Jump to topic:

Choosing a US History paper topic

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 9:16:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, I have to write a 3-5 page paper on any aspect of US history up to 1870 (any thesis I want).

I only ask for advice because American history THAT early doesn't particularly grab my interest THAT much (save for the Civil War), and at this point no thesis comes to mind.

Any advice?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 11:49:38 PM
Do it on monetary history. Your history teacher will think you're weird but you'll likely get an A if you do a half way decent job.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 6:23:29 AM
At 11/29/2011 11:49:38 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Do it on monetary history. Your history teacher will think you're weird but you'll likely get an A if you do a half way decent job.

Are you kidding me, that's such an awesome topic!
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
LeoL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 10:11:48 PM
war of 1812
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 10:28:57 PM
At 11/30/2011 6:23:29 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Agreed. Too few papers written about the Continental.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 10:48:32 PM
At 12/1/2011 10:28:57 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 11/30/2011 6:23:29 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Agreed. Too few papers written about the Continental.

I recommend this. I just wrote a paper for economics about the federal reserve and how it should be ended. Here's a great source: http://mises.org...
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 5:24:07 PM
Art patterns across early US history? Industrialization of America and its effects? Globalization and United State's status as a superpower? &ct.

These are a few topics that I would certainly like to research...perhaps a paper on topics such as the silent film industry of the 1920s, its contributions to the talkies and cinema of later decades? the sexual revolution in America? modern environmentalism?

Sorry, but these are a few topics off the top of my head that I could think of....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 9:04:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
UPDATE: I decided to go the route of something that I've always wanted to try to do.

By the by, this had to be a persuasive paper, w/ a thesis.

Anyway: my thesis was that Abraham Lincoln's presidency was tyrannical.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 9:11:54 PM
At 12/13/2011 9:04:10 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
UPDATE: I decided to go the route of something that I've always wanted to try to do.

By the by, this had to be a persuasive paper, w/ a thesis.

Anyway: my thesis was that Abraham Lincoln's presidency was tyrannical.

Oh, geez.

Well, Godspeed!

If I would have gotten to this sooner, I would have recommended that you write a paper with the position that political parties were created with financial interests en lieu social ones (as in, pertaining to society), and the majority of our founding fathers, particularly George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, completely opposed them.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 9:50:12 PM
Salem Witch Trials

In 1840, in a border dispute with Canda, American lumberjacks living in Maine crossed the border and skirmished with Canadian milita and lumberjacks.

The Whiskey Rebellion was an insurrection in 1794 by settlers in the Monongahela Valley in western Pennsylvania who fought against a federal tax on liquor and distilled drinks.

Coxey's Army was a group of unemployed American workers, led by the populist reformer Jacob Coxey, who marched on Washington D.C. in 1894, the second year of a four-year economic depression that was the worst in United States history to that time. Officially named the Commonwealth of Christ, its nickname came from its leader and was more enduring. It was the first significant popular protest in Washington D.C. in U.S. history, and the expression "Enough food to feed Coxey's Army" originates from this march.

The Pig War: On June 15, 1859, an American settler on what today is San Juan Island shot and killed a pig that was eating his potatoes. Unfortunately, the pig belonged to Great Britain's Hudson's Bay Co., and an international incident began. Since the United States and Great Britain were already in heated discussions about poorly defined U.S.-Canadian boundary lines through the San Juan Islands, tensions quickly escalated. By August, 461 American forces faced off against 2,140 British forces in a standoff. In the end, tempers cooled and a permanent boundary between Canada and the United States was established in 1871. The only casualty of the Pig War was the pig. Today, the incident is commemorated at San Juan Island National Historic Park.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:42:44 AM
I know you've already chosen, but a pet topic of mine is Benedict Arnold, and how history gave him a raw deal. He was a great man, and a huge hero for the cause, and his decision making was patriotic.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 5:49:55 AM
Wow and I complain about my 2 page timed writing in Ap language and composition...

Try the drastic effect of the Indian removal and how it affected the Indians in political, economic, and social/cultural way. You can also extend it to what effect it has on our current relationship with today's Indian society.