Jump to topic:

Can you fill up a water cup with soda?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 8:18:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Most fast food restaurants allow you to get a cup for water instead of having to buy a soda. You can fill it with water, get a healthy meal, have nothing to worry about. The grey area comes when you actually want a free soda. Is it okay to fill up your water cup with soda? Does it make a difference if you get a clear cup where everyone can see what you are filling or an opaque cup where you can pretty much fill whatever you want and no one will be any the wiser?

Why/why not do you consider it okay to fill a water cup with soda?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 8:29:16 PM
At 1/15/2012 8:18:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Most fast food restaurants allow you to get a cup for water instead of having to buy a soda. You can fill it with water, get a healthy meal, have nothing to worry about. The grey area comes when you actually want a free soda. Is it okay to fill up your water cup with soda? Does it make a difference if you get a clear cup where everyone can see what you are filling or an opaque cup where you can pretty much fill whatever you want and no one will be any the wiser?

Actually, ironically enough, I think it costs less for the restaurant to pay for the soda, than the water.

But that aside, it would be dishonest, and immoral.

I mean, you could pretty easily steal some candy from a store, but do you do that?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 8:31:50 PM
At 1/15/2012 8:29:16 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Actually, ironically enough, I think it costs less for the restaurant to pay for the soda, than the water.

I mean, you could pretty easily steal some candy from a store, but do you do that?

don't you have to pay for the water cup? How is it stealing?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 8:52:17 PM
At 1/15/2012 8:31:50 PM, 000ike wrote:

I don't think I've ever had to pay for a water cup, I don't know about anyone else here.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 8:56:08 PM
At 1/15/2012 8:52:17 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 1/15/2012 8:31:50 PM, 000ike wrote:

I don't think I've ever had to pay for a water cup, I don't know about anyone else here.

*In the states.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 9:01:05 PM
Here in Canada you don't pay for the cup, but you do need to pay for the pop/soda. So yes, getting a cup for water and then filling it with pop would technically be stealing.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 1:05:10 AM
Water cups are usually pretty small. If you fill it up with soda instead of water, you probably cost the company, literally, about 5 cents. So its cool.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 1:14:57 AM
At 1/16/2012 1:05:10 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Water cups are usually pretty small. If you fill it up with soda instead of water, you probably cost the company, literally, about 5 cents. So its cool.

lol no, stealing just a little bit doesn't make it cool. Just get the water cup and drink the water. Soda isn't worth drinking.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 1:26:10 AM
At 1/16/2012 1:14:57 AM, Maikuru wrote:

lol no, stealing just a little bit doesn't make it cool. Just get the water cup and drink the water. Soda isn't worth drinking.

Well obviously I didnt mean it was cool cool, but its not some terrible terrible thing that only dishonest people do.
marcuscato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 9:53:50 AM
At 1/16/2012 1:26:10 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 1/16/2012 1:14:57 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Well obviously I didnt mean it was cool cool, but its not some terrible terrible thing that only dishonest people do.
Maikuru did not misunderstand you the first time. Stealing the soda will just create inconveniences for everybody in the long term.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:14:11 AM
Just get clear stuff like sprite. You'll only get caught if someone gets too close. Hide it behind something like a backpack to be safe.

Do I consider it ok? When a business gets large to the point that it has a powerful influence on the economy, and making serious bank, I feel no guilt. I personally wouldn't steal from the little guy though.

Stealing overall should be avoided, but you aren't likely to face serious consequences from this type of theft.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:17:51 AM
At 1/16/2012 10:14:11 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Just get clear stuff like sprite. You'll only get caught if someone gets too close. Hide it behind something like a backpack to be safe.

Do I consider it ok? When a business gets large to the point that it has a powerful influence on the economy, and making serious bank, I feel no guilt. I personally wouldn't steal from the little guy though.

Stealing overall should be avoided, but you aren't likely to face serious consequences from this type of theft.

I dunno, as a general rule of thumb, if your trying to hide something while your doing it, it probably shouldn't necessarily be done.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:28:44 AM
You have much to learn about the real world if you honestly think that.

Whoever told you that was giving you schmuck advice. The world is full of liars and cheaters who spout a constant stream of bs. Nearly everything you are told is a lie. Everyone hides things, and a completely open society where all things are revealed does not make people any more honest.

The only way to make it in this world is to bullshyt. The world runs on bullshyt.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:34:09 AM
Not that I'm trying to discourage you from being honest. I like honest people. I realize that they are few and far between, because my honesty keeps my mouth shut, and I listen a lot. I had to learn to schmooze.
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:49:27 AM
At 1/16/2012 10:28:44 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Whoever told you that was giving you schmuck advice. The world is full of liars and cheaters who spout a constant stream of bs. Nearly everything you are told is a lie. Everyone hides things, and a completely open society where all things are revealed does not make people any more honest.

The only way to make it in this world is to bullshyt. The world runs on bullshyt.

Meh. That kinda thinking will only create more 'bullshyt' in the world...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 11:42:40 AM
At 1/16/2012 10:28:44 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

so because everyone else is a liar, it is okay for me to lie?

I tend to set my own standards for my actions, not let society or other people set them. I know most people in this world are full of bs, and F*ck them.

You say the only way to make it in this world is from lying, and that's not true. sure, generally bullsh*t and conniving gets you the most amount of money in life, but there are much more important things than that.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 2:47:32 PM
Whether you like it or not, that is how the world is, and no is completely honest. The world runs on schmuck power.

You can deny it all you like, but it doesn't change what is. Just stop and look for it. Listen for it. If I was truly a bad person, would I openly speak of such things? I believe the fact that I openly put these thoughts out there is a testament to my good will. People who don't have their priorities straight practice these things, and they keep it secret. If they spoke openly about it, their facade would crumble.

All I'm doing is exposing the magic that still has society fooled. Will people listen to my words? Probably not, in comparison to the great lie, the power in my integrity amounts to little.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 3:03:14 PM
I just did! Tried it this morning. I went to Carl's Jr, got "just the sandwich" (as opposed to a meal), got water with no ice. After I got my food, just emptied the water and filled it with Sprite. No one was any the wiser and I saved $2. If you do it every day, you save over $700 a year. Everyone should try it. The big bad corporations are not going to be affected by it, care about it, or even know about it!
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 3:33:57 PM
Yes, that is how the world is. It's f*cked up. Part of the recognition of fault though is attempting not to partake in it. There is a difference between saying "everyone steals" and saying "everyone steals, so it is okay to comply and steal as well"

The world is a f*cked up place. People steal, and people do far worse than steal. That makes it okay to steal because....? To stick it to the big companies? The big bad wolf that has screwed you over all of your life? Well then you are letting their overwhelming power and their standards dictate your actions. It's calling the kettle black. It's conforming to what you hate about the world around you.

I never said your statement makes you a bad person, I have no reason to judge you. but it is a jaded and contradictory outlook. If you pride yourself in exposing the truth of a fault, why would you then support complying with that fault?

"Mcdonalds is a rich, money grubbing, scheming, terrible POS. So i'm justified in stealing from them."

now that is denial, my friend.

I'm not saying that i'm perfect, i've stolen a role of tape from staples before lol. I've lied. But i've recognized those actions as faults and have committed to not partaking of them in the future. It doesn't really matter that Staples is a big company and wouldn't know the difference. Sometimes the implication of an action matters more than the effect of it. The effect reaches other people but at the end of the day, it is you that you are living with, you that is trying to reach a state of fulfillment in your life and actions, not the people around you (although your actions will spread onto the people around you.)

I think i understand spinkos argument on the categorical imperative now lol.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 3:47:55 PM
At 1/16/2012 3:33:57 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Yes, that is how the world is. It's f*cked up. Part of the recognition of fault though is attempting not to partake in it. There is a difference between saying "everyone steals" and saying "everyone steals, so it is okay to comply and steal as well"

The world is a f*cked up place. People steal, and people do far worse than steal. That makes it okay to steal because....? To stick it to the big companies? The big bad wolf that has screwed you over all of your life? Well then you are letting their overwhelming power and their standards dictate your actions. It's calling the kettle black. It's conforming to what you hate about the world around you.

I never said your statement makes you a bad person, I have no reason to judge you. but it is a jaded and contradictory outlook. If you pride yourself in exposing the truth of a fault, why would you then support complying with that fault?

"Mcdonalds is a rich, money grubbing, scheming, terrible POS. So i'm justified in stealing from them."

now that is denial, my friend.

I'm not saying that i'm perfect, i've stolen a role of tape from staples before lol. I've lied. But i've recognized those actions as faults and have committed to not partaking of them in the future. It doesn't really matter that Staples is a big company and wouldn't know the difference. Sometimes the implication of an action matters more than the effect of it. The effect reaches other people but at the end of the day, it is you that you are living with, you that is trying to reach a state of fulfillment in your life and actions, not the people around you (although your actions will spread onto the people around you.)

I think i understand spinkos argument on the categorical imperative now lol.

But think about it from the point of view of the customer. Either you save 700 bucks a year or you don't. Why choose NOT to save rather than to save?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 4:06:47 PM
People tend to have a problem with hypocrisy when they aren't aware of the fact that most of the time it is impossible to speak of things without being one. I am not pretentious about it.

I also never made a judgement call on whether or not this is good or bad. How could I when I don't know what measure is being used? There is no intrinsic good or bad. There is only good and bad in relation to the grid one places over reality. It is what it is, good and bad do not factor into play.

I'm being realistic, I'm just saying how it is. I am not justifying anything.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 4:26:42 PM
At 1/16/2012 3:47:55 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

But think about it from the point of view of the customer. Either you save 700 bucks a year or you don't. Why choose NOT to save rather than to save?

Morals. Standards. A greater sense of Fulfillment. Exercising your will rather than letting societies standards dictate your actions to the point where you are doing something that you know is wrong because of the compulsion to hide and justify it.

If you are willing to save a few hundred bucks by degrading your own self worth then that's cool, go ahead. At the end of the day it's wrong, but it's not that big of a deal.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 4:32:01 PM
At 1/16/2012 4:26:42 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

Morals. Standards. A greater sense of Fulfillment. Exercising your will rather than letting societies standards dictate your actions to the point where you are doing something that you know is wrong because of the compulsion to hide and justify it.

If you are willing to save a few hundred bucks by degrading your own self worth then that's cool, go ahead. At the end of the day it's wrong, but it's not that big of a deal.

Translation: your girlfriend won't put out if she catches you.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 5:33:40 PM

I could save a TON of money ever year, by simply stealing all the stuff I need/want!

I mean, imagine the Christmas savings!

nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 6:27:26 PM
At 1/16/2012 5:33:40 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I could save a TON of money ever year, by simply stealing all the stuff I need/want!

I mean, imagine the Christmas savings!

TROLOLOLOL XD
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 6:29:44 PM
I did this today accident;y not long ago. I thought my friends "water cup" was a soda cup and filled it with coke. Later I realized this, but was to late. As we were leaving I wanted water, but I didn't press the water button that was below the lemonade button, so got lemonade. I was WTF...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 12:36:12 AM
Is it okay to fill up your water cup with soda?

Well, no. I still do it, but I acknowledge that what I'm doing is wrong and subsequently don't care. Neither does anybody else.

Does it make a difference if you get a clear cup where everyone can see what you are filling or an opaque cup where you can pretty much fill whatever you want and no one will be any the wiser?

Not really.

Property rights mostly. If you think doing this isn't stealing you're just trying to delude yourself.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 11:22:55 AM
This is one of the things that most irritates me about society. If you ask for a water cup, you should actually GET WATER.

It's dishonest and stealing.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.