Total Posts:77|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

i converted back to christianity

kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:41:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
i was mostly agnostic and occasionally athiest from about 14 to 21, but i converted back a few days ago. ive been having really bad anxiety for about 6 months, both general anxiety and health anxiety. i finally felt that my fear of dying was more a fear of what would happen after i die, and thats pretty much what brought me back. if i was as worried as i have been then thats evidence that i believe in it. and i have been feeling better and been generally happier since i decided to come back to it.

its going to be a bit tough changing my opinions/ways on some of the things, i havent told a lie for days and i used to lie constantly. but overall i think its worth it.

my question is, do you guys ever get worried about stuff like this? do you worry about what might happen after you die? just curious to see what you guys have to say about this, especially since i know alot of you are pretty aggresively non-religious. like i was just a few days ago lol.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:44:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:41:57 PM, kogline wrote:
i was mostly agnostic and occasionally athiest from about 14 to 21, but i converted back a few days ago. ive been having really bad anxiety for about 6 months, both general anxiety and health anxiety. i finally felt that my fear of dying was more a fear of what would happen after i die, and thats pretty much what brought me back. if i was as worried as i have been then thats evidence that i believe in it. and i have been feeling better and been generally happier since i decided to come back to it.

its going to be a bit tough changing my opinions/ways on some of the things, i havent told a lie for days and i used to lie constantly. but overall i think its worth it.

my question is, do you guys ever get worried about stuff like this? do you worry about what might happen after you die? just curious to see what you guys have to say about this, especially since i know alot of you are pretty aggresively non-religious. like i was just a few days ago lol.

well im sorta christian but i believe there is no hell.
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:01:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
i hope you're right, but im not too sure about it one way or another.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
Skyhook
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 1:05:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Thanks for sharing that. I really appreciate the honesty. Quite honestly, yeah the problem of hell (and evil as well) are very powerful arguments against theism. I'd be lying to you if I said they don't bother me because the fact of the matter is, I actually lose sleep just thinking about them.

As for hell, at the moment, I'd say I'm agnostic to its existence (even though as a Catholic, I should accept it exists). Recently, I've been more focused on the problem of evil, but hell is something on my mind that I should wrestle more with, and will soon.
goodwill
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 1:12:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not really worried about what would happen after I die. I know that I've lived my life as a good Christian and I've tried my best to be nice to people around me. I think that worrying about dying is a waste of time, because it LITERALLY is a waste of time thinking about things you have no control over. Just try to enjoy every moment of your life and be a good person. Life is not that complicated unless you let it be complicated.
Do what you can for now and think about small stuff like that later.
You still have so much to do. Everyone does.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 2:34:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 1:12:06 AM, goodwill wrote:
I'm not really worried about what would happen after I die. I know that I've lived my life as a good Christian and I've tried my best to be nice to people around me. I think that worrying about dying is a waste of time, because it LITERALLY is a waste of time thinking about things you have no control over. Just try to enjoy every moment of your life and be a good person. Life is not that complicated unless you let it be complicated.
Do what you can for now and think about small stuff like that later.
You still have so much to do. Everyone does.

But it appears he has health concerns so I don't think the mentality you propose is going to work. When you have a potentially shortened life, it's not easily dismissed.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 3:00:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well as long as you're happy, that's the main thing.

The thing for me is, I haven't ever believed in God, so I don't correlate any feelings of good towards religious belief and practises. That stuff gets put into your head when you're a kid and is very difficult to get out.

I was brought up by a atheistic wiccan and when I realised magic didn't work, I pretty much became an Atheist. I smoked a lot of pot and thought about it and occasionally proved to myself that God doesn't exist and those thoughts remain regardless of state of mind. I am still yet unable to put those thoughts adequately into words and I persist on trying, so excuse me.

I truly believe that God doesn't exist and assuming we don't destroy ourselves, we will eventually be able to explain how everything works, including the birth of Universes and the spontaneous formation of life on Earth (and almost certainly other planets) with mathematics.

