Jump to topic:

Becoming a Father.... Advice?

Justin_Thiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 10:14:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello, I will become a father this year and would like to hear advice from any of the Dad's on this site. Also, any good book recommendations on being a father or early child development would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you for your time and energy.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 10:56:29 AM
At 1/3/2012 10:14:09 AM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
Hello, I will become a father this year and would like to hear advice from any of the Dad's on this site. Also, any good book recommendations on being a father or early child development would be greatly appreciated as well.

Bright from the Start is a good, scientifically backed book on giving babies and toddlers what they need to develop cognitivly (lots of brain excersises, no tv, that kind of thing). Our dr. recommended it to me and I recommened it to you.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 11:29:27 AM
Make sure to use corporal punishment.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 11:53:16 AM

I used the "What to expect when expecting" book. Its actually really informative. As for advice.....I don't know really.....don't leave it in the pool? Lol honestly babies aren't that difficult. I was actually surprised by how easy becoming a dad was.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 11:53:57 AM
Start associating with others who have kids; it makes taking care of them a lot easier and you'll need the exposure to other parents' situations.
Rob
Justin_Thiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 12:51:57 PM
Thank you to those who have responded thus far... I will research some reviews on the book "Bright from the Start". I appreciate the advise.

Any further advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 11:25:32 AM

JT, it is very important to establish a routine for your child: eating, bathing and sleeping should be at predictable times for him, and try to read to him every night before he goes to sleep, whenever possible. I also play lullaby music to help my "wild" son settle down.

Also, always carry an extra set of clothing when you leave the house; babies might be small and don't eat a lot, but they can produce an enormous amount of poo that will dirty every article of clothing he is wearing.

You should also expect to be sleep deprived for the first three months, and don't be surprised if your son chooses to urine while you are changing his diaper. And if your lucky like me, you might just get projectile vomit in the face.

In the end, be firm and set boundaries that can never be crossed. As your son grows there are going to be countless power struggles that you have to win.

Congrats and always enjoy the precious time you have with your son.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 2:00:22 PM
At 1/4/2012 11:25:32 AM, Chthonian wrote:

JT, it is very important to establish a routine for your child: eating, bathing and sleeping should be at predictable times for him, and try to read to him every night before he goes to sleep, whenever possible. I also play lullaby music to help my "wild" son settle down.

Reading and music are essential. You will learn that in the book I recommended.

Also, always carry an extra set of clothing when you leave the house; babies might be small and don't eat a lot, but they can produce an enormous amount of poo that will dirty every article of clothing he is wearing.

You should also expect to be sleep deprived for the first three months,

I was very lucky to know an unemployeed woman who needed a place to stay when we had our baby. I never had to lose any sleep because of her help. If you know anyone like this, you won't regret letting him or her live with you for free.

and don't be surprised if your son chooses to urine while you are changing his diaper. And if your lucky like me, you might just get projectile vomit in the face.

In the end, be firm and set boundaries that can never be crossed. As your son grows there are going to be countless power struggles that you have to win.

Give it your best shot anyway.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 11:21:07 PM
At 1/3/2012 11:29:27 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Make sure to use corporal punishment.

I am laughing, lol.............lol..................lol. ok I'm done laughing, *giggle*. ok that's it, but yeah that seems to work.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:52:23 AM
At 1/4/2012 11:10:09 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Never use violence, but that does not mean to not be assertive.

By the way, I know it's you Tiel.

lol
whats bad about violence :D
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 1:27:56 AM
At 1/4/2012 11:10:09 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Never use violence, but that does not mean to not be assertive.

By the way, I know it's you Tiel.

Yeah this makes sense. A new member does not just make an account and immediately ask an unknown debate community for advice. lol
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 7:56:00 PM
Do not ever let a child win an argument, Once you give in it's all over.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:12:14 PM
Also get some carpet. Otherwise you're going to need to give your little one full football gear when it comes to walking.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Justin_Thiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 11:32:03 AM
At 1/4/2012 11:25:32 AM, Chthonian wrote:

You should also expect to be sleep deprived for the first three months, and don't be surprised if your son chooses to urine while you are changing his diaper. And if your lucky like me, you might just get projectile vomit in the face.

Thank you very much! Yours words are very helpful!
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:40:10 PM
My advice is that you should keep in mind that, when you are at your most stressed, your most tired, remember that this 'stage' will pass. Typically the first week or three are pretty bad because your baby will keep you up. You will lack sleep and you will be attempting your best to interpret your baby's cries.

It will pass, keep that in mind whenever you feel too over your head.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 3:18:21 PM
At 1/5/2012 7:56:00 PM, sadolite wrote:

You often lose arguments with children?

leah12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 10:39:57 AM
love your wife, forgive your wife, honour your wife, the best gift you can ever give your kids is a stable family.
Merry Christmas!
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 1:06:49 PM
Now I know most(all) of my advice this forum consists of burning people's houses down, but on this I have more; always consider what is the most loving action regarding your child, rather than what they might want most, teach them a strong moral code, and forgive them readily so that when they inevitably rebel against you, they do not feel that they are unreconcilably alienated from. Raise them to be the person that on your best days you wish you were. And once you have done all of this, and he is now a man;
Burn his house down.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 5:36:43 PM
At 1/20/2012 1:06:49 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Now I know most(all) of my advice this forum consists of burning people's houses down, but on this I have more; always consider what is the most loving action regarding your child, rather than what they might want most, teach them a strong moral code, and forgive them readily so that when they inevitably rebel against you, they do not feel that they are unreconcilably alienated from. Raise them to be the person that on your best days you wish you were. And once you have done all of this, and he is now a man;
Burn his house down.

I had a rough and unforgiving father. My childhood was marked by considerable stress which I bear to this day. I think it's important to remember how much meaning one's negativity can influence one's child. I try to always be by childs friend. When he rebels a part of me will be proud in spite of my frustration. I'll remember the lines from a great Bad Religion song

It's our nature to be
adversarial and free
Our evolution didn't hinge on passivity

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 10:06:12 PM
Congrats! I advise you pay close attention to the language used by your offspring, it can prove crucial to ensuring the survival of you and your progeny. Try teaching your offspring several languages but I advise you start at the age of six to seven, please make sure the language isn't French or Spanish, try Russian, Mandarin, Mongolian, German, Japanese, or Swahili. Also make sure your child is well versed in the art of war and understands basic military/civil engineering concepts. Ensure that your offspring has funds and assets set aside directly for him/her to benefit from upon reaching adulthood. Teach your offspring combat skills and basic psychology.

And as always, make sure your child has fun while doing it.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 6:10:02 PM
At 1/18/2012 3:18:21 PM, vbaculum wrote:

You often lose arguments with children?

You don't have children, it's obvious.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 10:56:23 PM

My parents adhere to this view way too much. It doesn't make me see them as authoritative or more legitimate somehow, it just makes them look like a little kid unwilling to admit when they're wrong.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 10:04:32 PM
At 1/21/2012 10:56:23 PM, socialpinko wrote:

My parents adhere to this view way too much. It doesn't make me see them as authoritative or more legitimate somehow, it just makes them look like a little kid unwilling to admit when they're wrong.

Case in point. You can be right when you move out and pay your own way. You, the child calling the parent the little kid. LOL

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 12:03:33 AM
You're too young to be a father!

I can't believe we live in a society where 30-year-olds are having kids and are not even ashamed... and people are supporting this!
President of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 12:07:34 AM
At 1/22/2012 10:04:32 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/21/2012 10:56:23 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Case in point. You can be right when you move out and pay your own way. You, the child calling the parent the little kid. LOL

Said the adult with the debate record of a 17.39% win ratio, on a site containing "children", stating that the child should never win the argument.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 12:19:42 AM
At 1/23/2012 12:03:33 AM, jimtimmy wrote:
You're too young to be a father!

I can't believe we live in a society where 30-year-olds are having kids and are not even ashamed... and people are supporting this!

30 years old is perfectly fine to have a kid....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015