Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Is there anything that shocks you nowadays?

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 10:41:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm increasingly finding out that nothing on the news is capable of causing me to be shocked.

Fathers routinely rape their daughters.
People are routinely dying of callousness and deliberate and malicious behaviors of despotic dictators
Thousands of people are routinely dying in conflicts

All this and more, and I don't even feel nothing.

Is something wrong with me? :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 10:51:14 AM
At 3/22/2012 10:41:40 AM, Indophile wrote:
I'm increasingly finding out that nothing on the news is capable of causing me to be shocked.

People are routinely dying of callousness and deliberate and malicious behaviors of despotic dictators

http://plato.stanford.edu...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 11:37:02 AM

Is something wrong with me?:

The Christian/Right-owned Chick-Fil-A has made disparaging comments about gay marriage causing many in the homosexual movement to boycott. The shocking thing is that drag queens will happily sell-out on account of those waffle fries.

Shocking, I know.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 12:39:56 PM
I saw a video of a guy getting beheaded a while back. That was probably the worst thing I've seen in a long time. They chopped at his neck rather slowly. There was a point where he was gurgling and choking and blood was spurting out. I felt as if i were going to faint when I watched it, even though I couldn't really look away.

I don't think much could top that O.o
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 12:51:08 PM
At 3/22/2012 12:39:56 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
I saw a video of a guy getting beheaded a while back. That was probably the worst thing I've seen in a long time. They chopped at his neck rather slowly. There was a point where he was gurgling and choking and blood was spurting out. I felt as if i were going to faint when I watched it, even though I couldn't really look away.

Oh there is....
....but I'd probably get flagged and reported for unecessarily vulgar content
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:22:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, but the news that fathers rape their daughters doesn't shock me. If I'm shown a video of such a happening, I assure you, I'll be shocked.

This incident that you recounted falls under the same category. The news that people get beheaded for silly reasons doesn't shock me. If they show me a video of the actual beheading, then of course I'll be shocked.

When I heard for the very first time that a father has raped his daughter, I was shocked beyond words. Can such a thing happen in the world? Maybe I was more naive then, or whatever.

But, anything I hear nowadays, is incapable of shocking me, and I hear of unbelievably sad things like 8 year olds hanging themselves, babies getting raped by grandfathers, gangs of youth molesting the disabled, etc.

Seeing it with my own eyes still shocks me plenty, I assure you.
And it will be true.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:39:55 PM
Indophile's face. Seriously I saw it one time and went blind. Little babies cry. Uatu the watcher killed himself to remove the image. Barack Obama ... well actually he's fine with it. But Stevie Wonder had it described to him, and he went insane. Jesus turned to the dark side of the force after seeing it. Chuck Norris hung up his roundhouse kicks. Everywhere he goes reflective surfaces shatter, water evaporates. Camera's explode.
Damn that kid is ugly.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:42:12 PM
At 3/22/2012 1:22:14 PM, Indophile wrote:

Don't get me wrong, but the news that fathers rape their daughters doesn't shock me. If I'm shown a video of such a happening, I assure you, I'll be shocked.

This incident that you recounted falls under the same category. The news that people get beheaded for silly reasons doesn't shock me. If they show me a video of the actual beheading, then of course I'll be shocked.

When I heard for the very first time that a father has raped his daughter, I was shocked beyond words. Can such a thing happen in the world? Maybe I was more naive then, or whatever.

Welcome to the concept of desensitization :)

But, anything I hear nowadays, is incapable of shocking me, and I hear of unbelievably sad things like 8 year olds hanging themselves, babies getting raped by grandfathers, gangs of youth molesting the disabled, etc.

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:50:15 PM
At 3/22/2012 1:39:55 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Indophile's face. Seriously I saw it one time and went blind. Little babies cry. Uatu the watcher killed himself to remove the image. Barack Obama ... well actually he's fine with it. But Stevie Wonder had it described to him, and he went insane. Jesus turned to the dark side of the force after seeing it. Chuck Norris hung up his roundhouse kicks. Everywhere he goes reflective surfaces shatter, water evaporates. Camera's explode.
Damn that kid is ugly.

As you might have noticed, I don't have my pic on my profile.

This is just one of the many mercies that I routinely bestow on the world :)
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:50:52 PM
At 3/22/2012 1:42:12 PM, nonentity wrote:

Yes, that's what it is. But how desensitized are you?