I don't believe in hell, hell, I don't even believe in morality. I believe everything has a physical cause and that, again, that math can explain the universe. I put faith in science because it works. For all intents and purposes and despite research and reading, I can't seem to find a way to come into contact with God in any way I would deem unexplainable. I have truly tried to contact God and nothing. I think about it all the time and I'm yet to have any kind of epiphany where I though "Wow, God does exist..." Nothing remotely supernatural has ever happened to me my entire life. My uncle, who I loved, dying on the day of my 21st birthday party? Yeah, thanks God.

I like to think I'm a good person. I have a good job and I'm happy to go to work. I have a good relationship (with an Atheist) and the only problem I have is not having the money to do all the things I need and want to do. I don't hurt anyone. I'm charitable and kind. I like helping people. I do everything I do because it makes me happy and being a good person makes me feel happy.

And I truly believe that there are people out there harming other people because of their religious beliefs and they need to be stopped.

Any God that would send me to hell for eternal torment is not worthy of consideration let alone worship.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 5:38:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:41:57 PM, kogline wrote:
i was mostly agnostic and occasionally athiest from about 14 to 21, but i converted back a few days ago. ive been having really bad anxiety for about 6 months, both general anxiety and health anxiety. i finally felt that my fear of dying was more a fear of what would happen after i die, and thats pretty much what brought me back. if i was as worried as i have been then thats evidence that i believe in it. and i have been feeling better and been generally happier since i decided to come back to it.

its going to be a bit tough changing my opinions/ways on some of the things, i havent told a lie for days and i used to lie constantly. but overall i think its worth it.

my question is, do you guys ever get worried about stuff like this? do you worry about what might happen after you die? just curious to see what you guys have to say about this, especially since i know alot of you are pretty aggresively non-religious. like i was just a few days ago lol.

I tend to not think about the subject of death. Once I die, I'm in God's hands. I'll just lead as good a life I can. I avoid the topic because, while I'm certain of God and Christ, I'm not certain of an afterlife and just disappearing scare the hell out of me.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 5:38:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:44:42 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 3/4/2012 11:41:57 PM, kogline wrote:
i was mostly agnostic and occasionally athiest from about 14 to 21, but i converted back a few days ago. ive been having really bad anxiety for about 6 months, both general anxiety and health anxiety. i finally felt that my fear of dying was more a fear of what would happen after i die, and thats pretty much what brought me back. if i was as worried as i have been then thats evidence that i believe in it. and i have been feeling better and been generally happier since i decided to come back to it.

its going to be a bit tough changing my opinions/ways on some of the things, i havent told a lie for days and i used to lie constantly. but overall i think its worth it.

my question is, do you guys ever get worried about stuff like this? do you worry about what might happen after you die? just curious to see what you guys have to say about this, especially since i know alot of you are pretty aggresively non-religious. like i was just a few days ago lol.

well im sorta christian but i believe there is no hell.

Can't be heaven without hell. There needs to be a balance of good and evil. Plus, if there's no Hell, where do you place Lucifer?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 5:54:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 5:38:06 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
I tend to not think about the subject of death. Once I die, I'm in God's hands. I'll just lead as good a life I can. I avoid the topic because, while I'm certain of God and Christ, I'm not certain of an afterlife and just disappearing scare the hell out of me.

Death is the ultimate peace. There is no need to be afraid. The only afterlife is the memories you leave behind.

Besides, Christ promised an afterlife and you are certain of him, right?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 11:51:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

Hell certainly exists. The question is whether it's a place of eternal torment, if humans go there, and what exactly it is. I certainly don't believe non-believers receive eternal torment after they die. I believe their souls are annihilated. The Bible mentions hell plenty of times so it must exist, but just exactly what hell is I have no friken clue.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:12:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Then you never really were an atheist or agnostic if you only converted because you feared you would die.
I miss the old members.
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:18:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:51:58 AM, phantom wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

Hell certainly exists. The question is whether it's a place of eternal torment, if humans go there, and what exactly it is. I certainly don't believe non-believers receive eternal torment after they die. I believe their souls are annihilated. The Bible mentions hell plenty of times so it must exist, but just exactly what hell is I have no friken clue.

Hell doesn't exist!! What the Bible means by hell is about a emotional period of time where everything is wrong for you. Why would God torment souls for making 1 mistake even though they were Christians. Why woule he destroy people for not believing in him! I say it isn't right and hell certainly doesn't exist.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:19:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 1:05:18 AM, Skyhook wrote:
Thanks for sharing that. I really appreciate the honesty. Quite honestly, yeah the problem of hell (and evil as well) are very powerful arguments against theism. I'd be lying to you if I said they don't bother me because the fact of the matter is, I actually lose sleep just thinking about them.

As for hell, at the moment, I'd say I'm agnostic to its existence (even though as a Catholic, I should accept it exists). Recently, I've been more focused on the problem of evil, but hell is something on my mind that I should wrestle more with, and will soon.

The problem of evil is actually a pretty weak argument against theism (or Christianity, specifically). It starts from a weak premise that an all-powerful, all-loving God would have absolutely no reason to allow evil to exist in the world when in actuality, there are very good reasons that He allows it.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:21:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:18:36 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:51:58 AM, phantom wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

Hell certainly exists. The question is whether it's a place of eternal torment, if humans go there, and what exactly it is. I certainly don't believe non-believers receive eternal torment after they die. I believe their souls are annihilated. The Bible mentions hell plenty of times so it must exist, but just exactly what hell is I have no friken clue.

Hell doesn't exist!! What the Bible means by hell is about a emotional period of time where everything is wrong for you. Why would God torment souls for making 1 mistake even though they were Christians. Why woule he destroy people for not believing in him! I say it isn't right and hell certainly doesn't exist.

Learn to read
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:23:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:21:42 PM, phantom wrote:
At 3/5/2012 12:18:36 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:51:58 AM, phantom wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

Hell certainly exists. The question is whether it's a place of eternal torment, if humans go there, and what exactly it is. I certainly don't believe non-believers receive eternal torment after they die. I believe their souls are annihilated. The Bible mentions hell plenty of times so it must exist, but just exactly what hell is I have no friken clue.

Hell doesn't exist!! What the Bible means by hell is about a emotional period of time where everything is wrong for you. Why would God torment souls for making 1 mistake even though they were Christians. Why woule he destroy people for not believing in him! I say it isn't right and hell certainly doesn't exist.

Learn to read

Ad hominems are certainly not going to help your case.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:29:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:23:23 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 3/5/2012 12:21:42 PM, phantom wrote:
At 3/5/2012 12:18:36 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:51:58 AM, phantom wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

Hell certainly exists. The question is whether it's a place of eternal torment, if humans go there, and what exactly it is. I certainly don't believe non-believers receive eternal torment after they die. I believe their souls are annihilated. The Bible mentions hell plenty of times so it must exist, but just exactly what hell is I have no friken clue.

Hell doesn't exist!! What the Bible means by hell is about a emotional period of time where everything is wrong for you. Why would God torment souls for making 1 mistake even though they were Christians. Why woule he destroy people for not believing in him! I say it isn't right and hell certainly doesn't exist.

Learn to read

Ad hominems are certainly not going to help your case.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:56:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

So you base your beliefs on what you want? You are a Christian, yet dont like the whole package so you say "I dont like this doctrine so let me change it into one I like."

Sorry, but thats not how it works.

Also, your idea about hell is not compatible with the Bible and completely contradicts it.

"Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire."
-- Revelations 20:14

.
.
.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 1:01:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:18:36 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:51:58 AM, phantom wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

Hell certainly exists. The question is whether it's a place of eternal torment, if humans go there, and what exactly it is. I certainly don't believe non-believers receive eternal torment after they die. I believe their souls are annihilated. The Bible mentions hell plenty of times so it must exist, but just exactly what hell is I have no friken clue.

Hell doesn't exist!! What the Bible means by hell is about a emotional period of time where everything is wrong for you. Why would God torment souls for making 1 mistake even though they were Christians. Why woule he destroy people for not believing in him! I say it isn't right and hell certainly doesn't exist.

