Jump to topic:

Help with Debate

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 8:31:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello. There have been a lot of "help with" threads recently, so I thought I should make my own.

I would like help with debate. Not IRL debate. (Debate isn't offered at my school...WHY WORLD WHY!?) Here debate. Debate on Debate.org.

So, I have two problems. They can be summarized as follows:

1) Procrastination
2) Fear of being destroyed by people who know a whole lot more than I do

So, the first one basically consists of, "If I can put it off til tomorrow, I'll put it off to tomorrow" wich is a very common theme in my life. Anyway, this procrastination hurts me in not just the way which you would think it would (getting cases in on time). It hurts because I like to write my case before I actually put it to debate. Otherwise, it feels wrong. But, I don't like sitting down and writing cases when there is not only homework, but also THE INCREDIBLE POOL OF ADDICTIVENESS KNOWN AS THE FORUMS to contend with. It doesn't help that I have a rather short attention span. So: is there a way to get down to writing cases, or should I just shut and suck up and create the debate?

This leads, unexpectedly, to my second debate blocker: fear of being figuratively punted to Mars by debaters who know much, much more than me on subjects which I want to debate. If I know a few good points on topic X, and the debater who accepts my challenge knows a TON more stuff than I do, then he knows how to refute my points; he knows how to utterly flush me into the sea. I have been in situations IRL and here where I have been surrounded by people who are more knowledgeable than I am, and that's not a fun experience, trying to fight a battle you know you cannot win. However, fighting those David vs. Goliath battles is the only way to gain experience. And I know that many of you have come on here with little more than rants versus the DDO Gods of Olde and survived--and thrived--in this environment. Should I just grit my teeth and bear it against the cold winter of better debaters?

So, in conclusion, I need help in the activity which the site was set up to do. I've had fun when I have, but I haven't often debated. So...suggestions?

(PS: IDK why I created this thread. I guess I should just debate more. Maybe it was all for an unconcious desire for attention. *shrugs* I better get to writing that case...)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 8:42:39 PM
Issue number 1, if its an issue then only debate stuff you are passionate about, dont start or accept debates that you are only halfheartedly into

Issue number 2, that happens all the time but you can take solace in the fact that for every genius on this site, there are 9 idiots ;D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 8:43:22 PM
Yes, you have to just take the chances. For my first 4 debates, my win percentage was 25%. After practice and debating for a few months, my win percentage shot up to 70%. Laziness I would say is the biggest threat, since making a good debate round takes up a lot of time.

I have just lost 3 debates in a row. However, I am not going to quit. You shouldn't either if you feel like you want to debate.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 8:44:56 PM
1.) Your self esteem is low, drink alcohol.

2.) That very well might happen, but hey - you'll be drunk.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 8:49:31 PM
1. Debate topics you're interested in, then once you get skilled at writing you can whip up a rebuttal rather quickly, allowing you to procrastinate.

2. Sorry bro, but the best way to become good at debate is doing it in real life. There are obvious exceptions like Danielle or Roylatham, but on average the people who do real life debate are much more skilled than those who dont, for obvious reasons. You can of course still get good using DDO, it just isnt as easy.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 9:07:31 PM
Thanks for the help.

1) I tend to instigate debates. I guess that's a big plus in "debate topics you are already interested in" category.

2) *Sets sights on the debate horizon, knowing that it's going to be a long, hard journey. I ride.*
*Stumbles*
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 9:52:18 PM
David vs Goliath. Ha. Sounds like my life. I haven't even had time lately to keep up with the site.

Hmm... maybe your problem is you aren't as interested as before. I can see that you want to keep up with this though. Perhaps you should only accept debates with longer rounds.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:00:49 PM
1. I have the same thing here. I always get distracted with the forums when I wamt to type up my argument... the only thing that prevents me from procasting is my immense pride. I will not allow myself to forfeit, never have, never will. So to answer your question, yes, for me it just comes down to sucking it up and doing it, or risk losing the debate due to a forfeit...

2. To me my win record is precious, so I always research my opponent before I challenge them to a debate. I only accept challenges to debaters I know I can beat. As you can see I have few losses, and the ones I do have were to debaters that I underestimated. So yeah, it may be different for you, but I just don't see a point in accepting a debate challenge I know I will lose.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 1:55:53 AM
At 4/17/2012 8:49:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
1. Debate topics you're interested in, then once you get skilled at writing you can whip up a rebuttal rather quickly, allowing you to procrastinate.

This. I start reading my opponent's rounds in my LCA debates when I have 30-45 minutes left nowadays.

2. Sorry bro, but the best way to become good at debate is doing it in real life. There are obvious exceptions like Danielle or Roylatham, but on average the people who do real life debate are much more skilled than those who dont, for obvious reasons. You can of course still get good using DDO, it just isnt as easy.

I would disagree here though. Circuit debate formatting is much different than formatting for the general public. I would say to practice, do a lot of research, and read quality debates.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 3:32:59 AM
I don't know how to fix your first problem; if I did, then I wouldn't have it too.

But as for the second problem, I like being destroyed by people who know way, way more than me. Why? Because then I'll learn something.

I admit, my demeanor comes off as very arrogant sometimes, like I think I know everything, but in reality, I know that even though I'm decently intelligent, I have a lot to learn, so my basic attitude is: "This is my argument. It's the best I can come up with, but if it's still not good enough, then I want you to show me why so I know." Then next time, I won't make the same mistakes.
buckIPDA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 8:50:03 AM
Debate is really an art. And as with every art, it exists in both theory and practice.

If you want to get better at debate than you just need to dive head-first into it. As you immerse yourself in the practice, you will eventually learn the theory as well. If you're afraid to get beaten then you're not going to get any better at debating, you're just going to become a mediocre "Intellectual" who's afraid to have his beliefs challenged.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:28:34 PM
At 4/18/2012 10:00:49 PM, TUF wrote:
1. I have the same thing here. I always get distracted with the forums when I wamt to type up my argument... the only thing that prevents me from procasting is my immense pride. I will not allow myself to forfeit, never have, never will. So to answer your question, yes, for me it just comes down to sucking it up and doing it, or risk losing the debate due to a forfeit...

I haven't forfeited either, because it is destructive and you will almost certainly lose. Once, I woke up just in time at 4:00 A.M. in the morning and turned on my PC and was able to type my argument (it was a short-answer debate).

2. To me my win record is precious, so I always research my opponent before I challenge them to a debate. I only accept challenges to debaters I know I can beat. As you can see I have few losses, and the ones I do have were to debaters that I underestimated. So yeah, it may be different for you, but I just don't see a point in accepting a debate challenge I know I will lose.

I agree, although I mostly start debates, and therefore, the last answer of my opponent occasionally includes rebuttals that I could've rebutted, but was unable to.

My win record isn't that good.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan