Speech FEEDBACK plz

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 10:09:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Speech:

In Autumn of 1918 came the end of the first world war. The armistice had been called and peace had been achieved. But at a heavy cost. As the once vibrant youth came trickling back to their homes, it became evident that this war had had not only a political, social, and human cost, but also a psychological cost. Countless survivors of the trenches came back empty shells of themselves, hollow and shallow beings from whom the war had ripped out their youth. Gertrude Stein, the famous literature critic called these men, the "Lost Generation". Stein recognized that these men would never fully recover from the war, and although they survived the machine guns and artillery, their souls stayed in no man's land, as they could never forget the horrors of war.

Even though American President Woodrow Wilson called this catastrophe "the war to end all wars" a mere 21 years later, a second, more deadly world war erupted, leaving another generation of people empty and haunted by the war. Whether they were American soldiers landing in Normandy, German soldiers defending Berlin, or Japanese nuclear bomb survivors, the war lived on in their minds. With the Korean and Vietnam wars, more generations, more men joined the lost generations that had come before them. They too would not escape this seemingly periodical destruction and would return home petrified, if at all. Though the wars were fought with more advanced weaponry and jets, war never changes.
Today, with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, we have just begun to see the effects on the people. Soldiers returning home missing limbs, missing friends, and missing themselves. While this war is fought with smart missiles and special forces teams. . .war never changes.

This brings me to think about the fate of my generation. Will we be condemned to another war? Will we experience some other disaster. Will we become the next lost generation?

Generation Y, my generation, is growing up. We are the first generation to be predicted to die younger than our predecessors. We are predicted to be the most apathetic and uninvolved generation in terms of social and political issues. We are surrounded by technology that has been expanding faster than ever in history. But soon, the older generation will retire, and leave the keys to us. How will we act? Will we repeat the sins of our forefathers? Will we succumb to the mistakes that our leaders and those we have come to respect have made? Will we a generation forgotten? This I stubbornly must deny. We must be prepared to learn from our mistakes, or be prepared to repeat our tragic history.

As every day passes by and we near the day when we will be put in charge, I am hopeful that we will not find more silly excuses to kill each other. I hope that we will not create war for the sake of war or for the sake of greed. I hope that war and destruction is not a trait of human existence, periodically repeating itself. We thought we had learned our lesson after the first world war, we thought we had learned our lesson after the second or the countless others that followed. But we may be dreamers, we may be the next vibrant youth before the storm that takes us and swallows us into the stomach of the lost generation. While it may be in the name of homeland security instead of the political games of the past, we can still be pulled in. Because war. . .war never changes.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 12:01:16 AM
At 2/23/2012 10:09:59 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Speech:
Because war. . .war never changes.

I'd be a poor judge of the overall speech but be honest: did you get that line from Fallout?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:22:20 PM
At 2/24/2012 12:01:16 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 2/23/2012 10:09:59 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Speech:
Because war. . .war never changes.

I'd be a poor judge of the overall speech but be honest: did you get that line from Fallout?

Nope. I got it from someone else's speech. Maybe they got it from fallout.