And who are you that what you say is true just by virtue of you saying it?
Skyhook
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 1:41:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:19:12 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 3/5/2012 1:05:18 AM, Skyhook wrote:
Thanks for sharing that. I really appreciate the honesty. Quite honestly, yeah the problem of hell (and evil as well) are very powerful arguments against theism. I'd be lying to you if I said they don't bother me because the fact of the matter is, I actually lose sleep just thinking about them.

As for hell, at the moment, I'd say I'm agnostic to its existence (even though as a Catholic, I should accept it exists). Recently, I've been more focused on the problem of evil, but hell is something on my mind that I should wrestle more with, and will soon.

The problem of evil is actually a pretty weak argument against theism (or Christianity, specifically). It starts from a weak premise that an all-powerful, all-loving God would have absolutely no reason to allow evil to exist in the world when in actuality, there are very good reasons that He allows it.

Perhaps I should have clarified. It's not the logical problem of evil that bothers me, it's more so the evidential argument from evil, which granted it doesn't argue that God and evil are logically incompatible but makes the less bold claim that it is probable God doesn't exist given the gratuitous suffering in the world. So far from what I can tell, the theist response to the evidential argument from evil is skeptic theism, and being perfectly honest, I don't find that route satisfactory. I find it to be morally stagnant.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 4:45:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 1:41:59 PM, Skyhook wrote:
At 3/5/2012 12:19:12 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 3/5/2012 1:05:18 AM, Skyhook wrote:
Thanks for sharing that. I really appreciate the honesty. Quite honestly, yeah the problem of hell (and evil as well) are very powerful arguments against theism. I'd be lying to you if I said they don't bother me because the fact of the matter is, I actually lose sleep just thinking about them.

As for hell, at the moment, I'd say I'm agnostic to its existence (even though as a Catholic, I should accept it exists). Recently, I've been more focused on the problem of evil, but hell is something on my mind that I should wrestle more with, and will soon.

The problem of evil is actually a pretty weak argument against theism (or Christianity, specifically). It starts from a weak premise that an all-powerful, all-loving God would have absolutely no reason to allow evil to exist in the world when in actuality, there are very good reasons that He allows it.

Perhaps I should have clarified. It's not the logical problem of evil that bothers me, it's more so the evidential argument from evil, which granted it doesn't argue that God and evil are logically incompatible but makes the less bold claim that it is probable God doesn't exist given the gratuitous suffering in the world. So far from what I can tell, the theist response to the evidential argument from evil is skeptic theism, and being perfectly honest, I don't find that route satisfactory. I find it to be morally stagnant.

Tell me when you find a good answer to this one. This has always been the way I've phrased it and being an atheist I've always left it at this, but if you come across something do share.
Skyhook
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 6:30:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 4:45:59 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 3/5/2012 1:41:59 PM, Skyhook wrote:
At 3/5/2012 12:19:12 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 3/5/2012 1:05:18 AM, Skyhook wrote:
Thanks for sharing that. I really appreciate the honesty. Quite honestly, yeah the problem of hell (and evil as well) are very powerful arguments against theism. I'd be lying to you if I said they don't bother me because the fact of the matter is, I actually lose sleep just thinking about them.

As for hell, at the moment, I'd say I'm agnostic to its existence (even though as a Catholic, I should accept it exists). Recently, I've been more focused on the problem of evil, but hell is something on my mind that I should wrestle more with, and will soon.

The problem of evil is actually a pretty weak argument against theism (or Christianity, specifically). It starts from a weak premise that an all-powerful, all-loving God would have absolutely no reason to allow evil to exist in the world when in actuality, there are very good reasons that He allows it.

Perhaps I should have clarified. It's not the logical problem of evil that bothers me, it's more so the evidential argument from evil, which granted it doesn't argue that God and evil are logically incompatible but makes the less bold claim that it is probable God doesn't exist given the gratuitous suffering in the world. So far from what I can tell, the theist response to the evidential argument from evil is skeptic theism, and being perfectly honest, I don't find that route satisfactory. I find it to be morally stagnant.

Tell me when you find a good answer to this one. This has always been the way I've phrased it and being an atheist I've always left it at this, but if you come across something do share.

Yeah, most definitely. I've just ordered the "Evidential Argument from Evil" by Daniel Howard-Syder (as well as other philosophers like William Rowe, Plantinga, etc. making individual article contributions). It's gotten rave reviews, so I'm hoping it won't disappoint. I think once I finish, if there's anything profound to be taken out of it, besides skeptic theism, I'll defintely make a thread about it.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 6:38:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:41:57 PM, kogline wrote:
i was mostly agnostic and occasionally athiest from about 14 to 21, but i converted back a few days ago. ive been having really bad anxiety for about 6 months, both general anxiety and health anxiety. i finally felt that my fear of dying was more a fear of what would happen after i die, and thats pretty much what brought me back. if i was as worried as i have been then thats evidence that i believe in it. and i have been feeling better and been generally happier since i decided to come back to it.

its going to be a bit tough changing my opinions/ways on some of the things, i havent told a lie for days and i used to lie constantly. but overall i think its worth it.

my question is, do you guys ever get worried about stuff like this? do you worry about what might happen after you die? just curious to see what you guys have to say about this, especially since i know alot of you are pretty aggresively non-religious. like i was just a few days ago lol.

congrats! I just converted less than six months ago. So if you'd like someone to talk to about it, pm me :)

As far as death goes, I've thought about it a lot over the years. I was never scared about it, but converting completely changed my opinion on it. Finding God took much stress away, in general. Devloping a relationship with Him is a very life-changing, but challenging, process.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:01:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 3:00:57 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Well as long as you're happy, that's the main thing.

The thing for me is, I haven't ever believed in God, so I don't correlate any feelings of good towards religious belief and practises. That stuff gets put into your head when you're a kid and is very difficult to get out.

I was brought up by a atheistic wiccan and when I realised magic didn't work, I pretty much became an Atheist. I smoked a lot of pot and thought about it and occasionally proved to myself that God doesn't exist and those thoughts remain regardless of state of mind. I am still yet unable to put those thoughts adequately into words and I persist on trying, so excuse me.

I truly believe that God doesn't exist and assuming we don't destroy ourselves, we will eventually be able to explain how everything works, including the birth of Universes and the spontaneous formation of life on Earth (and almost certainly other planets) with mathematics.

I don't believe in hell, hell, I don't even believe in morality. I believe everything has a physical cause and that, again, that math can explain the universe. I put faith in science because it works. For all intents and purposes and despite research and reading, I can't seem to find a way to come into contact with God in any way I would deem unexplainable. I have truly tried to contact God and nothing. I think about it all the time and I'm yet to have any kind of epiphany where I though "Wow, God does exist..." Nothing remotely supernatural has ever happened to me my entire life. My uncle, who I loved, dying on the day of my 21st birthday party? Yeah, thanks God.

I like to think I'm a good person. I have a good job and I'm happy to go to work. I have a good relationship (with an Atheist) and the only problem I have is not having the money to do all the things I need and want to do. I don't hurt anyone. I'm charitable and kind. I like helping people. I do everything I do because it makes me happy and being a good person makes me feel happy.

And I truly believe that there are people out there harming other people because of their religious beliefs and they need to be stopped.

Any God that would send me to hell for eternal torment is not worthy of consideration let alone worship.

I wouldn't say you're *always* a good person. I mean, there's mafia. No one's a good person there. The one thing I find funny about this post is that while you can't put in to words why you don't believe in God, I can't put into words why I do believe in God. That's why I never get into religious arguments.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:04:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 5:54:20 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 3/5/2012 5:38:06 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
I tend to not think about the subject of death. Once I die, I'm in God's hands. I'll just lead as good a life I can. I avoid the topic because, while I'm certain of God and Christ, I'm not certain of an afterlife and just disappearing scare the hell out of me.

Death is the ultimate peace. There is no need to be afraid. The only afterlife is the memories you leave behind.