And it will be true.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 4:08:31 PM
At 3/22/2012 1:50:52 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 3/22/2012 1:42:12 PM, nonentity wrote:

Yes, that's what it is. But how desensitized are you?

Depends. Today I walked right past a guy in a wheelchair asking me for change with $250 worth of hair extensions I'd just bought in my hand. In my defense, I had literally zero dollars on me (I was on my way to the bank). But I still felt a little cold.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 4:41:25 PM
Not shocked by anything, eh?

How about when faced with the mysterious majesty of fvcking magnets. How do they work?

Anyway, I wish I weren't shocked by things. That would be awesome.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 7:40:40 PM
Go out to Wal Mart sometime and I'm sure how incredibly stupid some people are will shock you.
Even if it doesn't it's entertaining
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 12:24:59 AM

Link? I want too see that.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 12:52:07 AM
At 3/23/2012 12:24:59 AM, phantom wrote:

Oh man, I don't know where exactly to find it and don't want to go looking again.

Search for "beheading in mexico drug cartel"

There are a lot of videos that come up but there was a particular one that I saw that really got to me. The whole thing took about 2-3 minutes. They slowly carved away at his neck with a knife. O.o
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 12:56:01 AM
At 3/23/2012 12:52:07 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 3/23/2012 12:24:59 AM, phantom wrote:

Oh man, I don't know where exactly to find it and don't want to go looking again.

Search for "beheading in mexico drug cartel"

There are a lot of videos that come up but there was a particular one that I saw that really got to me. The whole thing took about 2-3 minutes. They slowly carved away at his neck with a knife. O.o

Awesome. Gracias
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 12:57:04 AM

Can you post a link to the video
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 12:57:49 AM
At 3/23/2012 12:57:04 AM, sadolite wrote:

OMG it is crazy. Watch at your own discretion.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 1:11:48 AM
At 3/23/2012 12:57:04 AM, sadolite wrote:

ehh, it's one that is very hard to find because it is so gruesome. different than the one phantom just posted. my bf showed it to me, so i'll ask him tomorrow what the exact words were that he used to find it.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 8:59:53 PM

If you'd like to know whether or not you are desensitized, see how long it takes before you want to stop watching this clip.

If you watch the full thing without any urge to turn it off, you're f*cked and may need counseling.

http://www.bestgore.com...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 9:02:23 PM
At 3/23/2012 8:59:53 PM, Wnope wrote:

If you'd like to know whether or not you are desensitized, see how long it takes before you want to stop watching this clip.

If you watch the full thing without any urge to turn it off, you're f*cked and may need counseling.

http://www.bestgore.com...

I'm pretty upset that I even clicked on the link
Debate.org Moderator
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 2:54:09 AM
So Indophile starts a thread complaining that so much horrible things are becoming common occurrence that nothing seems to shock him. So everyone promptly volunteers to shock him!

Ah Well...
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
misspelled
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 3:44:00 AM
We're becoming desenitized to the world and humanity. We're doing things to each other that indicates we're out to destroy oursevles. Unfortunately that's nothing new. We've been doing that since we walked this Earth.

What continues to shock me is abortion. It's a bunch of propagana that women are told it's their reproductive right and it's their bodies. They forget the rights of the father and the other human involved. (the baby).

They rip an innocent baby apart in its mothers womb and it's legal. They use excuses instead of emphasizing birth control. Abortion isn't NECESSARY.

So why is it legl? Because it's a BUSINESS. There are millions of dollars involved, and it was the money-makers who lobbied for it. They tell women lies that they "care" about them personally, but they only care about the money. They don't care about the long term psychological effects, like guilt, remorse, depression, anger, etc. They decide who should have human rights and who shouldn't, which is a dangerous path to tread. I wonder who could be next.

Abortion is not the practice of a progressed society. It shocks me how people are brainwashed into thinking an unborn baby is not human. It shocks me that people make a life, then kill it. It shocks me that women are brainwashed by a money-hungry industry that could care less about them. The women themselves are victims; they often take all the blame on themselves when we all let this happen. It shocks me that the younger generation think it's perfectly ok to kill a baby. They laugh at the sight of another human being cut up or killed.

It shocks me that someone would make a baby with the knowledge they CAN kill it. That just doesn't make sense. Out of all the stupid things humans do, abortion shocks me the most. What's worse, it shocks me when people make fun of me for saying this.