Jump to topic:

Sleep Paralysis

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 8:53:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I didn't know really where to put this topic. I guess Health or Science would be fine, but I figured more people check the Personal forum anyway.

But holy crap.

Sleep paralysis is fricking scary. I am literally afraid to go back to sleep right now.

So here's the story. I was really tired this morning so I decided to sleep in instead of going to school. I drifted back into sleep and that was that. Now, a day or two ago we had the power out, and so a lot of the appliances make noise when they are either turning off or turning on simultaneously. So this morning, after about 2 or so hours of extra sleep, I am awoken by a very loud groaning/moaning sound. It sounds electronic, like machines powering down, so I assume the power is out or something. Looking back, I realize I was mistaken.

Now, after being awoken by this loud noise, I immediately thought it was electricity going out. Not a moment after I feel my whole body suddenly have pins and needles. It feels like electricity running through my whole body, which doesn't seem out of place in my mind at the moment. As a result of this weird sensation, I want to get up in order to check that the power is indeed out. But I can't. My body won't move. I can open my eyes and see my room, but it's like I lost control of my muscles. Just this awful prickly feeling. I try with all my might to move even a finger, but I feel like just moving my finger an inch is like fighting quicksand.

And that's when I get to the downright scary part. As I said, I can still see. My eyes are open. About a meter from the foot of my bed, there's a little corridor (best way I can explain it). My head is to the side, and in the corner of my eye I notice something. To me it seems like a tall black figure. Now this is very akin to that "person in the corner of my eye" feeling, but now I can't turn my head to make it disappear. It's just standing there and it FEELS like it's there. For some reason, I picture a Dementor in my head, just this figure standing there and it feels horrible and awful and I'm terrified and want to scream or face it but I can't. It's a scary scary feeling.

Then suddenly I feel my hand start to move and with all my might I get up and boom. I see the figure move from the spot. I run to my wall and turn on the light switches and check the little area I saw the figure. To me, it felt like it ran. Like I saw it move, but there's no sign. At that point, I realize the power is working and hearing the "machines" shutting down never happened. And I was still panicked.

Here's the thing: normal people think ghosts. I even thought ghosts for a split second. But then I remembered my rational mind. I have to thank DDO for this. I figured an explanation existed already, and rather than sound like many people on this site who simply say "I felt this experience, therefore my theory is real, screw you" I decided to investigate. I would hate myself if I thought one unexplained phenomena was going to make me believe in irrational ideas.

So I googled "can't move when sleeping" and got tons of info on sleep paralysis. So that basically explained it. Even the articles on the topic say these events will often inspire people to believe in ghosts, aliens, or angels, when really it's all hallucinations. The idea is you don't entirely wake up and so your body still is making up crazy images that manifest and seem even more real since you are absolutely aware rather than just semi-aware (sleep paralysis vs. lucid dreaming).

And all articles say it's a terrifying panicky feeling. I assure you it is. It's not fun. Even knowing that it was just a "dream" I am still not going back to sleep or turning off the lights. I know now the whole ordeal was a dream, since thinking back I only noticed little details of the room, and didn't really "see" the whole thing. But hooooly crap. That's my story for the day I just wanted to share.

Good luck sleeping.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:00:41 AM
I've had the opposite: Night Terrors.

Basically, a sudden infusion of some irrational fear that causes me to just bolt the fvck out of bed and start running.

When I remember the instances I remember feeling sensations of imminent doom (like, there was a bomb in the room or something). Thankfully, it wears off after a few seconds. One time I basically had my hand on the front door handle to go outside before I snapped out of it.

Haven't had any in a few years, thankfully.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:25:15 AM
It's called lucid dreaming or astral projection. It is not scary, it's perfectly normal. People who are scared by losing contact with their body call it 'sleep paralysis' and the term is just comical. Sleeping on your back will almost always result in an out of body experience, which is just a dream that you are aware of upon entering it. Many people cannot fully project into the dream world from this state because once they realize something weird is happening they fight the process to regain bodily consciousness. Sleeping on your stomach or side will make it so that the body generally falls asleep before the dreams start, so there is no experience of transition.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:28:32 AM
Ive had that happen to me before. When I woke up I didnt feel anything until I started to strech my arms and legs 2 seconds after I awoke. It hurted so badly I was standing in that position for like 1 hour hoping it was gone but I was too afriad I would get shocked again. Most creepiest moment I ever had when I woke up I never forgot it.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:35:46 AM
Strangest experience I've had is when I woke up with a faintly warm arm/hand lying across my neck and chest. Took me a good 30 seconds to realize it was my own but it was completely asleep and I could not discern in any way that it was my own hand and not someone else's at the time, since it had no feeling. If it weren't for my senses only being half-awake, I would have totally freaked. Never had anything like this though.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:35:49 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:25:15 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:
It's called lucid dreaming or astral projection. It is not scary, it's perfectly normal. People who are scared by losing contact with their body call it 'sleep paralysis' and the term is just comical. Sleeping on your back will almost always result in an out of body experience, which is just a dream that you are aware of upon entering it. Many people cannot fully project into the dream world from this state because once they realize something weird is happening they fight the process to regain bodily consciousness. Sleeping on your stomach or side will make it so that the body generally falls asleep before the dreams start, so there is no experience of transition.

