Jump to topic:

Question

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:36:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Would you rather be mediocre at multiple things or the best at one?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:14:08 PM
The best at one, because the implication is that you're mediocre anyway, so really the only question being asked is "maintain the squo, or make it better?"
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:17:32 PM
At 2/26/2012 4:14:08 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
The best at one, because the implication is that you're mediocre anyway, so really the only question being asked is "maintain the squo, or make it better?"

well look at it this way. Would you rather get Bs in all your classes, or an A+ in only one, and D/Fs in the rest?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:19:08 PM
If the question is changed to "be great at many things, or the best at one" - it would depend on what the things were. For example if it were sports, I would want to be the best at one and go pro, rather than just be great at many.
However, if it is crime fighting skills (bizarre example - sorry) I would rather be a great all rounder than the best at hand to hand combat or crime scene analysis, because a crime fighter should be prepared for anything.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:19:32 PM
At 2/26/2012 4:17:32 PM, 000ike wrote:

well look at it this way. Would you rather get Bs in all your classes, or an A+ in only one, and D/Fs in the rest?

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I'd pick the average across the board, actually.

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:20:15 PM

In this example Bs, but I do think DN is right in that the general assumption is that people are average.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:20:44 PM
At 2/26/2012 4:20:15 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

In this example Bs, but I do think DN is right in that the general assumption is that people are average.

But I guess that isn't the question so ignore it.
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:21:47 PM
This is an easy question to awnser.... I guess I would be best at something... But I guess that something would be.... Singing? I have no talents so I sing everytime I get and think of myself as a musician...
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:23:07 PM
At 2/26/2012 4:19:08 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
If the question is changed to "be great at many things, or the best at one" - it would depend on what the things were. For example if it were sports, I would want to be the best at one and go pro, rather than just be great at many.
However, if it is crime fighting skills (bizarre example - sorry) I would rather be a great all rounder than the best at hand to hand combat or crime scene analysis, because a crime fighter should be prepared for anything.

My my, Thad. You're looking dapper today. I'm disappointed by how my profile pic turned out. It was taken about 500 years ago, but still, I can never get over how that artist made my earring look.

I said "This isn't a pirate earring, don't make it look like one." He said okay. But what does he do? He makes it a pirate earring.

I'm a Bard, not a pirate. God, the girls back home at Strat/Av High had a field day with that picture...

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:24:40 PM
Well mediocre at all, sadly I have that great at one aspect... It's sad :(
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:25:04 PM
At 2/26/2012 4:24:40 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Well mediocre at all, sadly I have that great at one aspect... It's sad :(

Being good at 1 subject stinks :(
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:25:34 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:36:12 PM, 000ike wrote:

depends completely on the circumstances but i would prefer to be mediocre at many things
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:32:26 PM
At 2/26/2012 4:25:34 PM, imabench wrote:

depends completely on the circumstances but i would prefer to be mediocre at many things

How about in the circumstance of talents. Would you rather be average at every talent you have, or have only one and excel in it. The problem with being average at all is that it feels unfulfilling,...the problem with being best at one is that it's limited.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:38:15 PM
Depends what that one thing was. I wouldn't want to be the best at murdering or stealing or something like that.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:40:23 PM
But let me tell you, I've been the best in the world before before (at picking up chicks) and it gets to be a drag, everyone always asking for advice...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 8:06:40 PM
At 2/26/2012 4:38:15 PM, thett3 wrote:
Depends what that one thing was. I wouldn't want to be the best at murdering or stealing or something like that.

Yeah something like this.

I feel like I am already good at multiple things though, but not "the best". Still I have a few skills I am above average at.

If I could choose, I would probably go with a best skill.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 9:23:42 PM
I'd assume just be well rounded and try to be the best possible at everything you do.
Sounds corny now that I say it.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 12:13:32 AM

Um, believe it or not you can be the best at more than one thing, at least I am.

I am the best machine operator at where I work. I can operate every single machine better than anyone can. Some can operate one I can operate any machine better than anyone. I can do dozens of things better than most. "The best", that depends on who you are talking to and what they are charging. The best screw up just like the rest of us. Iv'e seen the so called "best" at what they do, They aren't any better than you are three quaters of the the time.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ejh238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 11:40:27 AM
I think it's most beneficial to be the best at one thing. Then make your living off of it. Though I doubt it makes for a good conversationalist. Unless that's what your good at.