Jump to topic:

Joining the army.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 3:43:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am thinking about joining the army. I have been thinking about for months, and I finally contacted a recruiter. I am going to go in and talk to them about the different branches and benefits.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with the army? What is the branch you would reccomend and why? Is it good pay?

I am looking for a change in my life. I feel so useless here. All my money for the next 5 months is being garnished as soon as my paychecks come in, after this next month, my savings will have run dry and I will no longer be able to live. This seems like a good escape from it all, and I feel like I could develope myself a lot through this.

Let me know what you think.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 3:48:06 PM
Ok, not speaking politically here and I claim to know what is best for you personally. but I would strongly advise you NOT to do it. The supposed benefits are a huge lie. The United States does not take very good care of it's veterans. 1 in 4 homeless people are veterans. And if you are put into active duty you are likely to be inflicted with irreparable brain damage due to the stress.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 3:48:33 PM
At 4/30/2012 3:48:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Ok, not speaking politically here and I don't claim to know what is best for you personally. but I would strongly advise you NOT to do it. The supposed benefits are a huge lie. The United States does not take very good care of it's veterans. 1 in 4 homeless people are veterans. And if you are put into active duty you are likely to be inflicted with irreparable brain damage due to the stress.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 3:49:45 PM
Hmm, not sure what you would wanna do, so I'm not sure what you should pick.

Marines isn't a bad idea I suppose, or Army. Good safe picks I'm guessing.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:00:33 PM
You want to sign your life over to the government? They own you for your entire term.
I guess if your life is in the pits then go for it, you get to travel for free and see foreign lands. But know that you won't be fighting for our freedom, but for unjust wars. If your life is going even relatively well, DO NOT join the military.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:06:08 PM
At 4/30/2012 3:58:34 PM, Koopin wrote:
Navy will give you better life skills. But do what ya gotta do.

Join the Navy so you can share in my madness!

LUVNAV 1989-1992
TheDiabolicDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:10:32 PM
At 4/30/2012 3:43:32 PM, TUF wrote:
I am thinking about joining the army. I have been thinking about for months, and I finally contacted a recruiter. I am going to go in and talk to them about the different branches and benefits.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with the army? What is the branch you would reccomend and why? Is it good pay?

I am looking for a change in my life. I feel so useless here. All my money for the next 5 months is being garnished as soon as my paychecks come in, after this next month, my savings will have run dry and I will no longer be able to live. This seems like a good escape from it all, and I feel like I could develope myself a lot through this.

Let me know what you think.

I enlisted a few months ago and I'm going to basic training in early June. I'll help as much as I can.

http://www.goarmy.com...

The benefits are pretty nice, especially considering you would be getting them with little to no work experience.

I joined so I could have money for school, get experience in the medical field, get away from home, and basically just learn some mental discipline.

I'm not sure what else to say, but I'm looking forward to it, honestly. If you do decide to enlist, the best advice I can give you is to not sign anything without reading it first.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:19:27 PM
At 4/30/2012 4:00:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You want to sign your life over to the government? They own you for your entire term.
I guess if your life is in the pits then go for it, you get to travel for free and see foreign lands. But know that you won't be fighting for our freedom, but for unjust wars. If your life is going even relatively well, DO NOT join the military.

Geo, this is the part where you shut the hell up before you show have ignorant you really are.

And, about the whole "Unjust Wars" thing, the chances of him being deployed into combat are quite low.

TheDiabolicDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:25:00 PM
Oh, and that reminds me. When you enlist, keep in mind that the army only has so many positions available. In October when the army gets its "paycheck," a lot of positions will open up.

I enlisted around January or February and by then, there were very few jobs left for me despite the fact that I scored an 85 on the ASVAB. I lucked out though, and one of the few jobs left was the medical one I wanted.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:34:16 PM
At 4/30/2012 4:19:27 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Geo, this is the part where you shut the hell up before you show have ignorant you really are.

And, about the whole "Unjust Wars" thing, the chances of him being deployed into combat are quite low.

False. I've got 4 friends in the military. The one I see most is always saying how bad the military sucks. He's been in it for almost 8 years. All of them have been in combat. He agrees that the military makes you a pawn and that it's for unjust causes. He regrets ever going to the military.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:40:24 PM

What army are you talking about?? We are so desperate for combat troops that the national guard makes up the largest percentage of front line troops in history.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:42:25 PM
At 4/30/2012 4:34:16 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

False. I've got 4 friends in the military. The one I see most is always saying how bad the military sucks. He's been in it for almost 8 years. All of them have been in combat. He agrees that the military makes you a pawn and that it's for unjust causes. He regrets ever going to the military.

