Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Beliefs

Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 4:49:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You know, I have acquired many beliefs since becoming a member of DDO. I am so very grateful for that. It's funny because a lot of the beliefs that I've gained since coming here have been more or less spiritual in nature. I have always been a spiritual person, and I can say that I've always had these beliefs, but I didn't know I believed them. Or rather… they were not yet actualized.

So I encourage you all to join me in listing some of the beliefs that you have acquired, or changed, since coming to DDO. This is not a place to debate or refute others beliefs. It is a place to share. A place to show your appreciation by expressing how DDO has allowed you to grow.

My Beliefs:

I am a Theist. I believe that the universe had a cause, and because that cause lived outside of space and time, it is likely to be omnipresent and omnipotent.

I believe that due to objective laws, objective morality, a finely tuned universe, and a complex universe, the cause of our creation is intelligent.

I believe that the Christian outlook and The bible make a clear sense of the world, although I have some beliefs that stray from commonly accepted christian views. I believe that Jesus is the Messiah and the way into eternal life. I believe that life holds the most inherent value, and though humans prioritize their own life over other forms of life, all life is valuable.

I believe that society works best in at atmosphere where equality and freedom are balanced equally. Though I tend towards equality, one should not hold precedence over the other in formation of law. A balance between equality and freedom behooves the greater amount of people, which is the most equal way.

Just a few beliefs off the top of the dome. There is tons I left out but this shall suffice for now. I encourage you all to share your beliefs as well!!
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:50:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Before I came to DDO, I actually was an anti-abortion advocate. I read some fantastic debates about the topic that convinced me otherwise. In other words, I have become slightly more leftist as a result of DDO (this is obviously not the usual trend, I guess). I also became more Atheist. I used to be very religious, and when I came to DDO, I was essentially a Deist. Since the, I have become an Atheist.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:09:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I look out into the world and I imagine myself as I really am: I am a single person among many on this planet, which is but one planet among many revolving around a star, which is but one star among many in this galaxy, which is but one galaxy among many in this universe.

I am, essentially, a small cog in a largest of machines. Yet, I cannot eliminate the feeling that it wouldn't make sense if this were all purposeless, if humanity is but an insignificant blip on the timeline of history; if reality is simply a fluke.

And yet, I am an atheist. Why? Because the emotional siren call of "purpose," which tugs at us all, is a far cry from believing that the universe is the purposeful creation of some "being." Especially when humans factor into that purpose to any degree.

I believe that the future is in our hands, and only our hands. If we want to live forever, or be saved, or have a purpose, it is up to us to make such ends a reality. I am an atheist, but I am not without faith. I place my faith in humanity. Why? Because two working hands accomplishes more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

I understand, and recognize, that I am the product of billions of years of evolution. My instincts and my inductions are suited to the everyday. They are best (though not necessarily good or correct) in dealing with situations that meet certain mundane criteria. Not too big, not too small, not too short a time frame, not too long. I understand that regarding anything outside that very small window, my intuitions are crap. Human beings were not designed to intuit the universe on galactic or quantum levels, yet it is only at these levels can we accurately describe the universe and answer the unanswered questions. We should be suspicious of anything that does make sense, and be careful not to reject something just because it doesn't make sense.

So, wherever my intuitions and emotions take me, I realize that they alone will not be able to bring me to the answers, and answers derived solely on them are those invented by my mind to appeal to my personal sensitibilities. To allow me to function day-to-day, to provide me solace against my fears, and to act as a bulwark against that which would confuse me into inaction.

I believe I have the capability to decieve myself, and I am constantly on guard to not do that. I will accept nothing simply because it may "feel" right or "make sense." I constantly reevaluate my beliefs and expose myself to ideas which contradict those which I already accept. I try not to forge emotional attachments to that which I believe, lest it prevent me from recognizing when it is wrong and abandoning it. I know that my set of beliefs is, when taken in its entirety, is contradictory and inconsistent, and that this is part of being human. This is not a concession, though, and I try to weed out such inconsistencies wherever I find them.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:18:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Basic Beliefs:

I'm a non Denominational Christian. I love God so much, and really hate that I don't always honor him like I should. Since coming to DDO I have become stronger in my faith. Even though I refuse to debate religion, whenever someone says something that really challenges my faith I am able to research it to better understand. I've come to the point where if I don't understand something I don't become one of the people who immediately loose their faith. People aren't gonna like this, (and this is kinda embarrassing to say) but I do pray for some of you guys. Not being some goody-two-shoe or anything, but I really do love you all and want you to be able to experience God. To see past his fake followers and hypocrites (even though sometimes I am one.)

I use to be heavily Pro War for some reason. I haven't a clue why. After joining DDO I have become much more anti-offensive war.
Still a republican, but DDO has made me a fiscal moderate libertarian. I've fallen in love with economics. Lately I've been studying Austrian Econ. Heck, I've even started investing in some silver.

I see a ton of flaws all political parties. Republicans are not the Holy magnificent ones like I use to think, nor are they all just greedy corporations.

And I believe all women should make sammiches!!!
kfc
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:22:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
We seem to be opposites LDF. I was originally a spiritual Christian until I came to DDO, and gained some beliefs I would have thought idiotic 9 months ago.

I am an atheist for many long reasons. The only reason why I was a Christian for so long is because I was scared to question it.

I became a hard determinist because it seems to be the best explanation of the Universe. I've always had some sympathy for people ostracized in society, and I'm genuinely convinced that freewill is impossible.

I became a moral nihilist because a world governed by physics can have no oughts but only IS. Ought is a human invention, and so that makes it subjective.

I am and probably have always been liberal because I believe that the economy is a man-made government-run creation, and so long as government exists it has the responsibility of ensuring that people are not harmed in this system. Otherwise if there is no government, the responsibility is man's. Since we live in a world where you cannot remove yourself from the economy and be self-sufficient, it's only fair that the disadvantaged are protected.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:32:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't think I've really acquired many (or any) new beliefs or philosophies since coming to DDO. It may just be that most of the debaters I've encountered weren't that good (though some definitely were), I haven't yet encountered any arguments against mine that are so dynamic that I should change my views.

That's not to say I'm closed-minded. I'm seriously not. My views today are radically different than they were ten years ago. It's just that most of the dynamic arguments I've encountered have been in my own personal study, reading a plethora of different books on a plethora of different subjects.

I am still a conservative Christian with conservative beliefs, and very much pro-life. I will say that the numerous debates I've had on the abortion issue have helped me to tweak my arguments some and have shown me where some of my arguments are weak and could be better. So if anything, my time on DDO has helped me to refine my arguments against abortion.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:44:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Interesting :)

To be honest, I joined DDO so long ago I barely remember what I was like but I'll give this a stab.

I was an anti-theist for sure. I hated everything about religion, especially Christianity. I've gone through some life experiences and some may remember a time when I was really searching to believe in God. At this point I would call myself an indifferent atheist, if that's even a term. I wouldn't call myself agnostic because I don't believe in God, I don't care to learn about God, and I don't care to know any more about religion or God, nor do I see why I should have to in order to disbelieve in something. Most theists don't learn about every other religion or truly give them all a fair shot before coming to their conclusions... but I can now respect other people's beliefs, whereas when I first joined DDO I had no respect.

I was definitely a lot more liberal when I joined so DDO has made me more conservative. My profile now says "con late term abortion" when before I was Pro. And personally, when I first joined DDO, if I had gotten pregnant I would've gotten an abortion without a second thought. And I believed that if I ever got pregnant at a time when I wasn't ready (ie. before 30), I wouldn't even think twice about getting an abortion. I came to the realization just earlier this year that abortion is no longer an option that I would ever use, though I respect other people's choices to have one. Additionally, I was very liberal about welfare, taxes, and insurance, but I've become more conservative about that. I've been undecided about welfare for a while now, but leaning on the Con side. Only recently I've discovered that I'm against Progressive Tax. On here I'd still be considered liberal I guess, but I took a Human Rights course last summer where I disagreed with my class on pretty much EVERYTHING.

Philosophically, my outlook has completely changed. When I first came here, I was an existential nihilist. I couldn't have cared less whether I lived or died the next day and, to be honest, I would have preferred the latter. I still don't know if I believe whether life has objective meaning, but I no longer think that matters.
yang.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:47:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 10:45:04 AM, tulle wrote:
Oh and I forgot to add that I became a Determinist because of DDO, namely because of Danielle's arguments.

+1 :)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:26:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh, well look at the caliber of these posts! So much honesty and eloquence. I'm undecided on whether I want to respond to them or leave them be for what they are, so for now I just want to say: I love DDO! We are such a diverse group of people all with the simple goal of the search for knowledge. Keep posting your beliefs, people!!
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:33:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
When I first joined, there were a lot of moral nihilist as members. This motivated me to think through the idea of moral realism and eventually I became a realist. Previously, I wouldn't have known how to argue against an irrealist.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:35:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 11:26:47 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Oh, well look at the caliber of these posts! So much honesty and eloquence. I'm undecided on whether I want to respond to them or leave them be for what they are, so for now I just want to say: I love DDO! We are such a diverse group of people all with the simple goal of the search for knowledge. Keep posting your beliefs, people!!

