Jump to topic:

New House next to highway

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 12:49:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm looking for a new place and I found a gorgeous house but it is about 100 yards from a pretty active highway. Noise is significant and I'm wondering about dust and exhaust (air and noise pollution). Am I a fool to take it?

The ironic thing is that the highway creates a little pocket of street that isn't traveled on much, which is cool having kids around.
Rob
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 1:59:45 PM
I lived next to a very busy straight for about 8 years in NJ. The exhaust and smell were never problems (we already have natural resistances in NJ). It was the noise that was the killer. The non-stop traffic sounds nearly drove us mad. Eventually we took to having the radio or tv's on all day, every day just to drown things out.

From the sounds of your situation, things probably wouldn't be as bad as all that. You're about twice as far as we were and highway traffic isn't usually bumper to bumper. Still, many areas install noise-buffering walls around highways to protect homes like that from the constant bombardment. I'd suggest just sitting in the home for a while and seeing how much noise, if any, you can make out. Realize that you will become accustomed to a lot of it.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 2:22:51 PM
At 2/1/2012 12:49:02 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I'm looking for a new place and I found a gorgeous house but it is about 100 yards from a pretty active highway. Noise is significant and I'm wondering about dust and exhaust (air and noise pollution). Am I a fool to take it?:

Well, whenever you see a nice home that is continually unoccupied, you always have to wonder why everyone keeps moving out. It is possible that the noise and smog made it unbearable to live.

Just really examine it before signing anything.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 9:33:08 PM
Yeah city traffic noise is the worst with the accelerating, breaking, honking, etc. And Green Bay is only 100k people so it wouldn't be as much as, say, the highways in Austin which are constantly packed. It's a flag nonetheless though... I think I'm going to go ahead with it. Other houses in the price range either have a much smaller yard (I got a big dog and a kid) or don't have the finished basement (I've never had one and really want one). This one has a bar in the basement and is finished pretty cleanly so I'll have an awesome Sunday spot for Packer games :)

Thanks for reminding me I need to drive out there and experience it at night when I would hypothetically need to be trying to get kids to sleep!
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 10:13:42 PM
I went out there with a camera and recorded it in front of the house and you could barely make out the audio. I'm going to go for it L:)
Rob