That is a horrible thing. I loathe being around a person who keeps rambling on, and when you speak he interrupts you and keeps rambling on.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 3:32:16 PM
At 10/27/2011 3:23:29 PM, Mirza wrote:

ahem, like DDO?
The purpose of Facebook and DDO are quite different. I agree that people on DDO are not free from arrogance and attention-seeking whatsoever. But that is not a DDO trend. There is much else here other than personal babble and images.

But most people are not very good at listening, in my opinion. That is a horrible thing. I loathe being around a person who keeps rambling on, and when you speak he interrupts you and keeps rambling on.

I agree.

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 7:29:52 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:38:25 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Wait, you were serious about this, right?
I suppose typing a few messages is better than hearing the actual voices of friends or families at time...

It's probably a bit different for me though, since I have almost no time for any sort of conversation with friends due to family issues. My mom thinks I should be hanging out with a different group of people even though all of my friends are in Gifted and Talented and straight A students. She thinks I should hang out with other Laestadian Lutherans, so I don't really have a lot of time to chat.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 8:27:25 PM
Internet nerds make such a big deal out of Facebook. It's just a website. Just like this one. Sorry its not all "we r legion lol boxxy is queen"
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:42:31 PM
At 10/27/2011 8:27:25 PM, MarquisX wrote:
Internet nerds make such a big deal out of Facebook. It's just a website. Just like this one. Sorry its not all "we r legion lol boxxy is queen"
Rant. It's not "yet another" website on the web. It is one of the most used and influential websites on the Internet. There is good reason to discuss its effects.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 4:18:46 PM
At 10/27/2011 3:23:29 PM, Mirza wrote:

ahem, like DDO?

You said it brother.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 8:30:59 AM
DDO is for people who wish to have intelligent conversation, which is a very small component of facebook.

It's really hard to discuss the overall positivity/negativity of facebook at this time. It is a good way to stay in touch with people who you wouldn't otherwise still remain in contact with. I have friends and family in several states that I could not otherwise keep up with. However, it's a huge waste of time.

The underlying problem isn't facebook, it is our individualistic culture. Facebook is the sigh of the individualist; reaching out, seeking for a community that just doesn't exist in reality. I live in a suburban neighborhood where I don't know any of my neighbors. I don't share resources with them, I don't speak to them, I don't help them out with anything... they use money for these things. Money forces us to respond greedily to most situations, because we must protect our vested interests. Our houses are spaced widely, fenced in, and we usually drive into our lots and enter through the backway with little personal interaction.

Instead of going to work every day with people we don't like, producing goods that are neither beneficial to society nor fulfilling to actually produce, and then coming home to neighborhoods full of people we neither know nor wish to know (since we are arranged simply on our ability to buy property), we could be working within our communities most days helping each other and producing in a positive way. Building, gardening/farming, and other community activities could replace our need for working at menial-labor jobs (e.g., McDonald's, insurance company, sales) and reduce our need for social networking.
Rob
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 11:46:07 AM
I just made one. Anyone who doesn't have one, trust me, you're not missing out.:

It gets old fast... and there will be many of your "friends" who annoy the crap out of you. BUT, I do like it in terms of keeping in touch with old friends (real friends, no acquaintences).
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 5:11:53 PM
At 10/29/2011 11:46:07 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I just made one. Anyone who doesn't have one, trust me, you're not missing out.:

It gets old fast... and there will be many of your "friends" who annoy the crap out of you. BUT, I do like it in terms of keeping in touch with old friends (real friends, no acquaintences).

I only send/accept requests to/from people that I'm actually friends with.