What is this? An attempt to raise the caliber of posts here? For shame. I expect 5 pointless sex threads to make up for this travesty.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:42:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 11:35:21 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 4/10/2012 11:26:47 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Oh, well look at the caliber of these posts! So much honesty and eloquence. I'm undecided on whether I want to respond to them or leave them be for what they are, so for now I just want to say: I love DDO! We are such a diverse group of people all with the simple goal of the search for knowledge. Keep posting your beliefs, people!!

What is this? An attempt to raise the caliber of posts here? For shame. I expect 5 pointless sex threads to make up for this travesty.

You are welcome to join our threads any time, drafter :p
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 1:00:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Religion
I believe that all religions are both correct, in that they seek to expose patterns beyond our understanding, as well as incorrect, in that their followers are arrogant to the point that they would declare they have determined exactly what these patterns are. "God" could exist in some form but I doubt most religious followers have the slightest idea what it is.

Politics
I used to be pretty excited about politics, but I have become increasingly disheartened with the political process in the last few years. I don't see that any real "progress" is being made and I don't believe any good is going to come from the system we have in place. Change will come, and when it does it will be by force - not through voting, legislation, etc. This force will likely be in the form of energy and resource crises.
Rob
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 1:16:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Big Issues (I'm too lazy to think of other beliefs)

Death penalty pro -> Con
Border fence pro -> undecided
Euthanasia Con -> Undecided
Civil unions Con -> Pro
Gay Marriage Con -> Pro
Medical Marijuana Con -> Pro
Bush - Pro -> Con
War in Afghanistan Pro -> undecided
War in IranPro -> Con
War in Iraq Pro -> Con
Water boarding Pro -> undecided
Welfare Pro -> undecided

Religious path
Christian -> Agnostic -> Christian -> Agnostic -> Christian (Like a see-saw)

Political path
Conservative -> moderate
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 1:25:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As far as religious beliefs, I don't have any. People often confuse not having religious beliefs with a belief in "no god." That isn't accurate as I don't believe in "no god" but rather don't believe that what most people consider "god" or "creator" exists. I feel that that since Theists are making a positive claim that god exists, it is their responsibility to prove that god does in fact exist. I can't prove that something doesn't exist (I'd have to turn over every stone in the world to prove that Magical Chocolate Frog Cards don't exist for instance). Therefore my default position is that there isn't a supernatural creator. Of all the scientific theories that have been put forth to explain how we came into existence, the Big Bang makes the most sense and has the most evidence in favor of it. I will consider it true until a better scientific explanation is given.

I don't believe that any religious beliefs or texts are accurate - at least the texts for the major religions of the world. They were written by humans for humans and most of what is in there is mythology, folklore, and fiction. The writers of these books conducted no scientific research, experiments, or observations and pretty much wrote whatever they fancied. There are no lab reports or computer simulations to back up their assertions.

Politically, I am a liberal who also believes in free markets. Many people unfortunately tend to mix liberals with socialists both of which are distinct ideologies. I have always associated conservatism with backwardness (may not necessarily be true). I think Liberals value equality and freedom more than tradition. I believe that Abortion should be the choice of the parents (I'll probably find an appropriate thread to discuss this in because I don't believe that the father should be left out of the decision of whether or not to abort). I don't think we should build a border fence because we don't have one with Canada and stopping people from Mexico just isn't fair and is almost a form of economic discrimination.

I am against environmentalism. This is my pet peeve and has the potential to irritate me quite a bit. For instance, my college started a program called "going green" where they stopped using plastic bags and provided no bags in any of the in-college restaurants. That was irritating because all they are trying to do is save a little bit of money. It sometimes makes me pissed off enough that I dream of building a huge corporation that will completely destroy the environment and shove it up the butss of the "going green" people. I also get irritated if I go into a fast food restaurant and ask for napkins, I get one napkin. When I ask for a napkin, I expect 10 and feel like telling the cashier that they are a moron for handing me just one. So yeah, all this crap about environmentalism makes me want to go chop down a tree. But I digress.

To end on a positive note, I think DDO has been a very big influence on me since I became a member. I have learned a lot of things like Logic and Morality and how to construct arguments of such a nature by reading debates on the site. I think it is definitely made me a better person overall and a more intelligent one although playing mafia has been an enormous time suck which I have to try to limit in the near future. It won't be too hard though as I am reaching a stage of burnout from it.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 1:30:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This was a really interesting thread. I want to discuss stuff but I decided to let the thread remain free from arguments. I guess I'll make threads in the appropriate forums to argue about this stuff.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 3:53:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have always been the great GeoLaureate8 since day one. See my first debate.

My beliefs have definitely changed since 3 years ago when I joined, but not due to Debate.org. I am on my own journey and my beliefs have changed due to a couple philosophy professors, my personal mentors like Michael Tsarion, David Icke, Sidharttha Buddha, Osho, Krishnamurti, Noam Chomsky, etc., and various life experiences.