No, I've lucid dreamt before. This was different, and I WAS on my side. Part of the reason why I couldn't see the "thing" that was in my vision. And I didn't see myself when I did it, so it's not astral projection. Plus, it was post-sleep paralysis, not pre-sleep.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:37:47 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:28:32 AM, kyro90 wrote:
Ive had that happen to me before. When I woke up I didnt feel anything until I started to strech my arms and legs 2 seconds after I awoke. It hurted so badly I was standing in that position for like 1 hour hoping it was gone but I was too afriad I would get shocked again. Most creepiest moment I ever had when I woke up I never forgot it.

... sounds more like either your limbs fell asleep or you got a bad cramp. Not quite sleep paralysis if you were able to move.

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:39:45 AM

No.. lucid dreams, astral projection, and sleep paralysis are all three different things.

1. lucid dreams - a dream in which you become aware/ realize you are dreaming
2. astral projection- can be likened to an out of body experience, your "astral body" travels to the "astral plane"
3. sleep paralysis - your mind fully wakes up but your body is stuck in the level of sleep where you can't move.

Sleep paralysis is scary >.< I've had similar experiences. Usually what happens to me is I have a dream where someone scary is moving towards me. I can't move in the dream either. The person finally gets the the point where he's about to touch/ grab me. Sometimes I wake up still in paralysis, sometimes I can move.

There always seems to be the experience of some presence in the room, holding them down or something. Strange. I guess the most simple way to manifest the feeling is by imagining an external force as the cause.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:40:04 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:35:49 AM, M.Torres wrote:

No, I've lucid dreamt before. This was different, and I WAS on my side. Part of the reason why I couldn't see the "thing" that was in my vision. And I didn't see myself when I did it, so it's not astral projection. Plus, it was post-sleep paralysis, not pre-sleep.

It's not to say that you can't have a lucid dream on your side, it's just more often on your back. You don't need to 'see yourself' when you astrally project... you generally obtain a first person view. Some of my most powerful experiences are after waking up and then lying in bed, at this stage in the sleep cycle it takes hardly any effort (for me personally) to have a powerful dream. All dreams aren't the same - but sleep paralysis is only indicative of entering a dream. This can happen during the day sitting in a chair. Have you ever started to drift off into a daze during class, only to jump up out of your chair and feel embarrassed because now everybody in class knows you fell asleep? That's your body snapping out of the first stages of a projection/dream/paralysis.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:42:28 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:39:45 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

No.. lucid dreams, astral projection, and sleep paralysis are all three different things.

2. astral projection- can be likened to an out of body experience, your "astral body" travels to the "astral plane"
3. sleep paralysis - your mind fully wakes up but your body is stuck in the level of sleep where you can't move.

Sleep paralysis is scary >.< I've had similar experiences. Usually what happens to me is I have a dream where someone scary is moving towards me. I can't move in the dream either. The person finally gets the the point where he's about to touch/ grab me. Sometimes I wake up still in paralysis, sometimes I can move.

There always seems to be the experience of some presence in the room, holding them down or something. Strange. I guess the most simple way to manifest the feeling is by imagining an external force as the cause.

Exactly. I honestly feel like the figure I saw can only be likened to a Dementor. I even felt my deep shallow breaths get cold, like he was somehow taking my breath and by simply BEING there he was keeping me from doing anything. I just wanted to face it, but couldn't it. I felt so vulnerable and that was what led to the fear more than the figure itself.

CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:42:55 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:39:45 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

No, they aren't.

Yes, they are synonymous to each other. Astral projection is the process by which one consciously enters a lucid dream. Sleep paralysis is what is experienced when the person wants to wake up, I do these things all the time! It happens nearly every time. Your mind is allowed to wake up before your body, obviously, or your body would never wake up.

