Jump to topic:

FUUUUUDGE nac

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 5:32:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So my mother is away for the weekend and I'm about to head out in her car. As I'm backing out, I'm putting a CD into the player. Let's just say "hypothetically" one of her side view mirrors is totaled.

Should I

A) pretend I parked somewhere and came back and found her car like this.
B) pay to have it fixed by tomorrow. (Seems unlikely I could find a mechanic Sunday morning)
C) tell the truth and possibly be banned from ever touching her car again.

Please say "A"...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 5:51:18 PM
well you already know what the right thing to do is. :P

Tell her the truth. You offer to get it fixed for her, and maybe call the dealership, (try looking in the glovebox if you don't know) or call around to a couple of shops. This shows that you took the initiative to fix the problem on your own. This will make her more at ease about it & more apt to trust you to drive it in the future.

I work at a car dealership. If they charge you more than 200 bucks for this job, you are getting a HUGE ripoff. Honestly, it should probably cost you less than a hundred at the right place, depending on how bad the damage is. If she bought the car from the original dealer, that's probably the best place to get it fixed.

Make sure to get an Estimate UP FRONT and be ready to argue with them if they jack the price up.

The more you have done by the time she comes back, the happier she will be. Tell her that you will drive the car to the appointment. There you go, she's already trusting you to drive it again because you are going to fix it for her. A huge step in the right direction.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 5:54:27 PM
I would lie, unless of coarse it was parked in the garage.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 6:01:02 PM
At 12/3/2011 5:51:18 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
well you already know what the right thing to do is. :P

Tell her the truth. You offer to get it fixed for her, and maybe call the dealership, (try looking in the glovebox if you don't know) or call around to a couple of shops. This shows that you took the initiative to fix the problem on your own. This will make her more at ease about it & more apt to trust you to drive it in the future.

I work at a car dealership. If they charge you more than 200 bucks for this job, you are getting a HUGE ripoff. Honestly, it should probably cost you less than a hundred at the right place, depending on how bad the damage is. If she bought the car from the original dealer, that's probably the best place to get it fixed.

Make sure to get an Estimate UP FRONT and be ready to argue with them if they jack the price up.

The more you have done by the time she comes back, the happier she will be. Tell her that you will drive the car to the appointment. There you go, she's already trusting you to drive it again because you are going to fix it for her. A huge step in the right direction.

That might uncomfortable. I don't mean just saying "hey mom i'm driving it to the appointment" But tell her not to worry, you will take care of it, it's your fault so you want to be responsible about it. You will make the arrangements & go get it fixed so that she does not have to stress or worry over it.

Sure its more work and it's easier to do the kid thing and let her handle it, but this is how you will get her to trust you driving it again.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 6:04:59 PM
I am a parent of a teenager, and I do not allow my son to use my things without being comfortable with the fact that he is young, clumsy, and new to the world.
I would be alot more upset if he wasted all the opportunities I give him to learn about life by trying to take shortcuts and lying.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 12:32:17 AM
I went with your suggestions and told her. She took it surprisingly well. Unfortunately I'm in the hole however much fixing it is gonna cost :( but that'll teach me to not fiddle with the stereo while backing out of my garage. Sigh.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 1:08:17 AM
At 12/5/2011 12:32:17 AM, nonentity wrote:
I went with your suggestions and told her. She took it surprisingly well. Unfortunately I'm in the hole however much fixing it is gonna cost :( but that'll teach me to not fiddle with the stereo while backing out of my garage. Sigh.

Lol, that sucks but I'm sure it is better then lying to her. I can tell you I would rather have my kids tell me the truth no matter what.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 7:07:40 AM
In cases like this, always tell the truth. There's no good reason not to. Although in the short-term, your mother might be irritated at what you did, she'll definitely remember your honesty and appreciate it one way or another. If one is going to lie, he should save his credibility for something useful.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 1:48:56 PM

You should've gone to Target and bought a $5 hand mirror and duck taped it to the sideview mirror. When she points it out and say "WTF is this?!" say "what? it's always been like that since the day we got it. I think you're going senile mom." Then walk away (don't give her time to respond). She'll likely accept that she is getting old and losing her memory and all will be right with the world.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:00:36 PM
At 12/6/2011 1:48:56 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

You should've gone to Target and bought a $5 hand mirror and duck taped it to the sideview mirror. When she points it out and say "WTF is this?!" say "what? it's always been like that since the day we got it. I think you're going senile mom." Then walk away (don't give her time to respond). She'll likely accept that she is getting old and losing her memory and all will be right with the world.

she'd have never got away with that. she'd have never got away with a small scratch, it was always gonna come back to her. what she should've done was totalled it into a tree somewhere away from home, spread some cocaine around the car, and let the police have reported it totalled and most likely stolen to her mother. insurance buys a new car! no traumatised nonentity's mammies or indebted nonentites... and who doesn't love new cars? everybody's happy! and then maybe point the finger at some villainous drug dealer who's been ruining local kids lives and pray for magic while you're at it?
signature
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:07:14 PM
At 12/6/2011 2:00:36 PM, badger wrote:

she'd have never got away with that. she'd have never got away with a small scratch, it was always gonna come back to her. what she should've done was totalled it into a tree somewhere away from home, spread some cocaine around the car, and let the police have reported it totalled and most likely stolen to her mother. insurance buys a new car! no traumatised nonentity's mammies or indebted nonentites... and who doesn't love new cars? everybody's happy! and then maybe point the finger at some villainous drug dealer who's been ruining local kids lives and pray for magic while you're at it?

No need to waste the cocaine, as that just becomes an increased cost. Better just to report it stolen and then crash it, though you got to do it right. drive it into a tree, jump out of the car and close the door behind you before impact. Then (wearing a glove) open the door and leave it open (as if the driver fled).

Maybe add some empty beer cans or something, but cocaine is a little over board. You don't want the police getting any more involved than needed.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:13:44 PM
At 12/6/2011 2:07:14 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/6/2011 2:00:36 PM, badger wrote:

No need to waste the cocaine, as that just becomes an increased cost. Better just to report it stolen and then crash it, though you got to do it right. drive it into a tree, jump out of the car and close the door behind you before impact. Then (wearing a glove) open the door and leave it open (as if the driver fled).

Maybe add some empty beer cans or something, but cocaine is a little over board. You don't want the police getting any more involved than needed.

how dare you pick at my plan?! and it was just a general gist of a plan anyway... but i suppose sure that'd be a terrible waste of cocaine, and it was better pointed out. it might hinder the cops though? nah, i'm over myself... but now i've a better idea! buy me some cocaine and beer and i'll do the job! if anyone's ever in need, you know who to call! ...and it's not ghostbusters. badger's totalled totalling service!
signature
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 6:20:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not that anyone cares but I actually got off quite easy. Not only did she not get mad at all, but I also still have full access to her car AND she took it to a mechanic herself and paid for it.

Crisis averted ^_^ Glad I went with the honest route.