Jump to topic:

Help

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 10:47:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm the worst procrastinator I have ever seen. I tell myself I'm going to do my homework friday night,...and then I do it monday morning,...in class...I tell myself I'll stay off DDO for 1 hour and study,...what do I do 10 minutes later? I go on DDO. I tell myself I'll leave my laptop closed for 1 day,...just 1. Guess what I do an hour later? I open my laptop. I was supposed to go to bed an hour and a half ago, but instead I'm on the computer lamenting over my procrastination. I've considered deactivating my account, but I'd just end up reactivating it 15 minutes later.

Help, advice anyone? this is really killing me.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:00:42 PM
Yes, spend a solid amount of time on DDO until you get so bored with being on it that you HAVE to do something else, and then use that energy to do homework.

Or log on to DDO with your smartphone, so you can do both.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:02:27 PM
Did you try what I said in your other thread a little while ago?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:06:10 PM
Also I used to be the same way (with ddo. I'm still very much a procrastinator). It will probably pass after a while. I'm trying hard to train myself with getting my hm done earlier. I think I'm gradually succeeding. Try to make goals for yourself and sketch out a plan, that's what I do and it helps me personally.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:09:32 PM
At 3/4/2012 11:04:41 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't eat or drink until you get it done.

You know this works from experience?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:16:09 PM
At 3/4/2012 10:47:56 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm the worst procrastinator I have ever seen. I tell myself I'm going to do my homework friday night,...and then I do it monday morning,...in class...I tell myself I'll stay off DDO for 1 hour and study,...what do I do 10 minutes later? I go on DDO. I tell myself I'll leave my laptop closed for 1 day,...just 1. Guess what I do an hour later? I open my laptop. I was supposed to go to bed an hour and a half ago, but instead I'm on the computer lamenting over my procrastination. I've considered deactivating my account, but I'd just end up reactivating it 15 minutes later.

Help, advice anyone? this is really killing me.

I'm the same way. The sooner you accept it, the better.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:16:29 PM
At 3/4/2012 11:00:42 PM, thett3 wrote:
Yes, spend a solid amount of time on DDO until you get so bored with being on it that you HAVE to do something else, and then use that energy to do homework.

Or log on to DDO with your smartphone, so you can do both.

Both of these work.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:28:56 PM
At 3/4/2012 11:09:32 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/4/2012 11:04:41 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't eat or drink until you get it done.

You know this works from experience?

I haven't tried it myself. Its just a theory.

Here's something that helped me though.

On your computer/laptop, make a sticky note right in the middle of the desktop. You're going to designate specific times for doing homework. Of course, you've heard this idea before. "Oh yeah, just tell yourself that you'll do homework at 7 every day." But that rarely works and you just end up stalling. It helps more if you set specific times for more than just homework. Here's a random model you can set up on your comp.

3:30 - 5:00: DDO
5:00 - 6:45: Go to friend's house/hang with GF/leave house to do X
7:00 - 7:45: DDO
7:45 - 8:15: Chores
8:15 - 8:30: Eat
8:30 - 9:10: Do homework
Time afterward: DDO

Obviously you don't have to follow this exact patters, you can rearrange and add/subtract stuff. But having a set time that you consistently follow for doing homework helps with motivation problems. I didn't follow any specific schedule like this, but I did try to designate specific times to do a few things, and follow it no matter what. It does help, and it gets easier each day that you follow it because you get into a habit.

Like, here's what I did when I was in school

Sticky note:

5:45 - chores
7:30 - homework
8:30 - anything you need to leave house for

But yeah, anything like that that you can just follow specifically, as often as possible, helps a LOT with motivation. And putting it on a sticky note on your comp makes sure you don't forget. I didn't do this, but theoretically you could set an alarm on all the times you need to do crap as an extra reminder, or anything extra like that.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 10:40:59 PM
From now on, if I post anything in the forum, can someone just write "Go do your homework"? please, for my sake?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 10:42:33 PM
At 3/6/2012 10:40:59 PM, 000ike wrote:
From now on, if I post anything in the forum, can someone just write "Go do your homework"? please, for my sake?

HOMEWORK. NOW.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.