But wait! DDO has done something for me; and that is sharpening my critical thinking abilities, introduced me to formal/informal logical fallacies (thx to DDO, I knew em all before even taking courses on logic), strengthening my arguments, plus the things people say spark new thoughts in my head and were the catalyst for me of coming up with new ideas and debate/discussion topics.

.
.
.

.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 4:29:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Religious Beliefs: I am a Freethinker, I have my own individual philosophy, but it draws heavily from Buddhism, Taoism, and Western philosophy as well as a few great modern thinkers.

I believe that reality is a holographic illusion, everything is transient in nature. There is no God, but I believe what the Buddha called Universal Mind. A conscious Universe if you will. I also understand the Universe as the Tao, the flow of the Universe. I believe in the Interconnectedness of reality.

I believe in Two Truth Doctrine. There are conventional truths and ultimate truths. For example, we have a self in conventional understanding and for practical purposes, but ultimately we have no self, no inherent, permanent, isolated self because ultimately everything is all one. Separation is an illusion. Our eyes decode this reality and in the process, discriminates one thing from another. As the Buddha said, every drop is the whole ocean but each drop does not remember this truth.

Political beliefs: I can be described as a Left Libertarian or a Libertarian Totalitarian. I believe in freedom, but I also understand reasonableness and practicality. We need taxes to pay for vital infrastructure like highways and roads. Ef the tax is theft rhetoric. Privately-paid-for toll roads would be nonsense and no individual would buy a highway from Ohio to California and would charge someone else to use it. And people who say eff the toll might buy their own highway, it would be a joke and a mess.

I believe that freedom should be forced. People always argue that Anarchy would never last because theres no one to stop a fascist regime from imposing itself and propping up an oppressive state. And theyre absolutely right.

That's why I believe in a Libertarian Totalitarian state. Freedom should be enforced with an iron fist. A governing body of Ron Pauls and Rand Pauls would destroy every shackle from every non-violent drug offenders, force the TSA to GTFO, force all the global fascists to resign from their chairs of power, abolish the Fed with iron force, mandate legalized drugs everywhere, utterly ban all cencorship.

I also believe that this governing body will consist of the greatest contemporary intellectuals with proven history of good intent and have symposiums conducted similar to ancient Greece. No longer will uneducated, ignorant masses select Illuminati fascists to rule over us.

.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:32:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 1:25:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I can't prove that something doesn't exist (I'd have to turn over every stone in the world to prove that Magical Chocolate Frog Cards don't exist for instance).

http://harrypotter.wikia.com...

Thus, I am Agnostic Christian Deist.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:20:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 11:12:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
My beliefs haven't really changed much since coming here, except becoming more right-wing economically.

O_o
kfc
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:23:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hmmm... well, I haven't been here very long so I haven't really changed too much.

The most I can say is that I have become more open to conservative ideas concerning what "rights" are and where they come from and have come to respect and understand conservative viewpoints more in general.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:41:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 11:23:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
Hmmm... well, I haven't been here very long so I haven't really changed too much.

The most I can say is that I have become more open to conservative ideas concerning what "rights" are and where they come from and have come to respect and understand conservative viewpoints more in general.

Would you like to share some of your beliefs that you already had? What about discordianism appeals to you?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:45:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Geo, I don't necessarily agree with your beliefs, but I see where you are coming from. You remind me of another good friend of mine who is buddhist. He annoys the hell out of my half of the time, but he's like a brother to me and his beliefs come from a very grounded place.

F-16, I want to mention something about your environmental outlook, but i'll save it for another time.

Koopin, I completely agree with a lot of what you say in regards to god.

Drafter, your post was especially eloquent and I appreciate your standpoint on challenging your own beliefs. I think most of us here can relate to that.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:48:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 11:20:50 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 11:12:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
My beliefs haven't really changed much since coming here, except becoming more right-wing economically.

O_o

??
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:51:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 11:48:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 4/10/2012 11:20:50 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 11:12:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
My beliefs haven't really changed much since coming here, except becoming more right-wing economically.

O_o

??

You changed religons like five times I thought.
kfc
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:54:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 11:51:48 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 11:48:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 4/10/2012 11:20:50 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 11:12:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
My beliefs haven't really changed much since coming here, except becoming more right-wing economically.

O_o

??

You changed religons like five times I thought.

Nope, just had phases where I became doubtful. It happens, lol.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:59:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 11:45:05 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Geo, I don't necessarily agree with your beliefs, but I see where you are coming from. You remind me of another good friend of mine who is buddhist. He annoys the hell out of my half of the time, but he's like a brother to me and his beliefs come from a very grounded place.

F-16, I want to mention something about your environmental outlook, but i'll save it for another time.


What is your opinion on environmental issues in general and the recent trend of people becoming more "conscious" about the environment?