Jump to topic:

Personal preference, forums or debates?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:23:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Which do you prefer to argue in, the forums or debates?

I personally like debating in debates. You can exchange long, constructed, more researched arguments with one opponent, sticking to the same topic, then viewers can vote on it, and if they're honest, read the whole thing and offer an RFD. In debates, participants are required to back up their claims with evidence. If you lack a source in one place where it's necessary, the argument will be discounted. You have to be more persuasive in debates, thus toning your debating skills, as you'll have judges reading it afterwards. Furthermore you can have easy access to the debate if you want to go back and see your case. Lastly, the time limit for rounds is excellant for procrasinators like me. If I don't take the time to defend my views I'll have to forfeit a round. Thus I am forced to think, research and form a case. Forum arguments tend to get extremely messy sometimes, and stray to a huge array of topics, with other people jumping in. I like to stick to one topic and debate it. Then have it end when the round limit is reached.

I think I used to like arguing in the forums. There have been times when I've been quite active in the religion forum. Now I don't seem to visit it as often. I'm just not as compelled to argue in the forums as I used to be, for some reason.

That being said, there are positives and negatives to both sides. Debates are much more prone to unfortunate, semantics or definition arguing, where-as semantics in the forums are largely irrelevant and thought of as a strawman.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:27:39 PM
Also, only two spelling mistakes when I ran the spell check! :P
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:55:26 PM
I prefer the forums. I prefer being able to discuss with a bunch of people and have people chime in whenever necessary. I don't come on here to "win" an argument and I'm not really looking for validation in that way. Plus I'm a pretty crappy debater :p I like that, with forums, you can chew things over and don't have a set time limit to respond. And if you're in a debate and your opponent presents lousy arguments, you don't really learn much.
yang.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 12:05:22 AM
At 4/11/2012 11:55:26 PM, tulle wrote:
I prefer the forums. I prefer being able to discuss with a bunch of people and have people chime in whenever necessary. I don't come on here to "win" an argument and I'm not really looking for validation in that way. Plus I'm a pretty crappy debater :p I like that, with forums, you can chew things over and don't have a set time limit to respond. And if you're in a debate and your opponent presents lousy arguments, you don't really learn much.

but in forum posts people can get away with intellectual dishonesty. They have no obligation to respond to arguments. Sometimes if you disprove something, they just don't respond back to you. It often turns into flame wars. They make claims without sources.

I guess forums are good if the people you're talking to are good-natured and just want to have a nice discussion. Many people in the forums aren't like that though
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault