Jump to topic:

Persuasive speech

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 3:37:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hey, I have to do a persuasive speech for an organization I'm a part of (non-profit organization that teaches leadership & public speaking).

I'm thinking about doing it on abolishing the minimum wage. I don't exactly want to do an exactly controversial topic (a lot of them are middle age, retirees, and I live in a liberal state). Do you think this is an appropriate topic?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 3:46:16 PM
I do persuasive speeches for a living, and it's much different than debate. It's less about logic and evidence more about hyperbole and passion. You need to know your audience too, that's really key, and know how to appeal to them. I dunno that i would take that subject, but i don't know what you have to choose from.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 3:49:43 PM
I would actually seriously avoid abolishing the minimum wage. I don't think it's even been a serious political consideration, and you're likely to offend a good amount of people even though that's not your intentions. Plus, under conservative presidents who don't continually boost it the minimum wage just becomes much less of a factor under inflation. It's an emotional issue and not an idea that's really "on the table."
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 3:52:28 PM
choose a slightly less "political topic" would be my advice

for example: organ donation

discuss possible proposals to increase donations (presumed consent, driver's license/registration, the Spanish model, financial incentives)

cite some stats on how badly organs are needed and how these are easily avoidable deaths

talk about a little kid who died for need of a transplant.

or not that specifically, but something that is more of a bipartisan or non-partisan issue.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 3:54:16 PM
The other problem you hit darkkermit with a speech like that is that the average person doesn't understand economics well enough to be persuaded. The listener needs enough foundational knowledge to get why your speech is "persuasive."
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 3:57:06 PM
At 11/27/2011 3:46:16 PM, innomen wrote:
I do persuasive speeches for a living, and it's much different than debate. It's less about logic and evidence more about hyperbole and passion. You need to know your audience too, that's really key, and know how to appeal to them. I dunno that i would take that subject, but i don't know what you have to choose from.

I can choose my own topic. It just needs to be persuasive. Sine I'm libertarian-moderate, my political beliefs are almost against state-control and quite controversial.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 3:59:38 PM
At 11/27/2011 3:54:16 PM, bluesteel wrote:
The other problem you hit darkkermit with a speech like that is that the average person doesn't understand economics well enough to be persuaded. The listener needs enough foundational knowledge to get why your speech is "persuasive."

John Stossel and Milton Friedman have both done speeches against the minimum wage that appeal to the common person.

But isn't selling organs also a controversial position as well? Olbermann called Stossel the "worst person in the world" for that position.
Open borders debate:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 4:03:02 PM
Something like AIDS funding in Africa, or if you want something more libertarian, you could even do the balanced budget amendment and keep it persuasive.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 4:03:09 PM
At 11/27/2011 3:59:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:

John Stossel and Milton Friedman have both done speeches against the minimum wage that appeal to the common person.

But isn't selling organs also a controversial position as well? Olbermann called Stossel the "worst person in the world" for that position.

Legalizing organ sales would be preferable to abolishing the mw. Maybe you could lecture them on drug legalization, I think that would be really funny for a middle aged audience but it would take some balls. We should think of more topics for you. I do agree with innomen to focus on emotion and hyperbole in these speeches.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 4:18:27 PM
At 11/27/2011 4:03:09 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 11/27/2011 3:59:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Legalizing organ sales would be preferable to abolishing the mw. Maybe you could lecture them on drug legalization, I think that would be really funny for a middle aged audience but it would take some balls. We should think of more topics for you. I do agree with innomen to focus on emotion and hyperbole in these speeches.

Legalizing organ sales is kind of boring in my opinion. Yep drug legalization would be great: "A misconception is that drug usage leads to a life of crime and moral decay. However I've done illegal drugs before and nothing bad has happened."
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 4:25:21 PM
At 11/27/2011 4:03:02 PM, innomen wrote:
Something like AIDS funding in Africa, or if you want something more libertarian, you could even do the balanced budget amendment and keep it persuasive.

I'm not necessarily in favor of a balanced budget amendment though since you can still raise taxes and balance the budget.
Open borders debate:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 4:34:27 PM
At 11/27/2011 4:25:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/27/2011 4:03:02 PM, innomen wrote:

I'm not necessarily in favor of a balanced budget amendment though since you can still raise taxes and balance the budget.

Do something on education, I think they're all sort of fed up with it in R.I. right now.