When you 'wake up' and find yourself in your bed but you cannot move, you are still dreaming (lucidly) and you are convinced that you've woken up , but you just haven't fully woken up (it's still a dream).
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:44:22 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:40:04 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

It's not to say that you can't have a lucid dream on your side, it's just more often on your back. You don't need to 'see yourself' when you astrally project... you generally obtain a first person view. Some of my most powerful experiences are after waking up and then lying in bed, at this stage in the sleep cycle it takes hardly any effort (for me personally) to have a powerful dream. All dreams aren't the same - but sleep paralysis is only indicative of entering a dream. This can happen during the day sitting in a chair. Have you ever started to drift off into a daze during class, only to jump up out of your chair and feel embarrassed because now everybody in class knows you fell asleep? That's your body snapping out of the first stages of a projection/dream/paralysis.

No, I was coming out of the dream dude. Also, it def wasn't astral projection. I was in my own body. And that "jumping" sensation is different. Not related to sleep paralysis. As LDF pointed out, these are all different sleeping phenomena. And yes, I've done what you said in order to lucid dream.

CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:47:40 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:44:22 AM, M.Torres wrote:
At 4/25/2012 10:40:04 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

No, I was coming out of the dream dude. Also, it def wasn't astral projection. I was in my own body. And that "jumping" sensation is different. Not related to sleep paralysis. As LDF pointed out, these are all different sleeping phenomena. And yes, I've done what you said in order to lucid dream.

Yeah, no kidding. Coming out of a dream or entering a dream is when the phenomena happens! Do you guys like being scared or would you rather learn about the process so that next time it isn't scary? Astral projection is the same thing as a dream, it's another way of looking at it in order to give certain individuals a better chance at understanding dreams. The dream is depicted in many ways, and has stages. They aren't different at all.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:47:42 AM
Besides, astral projection isn't really an actual confirmed phenomena. Sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming are scientifically confirmed, whereas astral projection is more of a pseudoscience sort of thing.

The difference between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis mostly lies in the fact that you are physically aware in the latter and only mentally aware in the former.

CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:49:07 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:47:42 AM, M.Torres wrote:
Besides, astral projection isn't really an actual confirmed phenomena. Sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming are scientifically confirmed, whereas astral projection is more of a pseudoscience sort of thing.

The difference between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis mostly lies in the fact that you are physically aware in the latter and only mentally aware in the former.

Right, astral projection is a psychological guide to obtain a lucid experience, it's not an actual experience, it is a method.

You THINK that you are physically aware, but you are still dreaming! That's the point!That's why it is scary!!!!!!
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:51:30 AM
Here's how it goes. You practice astral projection, pass over a state of paralysis and enter a lucid dream. On the way back to your body, you become conscious of your body before your actual body wakes up. Thus the phenomena of paralysis. But you are just dreaming that you've woken up and it can be VERY convincing that you actually have woken up (hence the term LUCID dream) lol. How can you not understand that?
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:53:37 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:49:07 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

Right, astral projection is a psychological guide to obtain a lucid experience, it's not an actual experience, it is a method.

You THINK that you are physically aware, but you are still dreaming! That's the point!That's why it is scary!!!!!!

Obviously there are ways to control it. But 1) this was my first experience, so I had no idea how to handle it or even what it was. 2) I wasn't lucid dreaming, so I was not in a state of mind to control my dreams anyway.

I've already read there are ways to deal with it, but I'm just talking about the experience. Obviously now that I understand what it is, it won't be as scary next time. It's hard to fight the feelings though.

And okay, I think I see what you mean by AP. Some people believe it to be actual separation, but I can see how you're referring to it as the actual dream itself.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:55:41 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:51:30 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:
Here's how it goes. You practice astral projection, pass over a state of paralysis and enter a lucid dream. On the way back to your body, you become conscious of your body before your actual body wakes up. Thus the phenomena of paralysis. But you are just dreaming that you've woken up and it can be VERY convincing that you actually have woken up (hence the term LUCID dream) lol. How can you not understand that?

lol - no.

I have had lucid dreams without your "astral projection". I have had lucid dreams without ever experiencing paralysis before. This morning I had paralysis for the first time, and without lucid dreaming. These all contradict your "expert" opinion. And your definition of lucid dream seems to be really off.

CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:57:50 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:53:37 AM, M.Torres wrote:
At 4/25/2012 10:49:07 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

Obviously there are ways to control it. But 1) this was my first experience, so I had no idea how to handle it or even what it was. 2) I wasn't lucid dreaming, so I was not in a state of mind to control my dreams anyway.

Yeah, when you have a lucid dream 'on accident' it is scary, it's scared me too and i used to think that i might have sleep paralysis. This is like confining your own mind into being scared, as if you're allowing your belief to determine your fate. If you realize that astral projection is a method, lucid dreaming is the reaction, things get different. In order for your mind to enter a lucid dream, your body must turn off. When you come back to a state of being awake, what happens is your dream enters a state of pseudo-reality in which you see everything around you as normal as it should be, yet you are still dreaming. That's why you can't move, because you aren't really awake. There is only dreaming, and waking. The paralysis is just the experience of the dream. It's like when you have a nightmare that your'e falling, and you wake up quickly and feel scared. You weren't actually falling - it was only a dream. You weren't actually paralyzed - it is just a dream!

I've already read there are ways to deal with it, but I'm just talking about the experience. Obviously now that I understand what it is, it won't be as scary next time. It's hard to fight the feelings though.

And okay, I think I see what you mean by AP. Some people believe it to be actual separation, but I can see how you're referring to it as the actual dream itself.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:00:04 AM
At 4/25/2012 10:55:41 AM, M.Torres wrote:

lol - no.

I have had lucid dreams without your "astral projection". I have had lucid dreams without ever experiencing paralysis before. This morning I had paralysis for the first time, and without lucid dreaming. These all contradict your "expert" opinion. And your definition of lucid dream seems to be really off.

You don't need to use astral projection to enter a dream, obviously - it's an advanced technique in attempts to control what happens during the dream. Paralysis is lucid dreaming, do you really think you just had a mini-seziure and that your body really was paralyzed? No! It was a dream dude, you thought you woke up and you didn't! It's called a false awakening and happens to everyone in their lives. If you really want to believe it's a medical thing - go ahead stay brainwashed.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:04:28 AM
Sleep paralysis ... LOL!!!!!!! Look up 'False Awakening'
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:05:36 AM
At 4/25/2012 11:00:04 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

lol - no.

You don't need to use astral projection to enter a dream, obviously - it's an advanced technique in attempts to control what happens during the dream. Paralysis is lucid dreaming, do you really think you just had a mini-seziure and that your body really was paralyzed? No! It was a dream dude, you thought you woke up and you didn't! It's called a false awakening and happens to everyone in their lives. If you really want to believe it's a medical thing - go ahead stay brainwashed.

lol - okay. I'll take the "CrazyPerson's" opinion over doctors. Sounds like a plan. Do you like conspiracy theories? (inb4 appeal to exaggeration).

But seriously. Lucid dreaming causes the dreamer to be aware they are dreaming. In doing so, they can use their mind to directly control the dream. I've done this. You've done this.

Sleep paralysis is different. According to you, it's the same as lucid dreaming. If it was, I SHOULD have been able to move and/or control the "thing" that was in my room. I would have noticed the direct transition from dream to awake (as people do even when they lucid dream). But none of this happened. I was not lucid dreaming, as per the term, since I STILL could not move. Mentally willing myself had no impact on the dream. That cannot be lucid dreaming. I was in direct contact with the physical world, hence being able to get out of bed and turn on the light switch - which happened.

Regardless, it's not all that important man. I'm just pointing out you're just putting together terms however you want, when your ideas are not actually the case.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:07:14 AM
At 4/25/2012 11:04:28 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

lol - totally different

False awakening is very common and lots of people do it. I've done this WAY too many times. Ever read Calvin and Hobbes?

False awakening is a DREAM where you dream that you woke up, but in fact are still dreaming. Like, you may make it to school, or work, or whatever, and then wake up again and realize all those remembered actions were in fact a dream.

Again, you are mixing up terms however you like.

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:10:28 AM
Ooh sleep paralysis, that is scary. I have a mild case of sleep apnea, doctors have said its likely not dangerous, but I get regular testing done a couple of times a year to see if the condition gets any worse. So far no, its still scary to think that that things like these happen to people. >_<
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:11:25 AM
At 4/25/2012 11:05:36 AM, M.Torres wrote:
At 4/25/2012 11:00:04 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

lol - no.

lol - okay. I'll take the "CrazyPerson's" opinion over doctors. Sounds like a plan. Do you like conspiracy theories? (inb4 appeal to exaggeration).

But seriously. Lucid dreaming causes the dreamer to be aware they are dreaming. In doing so, they can use their mind to directly control the dream. I've done this. You've done this.

Sleep paralysis is different. According to you, it's the same as lucid dreaming. If it was, I SHOULD have been able to move and/or control the "thing" that was in my room. I would have noticed the direct transition from dream to awake (as people do even when they lucid dream). But none of this happened. I was not lucid dreaming, as per the term, since I STILL could not move. Mentally willing myself had no impact on the dream. That cannot be lucid dreaming. I was in direct contact with the physical world, hence being able to get out of bed and turn on the light switch - which happened.

Regardless, it's not all that important man. I'm just pointing out you're just putting together terms however you want, when your ideas are not actually the case.

Yes, take the doctors opinion on this one! Don't look up a false awakening or anything or attempt to understand the process, just use the term paralysis. Lucid dreaming never results in a direct transition from Awake-Dream-Awake, it always passes through conscious 'paralysis' before and after. This is where the term lucid comes from, you remain awake while your body falls asleep. Once you pass this threshold, you cannot just move your body because it is sleeping - it isn't paralyzation - it's simply sleep. When your mind is awake but your body is asleep, and you attempt to move your body, you can't move it - then all of a sudden the fear comes and that ends your lucid dream, because moments later you are able to move again.. magically...
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:12:26 AM
At 4/25/2012 11:07:14 AM, M.Torres wrote:
At 4/25/2012 11:04:28 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

lol - totally different

False awakening is very common and lots of people do it. I've done this WAY too many times. Ever read Calvin and Hobbes?

False awakening is a DREAM where you dream that you woke up, but in fact are still dreaming. Like, you may make it to school, or work, or whatever, and then wake up again and realize all those remembered actions were in fact a dream.

Exactly, you WOKE UP but you're still DREAMING. Just like when you wake up and find yourself laying in bed but you can't move - you obviously haven't woken up fully!

Again, you are mixing up terms however you like.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:14:17 AM
Mixing up the terms... lol, what are you talking about? Your saying that you have a medical condition that is causing your body to seize upon waking up, and I am saying no - it's just a dream. Something I've experienced many times through studying and practicing lucid dreaming and or astral projection (however you want to call it). I've been scared plenty of times too, i just decided to fully understand the experience rather than chalk it up to medical nonsense.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:15:38 AM
At 4/25/2012 11:11:25 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

Yes, take the doctors opinion on this one! Don't look up a false awakening or anything or attempt to understand the process, just use the term paralysis. Lucid dreaming never results in a direct transition from Awake-Dream-Awake, it always passes through conscious 'paralysis' before and after. This is where the term lucid comes from, you remain awake while your body falls asleep. Once you pass this threshold, you cannot just move your body because it is sleeping - it isn't paralyzation - it's simply sleep. When your mind is awake but your body is asleep, and you attempt to move your body, you can't move it - then all of a sudden the fear comes and that ends your lucid dream, because moments later you are able to move again.. magically...

Dude, you're just downright wrong. lol

I've lucid dreamed, and it's a very clear awake-dream-awake process. Sometimes not so much, but most of the time, yes. So that's false.

You are seriously mixing up terms. I've done what you said already before and know the differences between these terms. You're the one who's just taking words and applying them to whatever you want and saying that that's fact. lol

So, no.

CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:16:27 AM
excerpt -

If sleep paralysis is just a dream, then why does it feel so real?

Some of the effects ARE real. This state is a very clever merger of waking consciousness with the dream world. It's an unbelievably cruel mind trick.

For instance, the footsteps thumping towards the bed are often a distortion of the sound of your own heartbeat, pounding wildly in your chest due to all the adrenaline. Hearing your assailant breathing unnaturally is common too - thought to be the sound of your own gasps for breath in this panicked state.

The feeling of your body being paralyzed is real, too. Releasing yourself from the grip of the paralysis is one way to end this terrifying situation (see below). However, the perceived difficulty to breathe properly is what causes many people to imagine an entity trying to harm them (by stopping them breathing or crushing their chest). It's important to remember here that the effect is psychosomatic.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:16:43 AM
At 4/25/2012 11:14:17 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:
Mixing up the terms... lol, what are you talking about? Your saying that you have a medical condition that is causing your body to seize upon waking up, and I am saying no - it's just a dream. Something I've experienced many times through studying and practicing lucid dreaming and or astral projection (however you want to call it). I've been scared plenty of times too, i just decided to fully understand the experience rather than chalk it up to medical nonsense.

lolololol

I thought one Geo was gonna be enough on DDO.