Besides, Christ promised an afterlife and you are certain of him, right?

From my understanding, he promises resurrection. I haven't a clue how that's to manifest itself, however. Do we all suddenly come back to life one day? Do we roam the earth as ghosts? Do we live in Heaven or get d@mned to Hell? I believe in God, yes. And I believe in Jesus Christ, but I haven't a clue what to expect with the afterlife. While most unknowns don't phase me to the extent where I could lose sleep over it, this one does.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:08:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

Hell is the place where Satan dwells. I don't believe people will go for one mistake. Even if they make many, many mistakes, they can still get into Heave if they're truly sorry. People like Hitler, however, aren't going to make it into Heaven. That's what I believe at least.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:10:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:18:36 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:51:58 AM, phantom wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:47:01 AM, Viper-King wrote:
A good God would not create a hell. People testify that pastors who have served their whole lives for God went to hell just because of 1 mistake. I say "Nope"! I think of hell as an emotional state on this Earth. The afterlife is a huge argument and I for one believe that if God would throw 1 person into hell. He's not a god I would want. Hell is most likely the emotional struggle of our lives. Stress, anger, sorrow, and other emotions influence us greatly!

Hell certainly exists. The question is whether it's a place of eternal torment, if humans go there, and what exactly it is. I certainly don't believe non-believers receive eternal torment after they die. I believe their souls are annihilated. The Bible mentions hell plenty of times so it must exist, but just exactly what hell is I have no friken clue.

Hell doesn't exist!! What the Bible means by hell is about a emotional period of time where everything is wrong for you. Why would God torment souls for making 1 mistake even though they were Christians. Why woule he destroy people for not believing in him! I say it isn't right and hell certainly doesn't exist.

It's not your place to judge God's actions. And he is *not* the benevolent God everyone seems to think He is. I don't know where that started, but He's not gumdrops and sunbeams to those who wrong him. Do I think someone's going to burn in hell for being an atheist? If they led a good life, then no.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:12:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:19:12 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 3/5/2012 1:05:18 AM, Skyhook wrote:
Thanks for sharing that. I really appreciate the honesty. Quite honestly, yeah the problem of hell (and evil as well) are very powerful arguments against theism. I'd be lying to you if I said they don't bother me because the fact of the matter is, I actually lose sleep just thinking about them.

As for hell, at the moment, I'd say I'm agnostic to its existence (even though as a Catholic, I should accept it exists). Recently, I've been more focused on the problem of evil, but hell is something on my mind that I should wrestle more with, and will soon.

The problem of evil is actually a pretty weak argument against theism (or Christianity, specifically). It starts from a weak premise that an all-powerful, all-loving God would have absolutely no reason to allow evil to exist in the world when in actuality, there are very good reasons that He allows it.

The main argument against the evil thing is free will. God granted us free will, and not permitting evil would take that away from us.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:15:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 6:38:08 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 3/4/2012 11:41:57 PM, kogline wrote:
i was mostly agnostic and occasionally athiest from about 14 to 21, but i converted back a few days ago. ive been having really bad anxiety for about 6 months, both general anxiety and health anxiety. i finally felt that my fear of dying was more a fear of what would happen after i die, and thats pretty much what brought me back. if i was as worried as i have been then thats evidence that i believe in it. and i have been feeling better and been generally happier since i decided to come back to it.

its going to be a bit tough changing my opinions/ways on some of the things, i havent told a lie for days and i used to lie constantly. but overall i think its worth it.

my question is, do you guys ever get worried about stuff like this? do you worry about what might happen after you die? just curious to see what you guys have to say about this, especially since i know alot of you are pretty aggresively non-religious. like i was just a few days ago lol.

congrats! I just converted less than six months ago. So if you'd like someone to talk to about it, pm me :)

As far as death goes, I've thought about it a lot over the years. I was never scared about it, but converting completely changed my opinion on it. Finding God took much stress away, in general. Devloping a relationship with Him is a very life-changing, but challenging, process.

I'm still in the process of making it all official. I get baptized and confirmed May 6.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena