Jump to topic:

What holds you back?

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 12:47:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Everything and everyone in this world is connected. We are all one big fish swimming in the current of life. We are all a conglomerate mass of vibration, radiating to the ebb & flow of existence.

What separates you?

What holds you back from connecting? What holds you back from emanating your love so that it reaches to another?

Do you feel connected to the planet? What about to the people in it? Do you express your love freely? Why or why not? Discuss.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 12:50:50 AM
It's very interesting for me.

I feel very much connected to the people I know; my friends, family and colleagues.
However, I feel this maaaaassive disconnect from the world as a whole. I just feel like the majority of humanity are a completely different species to me and that I don't relate.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 12:56:37 AM
At 4/18/2012 12:47:00 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Everything and everyone in this world is connected. We are all one big fish swimming in the current of life. We are all a conglomerate mass of vibration, radiating to the ebb & flow of existence.

What separates you?

What holds you back from connecting? What holds you back from emanating your love so that it reaches to another?

Do you feel connected to the planet? What about to the people in it? Do you express your love freely? Why or why not? Discuss.

Heaps and mounds of unfettered apathy from most people I embrace.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 12:57:29 AM
At 4/18/2012 12:56:37 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

What separates you?

That's really sad and I hope it isn't true.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 1:01:01 AM
To answer the OP though, I really don't know what holds me back. It is too complicated to think about.

I guess the biggest thing that holds me back is procrastination. I always put off important things until the last possible moment which means my assignments and projects are not as good as they used to be. What do I do in the meantime? I log onto DDO and waste my time. Before DDO, it used to be hulu.com and before hulu, it was random stuff on the web like wikipedia. I wonder if you have a cure for procrastination.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 1:01:10 AM
At 4/18/2012 12:50:50 AM, tvellalott wrote:
It's very interesting for me.

I feel very much connected to the people I know; my friends, family and colleagues.
However, I feel this maaaaassive disconnect from the world as a whole. I just feel like the majority of humanity are a completely different species to me and that I don't relate.

I understand where you are coming from. It's certainly much easier to connect to people who you relate to, to people who operate on a similar plane of existence.

A lot of people simply are not easy to relate to. People are set in their ways. Rigid. Cold. Stubborn. Vapid.

But everyone is so similar that it seems a lot of disconnect is fabricated and immaterial. (not necessarily on your end)

And then you think about all the people who do despicable things and you have to wonder in what way am i even remotely connected to that person? Is there a piece of me in them? I'm sure there is, although something happened to cause them to block their expression in some way, or even to block your own expression. But even as individualistic and/or extreme as we can get, we are all the same.

Gah. I don't really know what I am going on about, really.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 1:03:57 AM
At 4/18/2012 12:56:37 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

What separates you?

Why? Do you expect that from them?
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 1:06:46 AM
At 4/18/2012 1:01:01 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
To answer the OP though, I really don't know what holds me back. It is too complicated to think about.

I guess the biggest thing that holds me back is procrastination. I always put off important things until the last possible moment which means my assignments and projects are not as good as they used to be. What do I do in the meantime? I log onto DDO and waste my time. Before DDO, it used to be hulu.com and before hulu, it was random stuff on the web like wikipedia. I wonder if you have a cure for procrastination.

I don't know that there is a cure.

Take something you enjoy. When you think about it, you go to it.

So you either need to fill your life with more activities that you actually enjoy, and are not just taking these classes because you feel you need to, or you need to remind yourself to enjoy what you are doing.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 1:34:54 AM
At 4/18/2012 12:53:55 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I'm stuck in my old habits. I'm working on it, though.

That's the first step. The second is figuring out what new habits would you like to set in place of the old ones?

We can never really fix what is there if we don't replace it with what is meant to be there.

Otherwise we just keep falling back into the pattern.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 2:29:24 AM
I wouldn't call it love, but I do have compassion for everybody. Sometimes I have to remind myself to be compassionate, but it's rare. I don't think it's reasonable to feel "love" towards everybody or expect others to love everyone unless love is defined in a philosphical way.

I think we simply need to realize that "we are all one consciousness expressing itself differently" as David Icke put it.

I'm not sure that verbally expressing your love for everyone is viable or desirable. I'm generally reserved and polite in professional and family settings and outgoing and outspoken around friends or when inebriated. The best thing I can do is be nice and be honest. Though I don't act the way I do based on an effort to be moral, it's just my natural character.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 4:28:38 AM

What separates you?

I do express my love freely. I have been through many experiences in my life to be greatful for a great many things.

I took a course that literally changed my life several years ago, and recently again about a little over a year ago. I have learned so much about myself, and how I influence those around me. My goal is to connect with others, get over my pride (thats my big one, though I feel I am gradually getting better at it then I used to), and accept what is.

I don't think I could ever hold a thought of suicide again, after the things I have experienced, nor can be negative longer than an hour or two tops. I generally want to be a happy person.

So if anything holds me back it would be my pride. I will always continue to work on that though, and try to accept that letting go of things is okay. I do not like to be angry, and pride only furthers that emotion.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 6:19:15 AM

What separates you?

Empty space.

What holds you back from connecting?

The electromagentic repulsion of electrons.

What holds you back from emanating your love so that it reaches to another?

The lack of a physical model that describes the process of "emanating love." I presume, like most other forces, it drops off with the square of the distance between the two objects?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 6:40:04 AM
At 4/18/2012 6:19:15 AM, drafterman wrote:

What separates you?

Empty space.

What holds you back from connecting?

The electromagentic repulsion of electrons.

What holds you back from emanating your love so that it reaches to another?

The lack of a physical model that describes the process of "emanating love." I presume, like most other forces, it drops off with the square of the distance between the two objects?

LOLOLOLOLOL Drafter :D
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:19:53 PM
At 4/18/2012 2:29:24 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I wouldn't call it love, but I do have compassion for everybody. Sometimes I have to remind myself to be compassionate, but it's rare. I don't think it's reasonable to feel "love" towards everybody or expect others to love everyone unless love is defined in a philosphical way.

I think we simply need to realize that "we are all one consciousness expressing itself differently" as David Icke put it.

I'm not sure that verbally expressing your love for everyone is viable or desirable. I'm generally reserved and polite in professional and family settings and outgoing and outspoken around friends or when inebriated. The best thing I can do is be nice and be honest. Though I don't act the way I do based on an effort to be moral, it's just my natural character.

Actions speak louder than words :)

I think compassion is a form of love. At least, it's on the same spectrum.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:23:53 PM
At 4/18/2012 4:28:38 AM, TUF wrote:

What separates you?

I do express my love freely. I have been through many experiences in my life to be greatful for a great many things.

I took a course that literally changed my life several years ago, and recently again about a little over a year ago. I have learned so much about myself, and how I influence those around me. My goal is to connect with others, get over my pride (thats my big one, though I feel I am gradually getting better at it then I used to), and accept what is.

I don't think I could ever hold a thought of suicide again, after the things I have experienced, nor can be negative longer than an hour or two tops. I generally want to be a happy person.

So if anything holds me back it would be my pride. I will always continue to work on that though, and try to accept that letting go of things is okay. I do not like to be angry, and pride only furthers that emotion.

What was the course about?

Yes, letting go is a good way of dealing with pride. If we can know what we are without the need to affirm it, there is no reason to have pride. Unfortunately it is easy to become lost ;P Sometimes the little things don't matter so much.