Gift Ideas

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 11:57:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is really difficult to buy gifts for men :/

So I come to you all in the hopes that you will give me some ideas of what to get my boyfriend for his birthday.

A little background information:

-We would be celebrating our 1 year next week but he's going back to his home country indefinitely
-His birthday is in a few weeks and I would like to give him the gift on Sunday before he leaves, and have him open it on his birthday
-I gave him a watch for Christmas
-I've given him cologne as a 'just because' gift
-I've also given him a hand-made photo album

I would rather not repeat gifts, and I do want to get him something original, but I need some ideas.

What do guys typically like as gifts? What don't you like?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:08:21 AM
The gifts I like probably aren't the norm but your situation reminds me of one I had a few years back, so I'll share.

My girlfriend and I had been dating long-distance for four years and I was visiting her in California. Before I went back home for the foreseeable future, she gave me an early Christmas present. It was a small wooden box with a simple latch, something you could get for $5 at a craft shop.

She had painted it and covered the outside with some of the poetry we'd written each other over the years. Inside were hundreds of origami stars that, when unraveled, had personal messages she'd written for me to read when I felt lonely at home. She also included pictures, inside jokes, and other handmade things.

Most guys probably aren't into sentimental things, but given your situation, something heartfelt, handmade, and full of history may be a good bet. I sure wasn't into crafty things before then but that thing melted me. It also helped us handle the distance a little better.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:13:32 AM
Maikuru --That sounds really sweet... I'm a hopeless romantic. I was thinking of something personal and heartfelt but I was afraid guys don't like that sort of thing.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:20:43 AM
At 1/26/2012 12:13:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
Maikuru --That sounds really sweet... I'm a hopeless romantic. I was thinking of something personal and heartfelt but I was afraid guys don't like that sort of thing.

okay I am fourteen and my opinion probably doesn't matter, but still I have to say one thing.
It is the caring love that you show that truly counts.
Call me crazy, but that sounds pretty great.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:26:24 AM
At 1/26/2012 12:13:32 AM, nonentity wrote:

It depends on the guy. How did he respond to your photo album? If he was a fan of that, he'd probably be a fan of something else sentimental. I was hesitant about those types of gifts at first but long-distance relationships have a way of increasing the value of personal gifts.

If he was only kind of happy with the album, he may still appreciate something heartfelt after being away from you for some time. Maybe just personalizing an otherwise normal gift can serve both purposes. If romantic things just aren't his speed, I'd go for something he's likely to use every day. It's hard to go wrong with something electronic.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:00:00 PM
Yeah, I think he really liked the album. I got him a wallet with his name engraved in in a metal plate to match the watch I got him (also with his name engraved). The wallet came in it's own case so I'm going to throw some handwritten notes in there and wrap it up :)

Thanks again for your input!
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:56:40 PM
A gun.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 3:21:34 PM
The best things in life are blow jobs.

Yeah, hard to get more personal and heartfelt.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp