Jump to topic:

DDO vs. Real Life?

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:26:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Do you act differently in real life than you do on ddo?

Why?

What aspects of yourself do express differently in one are or the other?

Which "persona" do you prefer?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:29:03 PM
I'd say I pretty much am the same. But i realize this is not the case for many people and I would like to get some insight as to what causes you to express yourself in a different way on here.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:33:44 PM
I am not very outgoing in real life but am more so on DDO. The reason for that is that in real life, I care too much about what people think of me but on DDO, I don't care as much but am starting to care a lot more than I used to. That is the short version. If you want the long version, PM me and I'll tell you since I dislike talking about my real life in a place where anyone can access it.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:35:00 PM
Less shy here
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:35:35 PM
On DDO I can talk about intelligent things without sounding like a know it all or seeming like I just want attention. So just about the only difference is that I tend to act more intelligent here.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:45:17 PM
At 4/18/2012 10:33:44 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I am not very outgoing in real life but am more so on DDO. The reason for that is that in real life, I care too much about what people think of me but on DDO, I don't care as much but am starting to care a lot more than I used to. That is the short version. If you want the long version, PM me and I'll tell you since I dislike talking about my real life in a place where anyone can access it.

Okay. i pmed you.. thanks for the answer.

We're anonymous on the internet so it's easier to deal with adverse opinions. But when you start to develop bonds with people, even though it's online, you want them to like you. Okay. I think people in general think about/ judge you way less than we might think.

I struggled with very similar issues for a long time. The only really way to get out of it is change your thinking patterns. Not that it's wrong to care, but caring too much can be a hindrance. We have to retrain the brain. Meditation helps.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:45:39 PM
It depends on the situation. I am generally shy in real life around people I don't know, but once you get me out of shell, I am basically the same.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:52:17 PM
I guess I agree with all of you who say you don't talk certain subjects as much.

I only talk about them with people who are close to me and/or who I sense will think a bit deeper.

But sometimes it surprises me how many (definitely not all) people are willing to go deeper if you engage them in an open, subtle, non-intrusive way.

I generally hang out with older people in real life so that I can learn from them O.o there are a lot of incredibly intelligent young people on here which seems much more difficult to find in the world out yonder..
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:54:22 PM
At 4/18/2012 10:45:39 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
It depends on the situation. I am generally shy in real life around people I don't know, but once you get me out of shell, I am basically the same.

You were a little bit like that here, were you not? At least, it seemed to be the case :)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:54:55 PM
At 4/18/2012 10:54:22 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 4/18/2012 10:45:39 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

You were a little bit like that here, were you not? At least, it seemed to be the case :)

I guess :)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:08:24 PM
At 4/18/2012 10:26:55 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Do you act differently in real life than you do on ddo?

Hell yes.

Why?

Because life, in general, sucks.

What aspects of yourself do express differently in one are or the other?

I'm much more social and talkative on here than I am in real life. Heck, I almost never talk IRL. I don't try to sound as smart or intelligent as I do here, even though I'm not all that smart xD, as smartness tends to be seen as arrogance where I am.

Which "persona" do you prefer?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Sans_the_Ander
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:16:07 PM
At 4/18/2012 10:52:17 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

But sometimes it surprises me how many (definitely not all) people are willing to go deeper if you engage them in an open, subtle, non-intrusive way.

I live in a small town in North Carolina, and it AMAZES me how close-minded people are around me. If it is not within the realm of what they believe in, then it is just plain stupid and just completely wrong to them. They don't give respect to other people if they believe in something different than they believe in.

My town is a MAJOR southern Baptist town. There's a Baptist church on what seems like every street corner. I remember in school we were learning about different religions and how they compared to each other. The other kids in the class were just bad mouthing them saying how stupid Muslims are and how stupid Hindus are because it's OBVIOUS that we, the great southern Baptists, are right about everything when it comes to religion. Give me a break. People deserve to be given respect for what they believe in. Sure, it's not the same as what you believe in, but let them believe in what they believe, don't go insulting them because you're "right" and everyone else is "wrong".

I've actually heard about students in my school getting mad at teachers for teaching things like evolution and the big bang theory. It seems like 90% of people in my town absolutely refuse to have any sort of an open mind...

The ignorance of people in my town astounds me.... so DDO is a very welcoming place where people can think openly and think so much deeper on all kinds of topics. Since joining I have really become a fan of this site! It's a very good change of pace from real life :p
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:20:47 PM
At 4/18/2012 11:16:07 PM, Sans_the_Ander wrote:

I live in a small town in North Carolina, and it AMAZES me how close-minded people are around me. If it is not within the realm of what they believe in, then it is just plain stupid and just completely wrong to them. They don't give respect to other people if they believe in something different than they believe in.

My town is a MAJOR southern Baptist town. There's a Baptist church on what seems like every street corner. I remember in school we were learning about different religions and how they compared to each other. The other kids in the class were just bad mouthing them saying how stupid Muslims are and how stupid Hindus are because it's OBVIOUS that we, the great southern Baptists, are right about everything when it comes to religion. Give me a break. People deserve to be given respect for what they believe in. Sure, it's not the same as what you believe in, but let them believe in what they believe, don't go insulting them because you're "right" and everyone else is "wrong".

I've actually heard about students in my school getting mad at teachers for teaching things like evolution and the big bang theory. It seems like 90% of people in my town absolutely refuse to have any sort of an open mind...

The ignorance of people in my town astounds me.... so DDO is a very welcoming place where people can think openly and think so much deeper on all kinds of topics. Since joining I have really become a fan of this site! It's a very good change of pace from real life :p

Sounds like my middle school. Does everyone hate blacks, mexicans, and "half breeds" too?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:22:28 PM
At 4/18/2012 11:20:47 PM, thett3 wrote:

Sounds like my middle school. Does everyone hate blacks, mexicans, and "half breeds" too?

Oh Colleyville...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:23:20 PM
At 4/18/2012 11:22:28 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Oh Colleyville...

Grapevine, actually! :P
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Sans_the_Ander
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:26:29 PM

Well, the hardcore rednecks do, but that's about it. Almost every single person in my town is completely against being gay though. Gay = going straight to hell for most people. It's sad really
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:32:37 PM

Yeah, i feel your pain >_< Do you experience these kind of things mainly in school, or all over town? I think this is a general attitude of younger people because it deals with ignorance. Though people can change if you are patient with them... for the ones that you care about.
Sans_the_Ander
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:41:23 PM
At 4/18/2012 11:32:37 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

Yeah, i feel your pain >_< Do you experience these kind of things mainly in school, or all over town? I think this is a general attitude of younger people because it deals with ignorance. Though people can change if you are patient with them... for the ones that you care about.

Mainly in school cuz that's where I interact with people the most. I make sure to not bring up topics that would lead to arguing with my friends. Don't get me wrong, not everyone is that close-minded. I have friends that don't judge and respect the beliefs of others. My girlfriend is good about being accepting of everybody too :) Just the vast majority is totally ignorant, and a lot of it is how they were raised. I just can't wait to graduate and head off to college where I'm sure people will be a lot more open-minded about stuff!!!
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:45:25 PM

There's really a lot of racism around the school?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:50:53 PM
At 4/18/2012 11:45:25 PM, darkkermit wrote:

There's really a lot of racism around the school?

Well the Mexicans tended to keep to themselves, and the ones that didnt were ultra aggressive. It was like that in elementary school too, so of course most people disliked them. I only knew one black kid, and everyone liked him, but a good number of them would still say bad stuff about blacks in general, and freaked out when Obama got elected and we had a "negro in charge". Of course not EVERYONE was like that, no, but a good amount. And there was only one mixed racce kid I knew of, this girl who was half black, half mexican, and someone went up to her and said "I am SO sorry. If my parents did that to me, I would kill myself". It was incredibly rude. I'm glad I didnt go to highschool with these people.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:53:08 PM
In real life I giggle a lot of do dumb stuff.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 12:13:35 AM
I debate with my roommates daily. I'm relatively vocal about my views, but only if it's relevant. I don't just go around blurting political rhetoric randomly or preach on corners unprovoked.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 3:36:39 AM
I am kind of the same here. MY personality is similiar in real life. However the debate part is not.
I come here for three things.

1. Intellectual stimulization.
2. Social Networking (FAR better than facebook, as I have grown more fond of this community)
3. Gaming (mafia)

The only thing I find to be a problem in real life is that no ones understands me when I try to talk about anything in too broad of terms (kind of like thett). I tried to have an intellectual conversation with a fellow employee today, that turned out to be an utter fail.

It was kind of like:

ME: So what do you think of the concept of utilitarianism and how it's moral aspects apply to certain standards of the United States Government?

HIM: .... I have 7 dogs. Do you have any pets?

ME: *Mentally Facepalming in irritation*

I just feel like people get me more. Plus I love debating people, both in the forums and in formal debates. This site has changed many of my beliefs, and has helped me become a lot more open to different aspects and beliefs.

I try to fuse my personality in real life here on DDO, thus I do video debates, etc.

I am not too worried about privacy (honestly I doubt anyone here would rape and kill me, or could rape and kill me), and I consider a good majority of ya'll friends.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 4:14:00 AM
At 4/19/2012 3:36:39 AM, TUF wrote:
I am kind of the same here. MY personality is similiar in real life. However the debate part is not.
I come here for three things.

1. Intellectual stimulization.
2. Social Networking (FAR better than facebook, as I have grown more fond of this community)
3. Gaming (mafia)

The only thing I find to be a problem in real life is that no ones understands me when I try to talk about anything in too broad of terms (kind of like thett). I tried to have an intellectual conversation with a fellow employee today, that turned out to be an utter fail.

It was kind of like:

ME: So what do you think of the concept of utilitarianism and how it's moral aspects apply to certain standards of the United States Government?

HIM: .... I have 7 dogs. Do you have any pets?

ME: *Mentally Facepalming in irritation*

I just feel like people get me more. Plus I love debating people, both in the forums and in formal debates. This site has changed many of my beliefs, and has helped me become a lot more open to different aspects and beliefs.

I try to fuse my personality in real life here on DDO, thus I do video debates, etc.

I am not too worried about privacy (honestly I doubt anyone here would rape and kill me, or could rape and kill me), and I consider a good majority of ya'll friends.

LOL, watch out for LDF. :p
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 4:22:50 AM
At 4/19/2012 4:14:00 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/19/2012 3:36:39 AM, TUF wrote:

LOL, watch out for LDF. :p

Have you seen that girl? She is out right beautiful. I don't know how much I would complain to being raped by someone like her... ;-)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 4:39:07 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com...
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.