Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Parents forcing religion down your throat

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 1:57:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My parents keep trying to get me to watch these religious documentaries and read this religious books. However, I don't want anything to do with Christianity. I don't believe in it and I consider it invasive. You see, they don't know I don't believe, and I would rather not tell them, because that's just asking for trouble. Arguing with them about why I think the religion does not make sense is out of the question.

Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:03:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 1:57:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
My parents keep trying to get me to watch these religious documentaries and read this religious books. However, I don't want anything to do with Christianity. I don't believe in it and I consider it invasive. You see, they don't know I don't believe, and I would rather not tell them, because that's just asking for trouble. Arguing with them about why I think the religion does not make sense is out of the question.

Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?

I had the same problem . . . I tried to just discretely hide it, but eventually my parents noticed anyways. They were not happy, obviously, and they still are not, but they really do not mention it. I would just tell them the moment that you get into another argument with them about anything.
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:05:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 1:57:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
My parents keep trying to get me to watch these religious documentaries and read this religious books. However, I don't want anything to do with Christianity. I don't believe in it and I consider it invasive. You see, they don't know I don't believe, and I would rather not tell them, because that's just asking for trouble. Arguing with them about why I think the religion does not make sense is out of the question.

Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?

This is really relatable. You should just say simply, "I just don't agree with a lot of the things Christianity is made up of. And then if they keep asking you why just say, "I would rather not discuss this."
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
thett3
Posts: 14,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:06:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 1:57:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
My parents keep trying to get me to watch these religious documentaries and read this religious books. However, I don't want anything to do with Christianity. I don't believe in it and I consider it invasive. You see, they don't know I don't believe, and I would rather not tell them, because that's just asking for trouble. Arguing with them about why I think the religion does not make sense is out of the question.

Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?

Sucks man. Honestly, I think you should just go with it. You might not believe in Christianity, but at least they aren't making you do something difficult or dangerous like lots of parents do. I wouldn't view it as worthy of a fight.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:12:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have the same problem with my mother. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to ask them if they'd like to discuss the reasons behind your decision. My mom was under the impression that I was just in some immature little phase that I would eventually grow out of (and I believe she still secretly thinks that) but I had a talk about it with my parents; my dad actually took my side because he believed I was very rational about what I was saying. As long as they believe your refusal to accept their beliefs is out of a rebellious teenage attitude, they will continue to try to force it down your throat.

Unfortunately, they'll probably never let it go, because they want what's best for you and they believe that to be the best. For example, I made a HUGE mistake yesterday and turned down a job interview. I was kicking myself repeatedly for it, and my mom said, "Don't worry about it. If it's God's plan, you will get the job. If not, then it wasn't in God's plan". I replied sarcastically, "How convenient". She wouldn't let the whole "God's plan" thing go, so I finally had to say, "Look, mother, that's not comforting whatsoever to an atheist" and she let it go. The word "atheist" makes her want to cry :p

But yeah, like I said, try to rationally explain to them the reasons behind your decision. The less it comes off as a pissy little rebellious phase, the better.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:29:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I guess I'm in a minority here but the results were actually pretty good when I told them. They basically just no longer asked that I go to services with them. It depends on your parents, are they rational people or likely to be blinded by knee jerk prejudices?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:37:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 2:12:10 PM, nonentity wrote:
I have the same problem with my mother. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to ask them if they'd like to discuss the reasons behind your decision. My mom was under the impression that I was just in some immature little phase that I would eventually grow out of (and I believe she still secretly thinks that) but I had a talk about it with my parents; my dad actually took my side because he believed I was very rational about what I was saying. As long as they believe your refusal to accept their beliefs is out of a rebellious teenage attitude, they will continue to try to force it down your throat.

Unfortunately, they'll probably never let it go, because they want what's best for you and they believe that to be the best. For example, I made a HUGE mistake yesterday and turned down a job interview. I was kicking myself repeatedly for it, and my mom said, "Don't worry about it. If it's God's plan, you will get the job. If not, then it wasn't in God's plan". I replied sarcastically, "How convenient". She wouldn't let the whole "God's plan" thing go, so I finally had to say, "Look, mother, that's not comforting whatsoever to an atheist" and she let it go. The word "atheist" makes her want to cry :p

But yeah, like I said, try to rationally explain to them the reasons behind your decision. The less it comes off as a pissy little rebellious phase, the better.

That would all require telling them though. If I say I don't believe in Christianity, they'd probably get angry and say the "internet is corrupting you" or something. Actually, to be more precise, they'd most likely blame DDO and stop me from using it. Then they'd probably become more militant and authoritative in their attempts to get me to be religious.

If I come across as rebellious, they'd take me less seriously. But if I come across as serious and informed, they'd take it as childish babble, and take it as me trying to act like an adult,..then be somewhat patronizing in their uncompromising rejection of my position.

Its sort of a lose/lose situation, except of course if I pretend to be Christian, and comply..which would mean hours of my life I could have spent doing meaningful things gone down the drain...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:45:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 2:37:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/4/2012 2:12:10 PM, nonentity wrote:
I have the same problem with my mother. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to ask them if they'd like to discuss the reasons behind your decision. My mom was under the impression that I was just in some immature little phase that I would eventually grow out of (and I believe she still secretly thinks that) but I had a talk about it with my parents; my dad actually took my side because he believed I was very rational about what I was saying. As long as they believe your refusal to accept their beliefs is out of a rebellious teenage attitude, they will continue to try to force it down your throat.

Unfortunately, they'll probably never let it go, because they want what's best for you and they believe that to be the best. For example, I made a HUGE mistake yesterday and turned down a job interview. I was kicking myself repeatedly for it, and my mom said, "Don't worry about it. If it's God's plan, you will get the job. If not, then it wasn't in God's plan". I replied sarcastically, "How convenient". She wouldn't let the whole "God's plan" thing go, so I finally had to say, "Look, mother, that's not comforting whatsoever to an atheist" and she let it go. The word "atheist" makes her want to cry :p

But yeah, like I said, try to rationally explain to them the reasons behind your decision. The less it comes off as a pissy little rebellious phase, the better.

That would all require telling them though. If I say I don't believe in Christianity, they'd probably get angry and say the "internet is corrupting you" or something. Actually, to be more precise, they'd most likely blame DDO and stop me from using it. Then they'd probably become more militant and authoritative in their attempts to get me to be religious.

If I come across as rebellious, they'd take me less seriously. But if I come across as serious and informed, they'd take it as childish babble, and take it as me trying to act like an adult,..then be somewhat patronizing in their uncompromising rejection of my position.

Its sort of a lose/lose situation, except of course if I pretend to be Christian, and comply..which would mean hours of my life I could have spent doing meaningful things gone down the drain...

Well, you only have to do it for three more years . . .
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:57:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?:

Tell them to log onto DDO :) We'll set your parents straight

In all seriousness, it honestly depends on what your parents are like.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 3:04:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Damn, I'm glad I don't have to deal with this sh*t anymore... I haven't lived in the same city as my parents for 12 years, and I prefer it that way. We all feel compelled to hide stuff from our parents. Even my parents, who are now in their 60's, keep stuff from their parents who are in their 80's!. LOL! It's kind of amusing.

Point is, everyone here knows what you're going through or has experienced it at some point in their lives. I would offer advice but I really think I would have to get a sense of what your parents are like.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 3:42:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Let them know how you feel about it. They are you parents, and I'm sure they will understand.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 9:32:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 1:57:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
My parents keep trying to get me to watch these religious documentaries and read this religious books. However, I don't want anything to do with Christianity. I don't believe in it and I consider it invasive. You see, they don't know I don't believe, and I would rather not tell them, because that's just asking for trouble. Arguing with them about why I think the religion does not make sense is out of the question.

Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?

Innocently ask them questions that you know will be difficult to answer. It will disincintivise them from bothering you. The key part is to act sincere: "How come God let all those people die.?" and so on...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 10:08:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You should tell. But understand it from their veiw and be gental. They will be sad thinking you're going to burn and suffer endlessly. You can't blame them for their reaction.
kfc
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 10:41:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 2:12:10 PM, nonentity wrote:
I have the same problem with my mother. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to ask them if they'd like to discuss the reasons behind your decision. My mom was under the impression that I was just in some immature little phase that I would eventually grow out of (and I believe she still secretly thinks that) but I had a talk about it with my parents; my dad actually took my side because he believed I was very rational about what I was saying. As long as they believe your refusal to accept their beliefs is out of a rebellious teenage attitude, they will continue to try to force it down your throat.

Unfortunately, they'll probably never let it go, because they want what's best for you and they believe that to be the best. For example, I made a HUGE mistake yesterday and turned down a job interview. I was kicking myself repeatedly for it, and my mom said, "Don't worry about it. If it's God's plan, you will get the job. If not, then it wasn't in God's plan". I replied sarcastically, "How convenient". She wouldn't let the whole "God's plan" thing go, so I finally had to say, "Look, mother, that's not comforting whatsoever to an atheist" and she let it go. The word "atheist" makes her want to cry :p

That's the only part of the word I like - that it upsets and shocks people.


But yeah, like I said, try to rationally explain to them the reasons behind your decision. The less it comes off as a pissy little rebellious phase, the better.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 10:48:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 1:57:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
My parents keep trying to get me to watch these religious documentaries and read this religious books. However, I don't want anything to do with Christianity. I don't believe in it and I consider it invasive. You see, they don't know I don't believe, and I would rather not tell them, because that's just asking for trouble. Arguing with them about why I think the religion does not make sense is out of the question.

Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?

They will never accept this fully coming from you. So again, I was right. You are an outcast and with reason. God exists. And for whatever reason, you have agreed to this painful untruth. If you took the time to actually investigate for yoursef, instead of being brainwashed and manipulated into secular garbage......
Then you would recognize the logic and reality that is so difficult for you narrow mind to grasp. It has nothing to do with religion itself. It is about what you think about The Almighty.
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 11:28:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/6/2012 10:48:05 AM, inferno wrote:
At 2/4/2012 1:57:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
My parents keep trying to get me to watch these religious documentaries and read this religious books. However, I don't want anything to do with Christianity. I don't believe in it and I consider it invasive. You see, they don't know I don't believe, and I would rather not tell them, because that's just asking for trouble. Arguing with them about why I think the religion does not make sense is out of the question.

Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?

They will never accept this fully coming from you. So again, I was right. You are an outcast and with reason. God exists. And for whatever reason, you have agreed to this painful untruth. If you took the time to actually investigate for yoursef, instead of being brainwashed and manipulated into secular garbage......
Then you would recognize the logic and reality that is so difficult for you narrow mind to grasp. It has nothing to do with religion itself. It is about what you think about The Almighty.

Yeah, ignore all that blabber and just sit through it like I did, you can keep an open mind but do like somebody else already said and just cover it up.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 11:41:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/6/2012 11:34:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
ike, just sit through it for three more years . . . after that, you can stop forever.

Like it has been said..........This is not about religion persay. This is about ones personal relationship with God and how you view Him as your Creator.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 11:41:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/6/2012 11:41:08 AM, inferno wrote:
At 2/6/2012 11:34:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
ike, just sit through it for three more years . . . after that, you can stop forever.

Like it has been said..........This is not about religion persay. This is about ones personal relationship with God and how you view Him as your Creator.

Ike has already said that he does not believe in God. He is not going to change his mind because of your silly rants.
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 9:05:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I can honestly understand both sides to this situation.
But the best things is to tell them straight up. You can't oppress yourself forever(Even if it is another three years) Because one day you are going to get mad at something they say about Christ, then blow up. It won't be pretty.

But please understand where they are coming from
First of all they are your parents and let's face it, even though they aren't as smart as you they probably have more life experience than you.(We are all pretty young)
Second understand that they are only abiding by their beliefs. I do not know where it is but I'm decently sure in the bible somewhere it says that a good parent must raise there child in a christian manner, or burn in hell(Don't know what verse this is and i'm BSing on the hell part)
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:15:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/4/2012 1:57:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
My parents keep trying to get me to watch these religious documentaries and read this religious books. However, I don't want anything to do with Christianity. I don't believe in it and I consider it invasive. You see, they don't know I don't believe, and I would rather not tell them, because that's just asking for trouble. Arguing with them about why I think the religion does not make sense is out of the question.

Parents tend to believe their kids know a lot less about life than they really do, and so these attempts come with comments like "I'm trying to teach you about life." Its all very annoying and troublesome. What should I do?

You can do two things when something is forced down your throat.

Vomit it
Excrete it

So, it's upto you.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:35:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think that parents sort of have the right to "force religion down you throat".

I was born and raised a mormon, but once I moved out, and had control of my life, I stopped going.
I think I at least owed going to church to my parents.

Point is, there your parents, the feed you, provide for you, shelter you, and for most people, they don't even have to pay them rent.

I think they should at least follow their rules, even if that means going to church when you don't like it.

You will get the chance to make your own decisions when you are on your own.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 2:07:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/10/2012 10:35:40 AM, TUF wrote:
I think that parents sort of have the right to "force religion down you throat".

I was born and raised a mormon, but once I moved out, and had control of my life, I stopped going.
I think I at least owed going to church to my parents.

Point is, there your parents, the feed you, provide for you, shelter you, and for most people, they don't even have to pay them rent.

I think they should at least follow their rules, even if that means going to church when you don't like it.

You will get the chance to make your own decisions when you are on your own.

This stuff doesn't actually apply to my situation, but just from a philosophical standpoint:

I'm always slightly perturbed when people say things like "your parents do this that and that"... Well it's the parent's decision to have a child, and children can't survive in our society. They cannot provide for themselves, they are dependent. When parents care for their children, they aren't doing them a favor,...they're fulfilling an obligation.

When kids get to the teenage years, our society is constructed in such a way that a teenager can understand and feel restrained under the dictatorial rule of an authority,...but have no means to be independent. So, the teenage years are a time for parents to increase self-determination, otherwise, they are literally oppressing a human being that has no way out.

Again, that doesn't apply to me, but that's how I see the role of guardians.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 2:21:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Parents are going to share their beliefs with their children, its inevitable. You don't have to agree however and are free to make your own decisions but they are always going to share those beliefs.