Jump to topic:

Respect for Culture v. Individual Desires

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 3:45:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is actually a productive forum (*glares at Geo*), so you can stop complaining, pl0x.

Anyways, I am Indian and I consume beef even though this is considered culturally taboo. My parents are both vegetarian, and they are thus unaware that I consume meat. Should I not eat meat (and especially beef) out of respect for my culture? Do I have an obligation not to?

(I already know my answer. I want to provoke discussion.)
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 3:47:35 PM
At 4/18/2012 3:45:13 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
This is actually a productive forum (*glares at Geo*), so you can stop complaining, pl0x.

Anyways, I am Indian and I consume beef even though this is considered culturally taboo. My parents are both vegetarian, and they are thus unaware that I consume meat. Should I not eat meat (and especially beef) out of respect for my culture? Do I have an obligation not to?

Yes, you already know your answer, and the answer is screw em. Eat what you want.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 3:57:52 PM
At 4/18/2012 3:56:06 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/18/2012 3:55:04 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Oh wait, you just can't eat cows right?

As an individual, I eat what I please.

And here we note the difference between human and civil rights.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 4:02:40 PM
You have an obligation not to eat meat just as a general moral obligation, but no responsibility to support or respect your culture.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 4:04:46 PM
At 4/18/2012 4:02:40 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
You have an obligation not to eat meat just as a general moral obligation, but no responsibility to support or respect your culture.

We've already had this discussion, I believe . . .
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 4:09:16 PM
At 4/18/2012 4:04:46 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I honestly don't remember =/
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 4:12:24 PM
At 4/18/2012 4:09:16 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 4/18/2012 4:04:46 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I honestly don't remember =/

It's not your fault. We did a debate on it when I was using my previous account.

http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 5:19:55 PM
Don't do it in front of your house and definitely don't tell them.

I don't refrain from eating bread on passover and I'm culturally jewish. I don't see the point.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 5:23:42 PM

Yeah, too easy. Do what you want. :)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 6:00:49 PM

You say you're Indian, but your profile says New York - did you move to America?
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 6:06:48 PM
At 4/18/2012 6:00:49 PM, CrazyPerson wrote:

You say you're Indian, but your profile says New York - did you move to America?

That's my ethnicity. I was born in the United States.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 6:08:32 PM
Proof the Vegetarianism is an unnatural abomination: Bacon.

Nuff said.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 6:18:43 PM

If your not Hindu, Buddhist, or Jain, you have no religious obligation to not eat beef or even meat. If I recall my religion class correctly, the Hindu tradition of not eating beef stems from the religious belief. If you do not believe in that religion then you have no obligation.

As for respecting your culture, in India, religion is a fundamental aspect of Indian culture. If you accept Hinduism or Buddhism or Jainism, you are effectively saying you will avoid meat and will not eat beef (Jains take this to the extreme). If you deny Hinduism, Buddhism, or Jainism, you are effectively denying Indian culture in your life.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 9:38:06 PM
you are your own person. Eat what you want. Except other humans. Only I can do that. And I am craving some royalpaladin right now.... *licks lips*
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 3:55:06 AM
That is a really good question. I personally believe the focus should be on not allowing culture to dictate your life. Being from a different culture helps open ones mind, IMO. Like arranged marriages, for example, if I were an american, I would have shot down that possibility almost immediately. Now given that I live in a country it is taken seriously in, it gives a pretty well rounded perspective about love and marriage.

The main thing is thinking about various cultural quirks seriously, and then coming to a decision.