Yeah, cause one guy said it, thats the case. Shouldn't have signed up in the first place then Herpaderp.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:46:09 PM

Like every politician who avoided war yet sends our generation to die, you demagogue the issue. American soldiers today are pawns in a global racket and the only way the American people let our govt. get away with it is blind patriotism.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:51:12 PM
My mom's friend's son went into the military to escape life. He goes through super-tough training and gets discriminatory treatment by his fellow "troops". He now currently wants to GTFO of the military angry that he had left his mother for going to the military.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:54:56 PM
At 4/30/2012 4:42:25 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Yeah, cause one guy said it, thats the case.

No. One guy has experienced it. Plus the thousands of active military personel who support Ron Paul and want out.

Shouldn't have signed up in the first place then Herpaderp.

Wow youre fvckin retarded. Do you know what regret is? He made a bad choice and regrets that choice. He didn't have the same knowledge back then that he has now. He thought it was a good idea at the time while being informed, then he got informed and regrets the decision. So don't come here spewing nonsense like "herp derp he shouldn't have joined."

Btw, you've made not one single argument yet. I've provided several arguments with substance, you've said nothing of substance, just insults. At least my insults come attached with real arguments.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:08:10 PM
No! You are going to get killed!

But seriously. Start a business or something. If you need a degree, get one.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:10:00 PM

Yeah, cause one guy said it, thats the case. Shouldn't have signed up in the first place then Herpaderp.

Ober, sorry, he is right. US troops are more likely tot do suicide then die in combat, the army sucks.
http://current.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:10:47 PM
At 4/30/2012 5:10:00 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Ober, sorry, he is right. US troops are more likely tot do suicide then die in combat, the army sucks.

That pertains to this, because......>?

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:15:21 PM
At 4/30/2012 5:10:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:

An army with high suicide rates means they are likely being treated unjustly, our army is......... ugh. Honor them.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:16:01 PM
Oh, and Geo, I FINALLY get to use this quote:

"Unjust War =/= Unjust military. Keep fapping the good fap Geo(Changed from Charleslb)."

-Greyparrot

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:16:51 PM

You want us to spell it out for you? Come on.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:17:07 PM
At 4/30/2012 5:15:21 PM, 16kadams wrote:

An army with high suicide rates means they are likely being treated unjustly, our army is......... ugh. Honor them.

It's not because they're being treated unjustly, it's because they're having to fight a war. If I went to war, I would be in a pretty poor emotional state too.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:18:38 PM
At 4/30/2012 5:16:01 PM, OberHerr wrote:

"Unjust War =/= Unjust military. Keep fapping the good fap Geo(Changed from Charleslb)."

-Greyparrot

Hahaha! Nice strawman! Show me where I said the military is unjust? I said it sucks being in the military and that they send you to fight unjust wars.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:19:43 PM
At 4/30/2012 5:18:38 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/30/2012 5:16:01 PM, OberHerr wrote:

-Greyparrot

Hahaha! Nice strawman! Show me where I said the military is unjust? I said it sucks being in the military and that they send you to fight unjust wars.

I know, I know, but I had to use it. :P

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:23:38 PM
Also, @the Suicide thing

There were only 468 suicides, compared to 462 combat deaths. You do realize how extremely low that number is right? COMBINED, they don't even reach 1000.

It's not as if soldiers are dropping left and right from suicide, or combat.

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:28:33 PM
Seriously, I can't think of a single reason why Ober seems to be encouraging people to join.
Having worked for the UK ministry of defence, and met a lot of soldiers, I can't blame them for the heinous actions they must commit, but to actively recommend becoming one of them seems beyond me.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:34:06 PM
At 4/30/2012 5:28:33 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Seriously, I can't think of a single reason why Ober seems to be encouraging people to join.
Having worked for the UK ministry of defence, and met a lot of soldiers, I can't blame them for the heinous actions they must commit, but to actively recommend becoming one of them seems beyond me.

Not actively recommending you join, jut saying how its not as bad as their putting it as.

I have talked to several soldiers as well, one of which is my cousin that lost almost all use of his arm from an IED explosion in Iraq(torn out the muscles).

He said that, while its tough, the chances of it happening to you are pretty low, and death rate is EXTREMELY low.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to glamorize it. It's not Rambo, most of its boring, and its not very fun, or comfortable.

Just annoys me when people say stuff like what Geo said.